back to article Microsoft warns of North Korean crew posing as LinkedIn recruiters

Microsoft has claimed a North Korean crew poses as LinkedIn recruiters to distribute poisoned versions of open source software packages. The state-sponsored group has been around since 2009 and was allegedly behind the 2014 attack on Sony Pictures in retaliation for the controversial Seth Rogen comedy The Interview. Dubbed " …

1. Mayday
    Devil

This is still better

Than half the shit “real” recruiters send me on LinkedIn 20 times a day.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ZincedIn?

(apparently 'Zinced' is word even though it looks so wrong!)

3. Mike 137 Silver badge

"educating end users can go a long way in protecting personal and business information"

Such education as "don't bother with linkedin any more". It was once (a very long time ago) moderately useful, but since the MS takeover it's degenerated into a third class source of spam and fraudulent probes. Unfortunately though, a lot of recruiters won't look at you if you're not on it - probably because they can't be arsed to look at multiple separate reference points, but just go exclusively to linkedin as that's the least effort route to getting their commission. The candidate is just sausage filling.

1. Auntie Dix
      Stop

Cesspool Hype / Re: "educating end users can go a long way..."

> "Unfortunately, though, a lot of recruiters won't look at you if you're not on it"

What a load of baloney! Stop repeating that ridiculously false hype.

Professionals know that LinkedIn has been a cesspool from day one, another "social" Fecesbook of narcissists, creeps, and the insecure. Maybe, you are in another part of the world, but in the U.S., LinkedIn has been a yawn for years.

1. MachDiamond Silver badge

Re: Cesspool Hype / "educating end users can go a long way..."

LinkedIn is ok for a very limited amount of ok. I have a very dialed back profile on it mainly as a way for people to find me if we lose touch. My real name is common as muck so somebody trying to look me up is going to get stymied right from the get go so if they can search by a company we may have both worked at or they know some of my background, they have a better chance.

I too get all sorts of recruiter messages and they mostly go right into my email trash folder. I rarely see one that is in anyway a good match for what I do and those will universally will be positions in a super high cost of living area with a very paltry compensation package if they state one at all. I'm not selling my paid for home to move someplace where a year's rent will eat up the sales price. Well, maybe two years, but not long. I'd also not step into a more junior role than the last one I held. Besides, it would take a lot of convincing to make me really want to go back to a full time job when I've been self-employed as long as I have.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "educating end users can go a long way in protecting personal and business information"

> a lot of recruiters won't look at you if you're not on it

You need to sign up with better agencies.

Incidentally, chances are I won't offer you a job if you *are* on linked in. Twofold reasons: the best people usually don't need to advertise themselves, and those who post stuff in linked in and such are a liability from a confidentiality point of view. Even innocent looking bits of info can cause a lot of damage when the opposition puts all the small bits together.

4. ElRegioLPL

Imagine explaining that one to your boss

" I was looking for a new job on the work laptop and got tricked by a fake recruiter "

1. MachDiamond Silver badge

"Imagine explaining that one to your boss

" I was looking for a new job on the work laptop and got tricked by a fake recruiter ""

One of the reasons you should never be job hunting from work or on company computers. Even if you are just curious about the job market and salaries, you may wind up needing a new job in short order or get passed over for a promotion if you boss sees that activity. Why would they promote you or give you a rise if it looks like you are getting ready to leave?

5. Auntie Dix
    Big Brother

Jobs In North Korea! (Not Steve. He Outsourced to Children in China)

I do not know which attracts me more to the Father-and-Son-land, the...

• Consistently simple, affordable wardrobe

• Year-round, slimming famine

• Scarcity of cell-phone yakkers

• Traffic-jam-free main roads

• "Green" non-use of 24/7 electricity

• Beatings until morale improves

• "Social" surveillance to make me feel like a celebrity

Unfortunately, the PRiKs do not have 7-11 stores, and I am not willing to give up my right to Slurpee.

6. Winkypop Silver badge
    Trollface

LinkedIn

Now there’s ya problem!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like