back to article This rope-laying, ever-growing robot may one day explore your blood vessels

Inspired by plants and fungi, scientists have devised a method to help so-called soft robots travel along tricky pathways by growing as they move. Unlike their more traditional metallic counterparts, soft robots have flexible bodies and their motion is controlled by manipulating materials to shuffle them along on their journey …

1. Christoph

The friction problem will still happen when they try to extract the thread.

1. John Robson Silver badge

I suspect the trick is to *not* extract it, but use it as a strengthening agent for a weak vascular wall.

2. Little Mouse
      Coat

Nano dental floss for those hard-to-reach back teeth? Friction would be ideal.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Stop

"this tube can reach as much as 1.5 m in length"

I'm not very comfortable with the idea of a 1.5m tube loged in my veins.

1. Tubz Silver badge

Re: "this tube can reach as much as 1.5 m in length"

You would be if your veins suffered from supply problems or risk collapsing, this is a great development for future medical procedures, without the risk of major surgery.

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
        Pint

Have a upvote for your curiously appropriate nick.

2. LybsterRoy Silver badge

Can anyone remind me of how many miles of veins are ina typical human body. No don't bother GOOGLE to the rescue

To give you some perspective, a strand of human hair measures about 17 micrometers. But if you took all the blood vessels out of an average child and laid them out in one line, the line would stretch over 60,000 miles. An adult’s would be closer to 100,000 miles long.

Seems like it needs to grow a bit more.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Help!

I've been practicing bowing before a Robot Overlord but how the hell am I supposed to bow when it's a Robot Innerlord?

4. Jan K.

"Soft robots are expected to be able to navigate through difficult environments, such as the human body..."

Uh, sounds like something google and meta would be drooling all over...

Besides that, interesting article. Thanks!

5. jlturriff

Where does the robot store its liquid polymer, and when it has done its work, what happens to the tube? One hopes that it degrades safely into non-toxic waste?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wow.. just wow...

This describes some toon pron to a T. Being touches goo, goo invades holes, being turns into goo. I bet toy makers want this too. Toys that grow deep when they're in, wheeee!

Anon cause ima dirty tosser.

7. J.G.Harston Silver badge

There's some similarly fascinating work being done on non-rigid self-extending "snakes", which - because they are non-rigid - are retractable. They are essentially a tube stored inside itself, and it extends by inflating the intervening space. This is one of them.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like