back to article Ex-eBay execs jailed for cyberstalking web critics

Two now-former eBay executives who pleaded guilty to cyberstalking charges this year have been sent down and fined tens of thousands of dollars. James Baugh, ex-senior director of safety and security at the internet tat bazaar, was sentenced to nearly five years – 57 months – behind bars, plus two years of supervised release …

1. v13
    1. Little Mouse

These guys are rightly being held accountable for their appalling actions.

The corporate culture though must have been something akin to a cult for any group of people to go to such inappropriate lengths on behalf of their company.

Just how deep has the rot set, I wonder?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Given some of the other ex leaders of the company, and what shining lights they've shown themselves to be, one has to wonder how the origin story.

1. Martin-73 Silver badge

Knowing how ebay treats sellers, having been one, harassment doesn't surprise me in the least, it was always about 'the corporation;'

2. cantankerous swineherd

execs getting jailed? highly unusual, what's different about these two?

1. An_Old_Dog Silver badge

Nature of the Charges

The difference here is the nature of the charges, which for these two, are of a non-financial nature.

From what I've seen, execs facing finance-related charges, typically fraud and conspiracy, tend to get off, unless (a) their executive rank is relatively low-on-the-totem-pole, or (b) the amount defrauded is low.

Execs facing fraud charges for really, really big amounts tend to get off, unless they've angered someone with both a lot of money and power. That may be because the execs with the most potential for major-money fraud (usually insider trading) are those highest on the totem pole, and consequently were already rich and had rich and powerful friends with influence to help them. It also may be that because they are rich, they can afford extremely effective defense attorneys.

Stalking is not considered "white-collar crime".

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Nature of the Charges

Ah, the now standard single downvote on any comment critical of American business. We see you!

1. chivo243 Silver badge
          Terminator

Re: Nature of the Charges

yeah, there's one in every crowd... I offset that with an upvote.

2. DJO Silver badge

They are "Former execs" so have lost their "Executive immunity".

3. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

It is unusual, and I'm glad to see it. When the story originally broke, it looked like eBay higher-ups had gone to some trouble to make the younger participates (Popp, Stockwell, and Zea, all of whom pled guilty after charges were filed) the scapegoats for the whole thing. At least one of them had an inflated title to suggest she had oversight of the operation.

It appears neither prosecutors nor juries were persuaded by those maneuvers.

3. Winkypop Silver badge
    Devil

Execs in prison

Cats and dogs living together

It’s the end times folks!!

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Execs in prison

That's ridiculous. Why, my cats and dog ... oh, wait. Damn.

4. chivo243 Silver badge
    Go

Checking hell, no not frozen

What is happening? Upstanding, pillars of the community jailed?

/s

Nice that the courts aren't just whitewashing this one...

5. Ozumo

I'm confused, is the guy's name Bough or Baugh? It changes several times in the article.

1. notyetanotherid

There are just two places where it is mistyped as "Bough", but why not try the Send news / corrections link to get it corrected...?

6. Howard Sway Silver badge

eBay executives who pleaded guilty to cyberstalking charges

Send them emails twice a week whilst they're locked up advertising other great prison sentences that are also available.

7. jollyboyspecial

"Defendants Wenig and Wymer provided the other defendants with carte blanche authority to terminate the reporting of the Steiners by whatever means necessary."

Good luck with that. It's one thing proving that somebody did something, it's another thing entirely proving somebody else instructed them to do it. While you may have grounds to suspect that the big boys told them to do it and ran away you still need to find evidence of that.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They were at a minimum wilfully negligent in not establishing what had been done.

Hopefully the civil case will bring more facts to the surface, and the criminal prosecution they deserve will follow.

I'm (a bit) surprised that ebay hasn't gone straight to a substantial settlement to get ahead of it, and totally thrown the execs to the wolves.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The harrassment was more than just calling them nasty names

Being called nasty names online is just par for the course (for women, probably for POC, nonconforming genders, as well) BUT the heavy penalties were for sending them physical objects, trying to smear their reputations or interfere with their livelihoods, threats of every sort of harm. If they can prove that their work supervisors knew about, encouraged or abetted it, that whole department of the company needs to get removed.

9. ecofeco Silver badge

You hate to see it

NOT! Bwahahahahahaha!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like