back to article Iran blocks Whatsapp, Instagram as citizens protest death of Mahsa Amini

Iran is experiencing a near-total internet service disruption in the west and intermittent interruptions nationwide, with access to Instagram, Whatsapp and some mobile networks being blocked, says Netblocks. While Twitter and Facebook were banned in Iran years ago, Instagram and WhatsApp remained as one of the few accessible …

1. VoiceOfTruth Silver badge

USA / Albania

-> US government agencies warn Iranian hackers accessed Albania's government network for over a year

Probably they know this because the USA has had access longer to "protect" Albania.

1. Furious Reg reader John

Re: USA / Albania

Really, is this the best you can manage as a diversion from the main news being covered in the article?

The genocidal nutjobs in charge of Iran seem to have underestimated the population's desire to be suppressed. We may even see those nutjobs swinging from the cranes that they've been using to execute the people who don't conform to their nutjob ideals.

1. DS999 Silver badge

Give him a break, he has to do anything he can to make himself seem useful in his current role as Russian propagandist. Otherwise he's going to be handed a rifle and sent to Ukraine to become another victim of Putin's increasing desperation.

2. Khaptain Silver badge

"The genocidal nutjobs in charge of Iran seem to have underestimated the population's desire to be suppressed. "

Wait until the November elections in the US before being too loud.

1. Furious Reg reader John

Iran is killing people for not covering their heads or for falling in love with the wrong type of person.

But you somehow think that isn't as bad as the coming US elections? You are a turd.

1. Snowy Silver badge
            Mushroom

Worse than that they are killing women for not covering their heads correctly. She was arrested for her hijab being to loose.

2. An_Old_Dog Silver badge

Alternate Commo Methods

I wonder how long it will be before the supressed people start using unauthorized radio and TV transmitters as alternate methods of mass communication, or perhaps even mimeographed newsletters.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Re: Alternate Commo Methods

And it might not even be too long before they start actually meeting in bars( shisha not alcohol) and restaurants.

Twitter is dead, long live actual face to face communication.

2. 3arn0wl

Re: Alternative Communication Methods

I was thinking much the same thing : Another advert for decentralised communications apps, like Matrix or even Briar.

1. Snowy Silver badge

Re: Alternative Communication Methods

Nice idea but if the communication networks are down not a lot is going to work, unless they use Wi-Fi.

Face to face meetings at Friday prayers.

3. Danny 2

Tehranical wrecks

I'm sure I'd told this before, but apropos.

I dated a beautiful, successful Iranian émigré. She said she was going back to visit her family and I said I'd go with her. I've seen on TV it is a beautiful country and I'd get to meet her parents. "You can't come, they'll kill you."

"Your parents will kill me? I admit I never really like meeting parents but that is the best excuse ever."

"No, silly, my parents would love you. The mullahs would kill you, and me too because we are not married."

I look forward to the day the theocracy falls and Iranian women get to safely flaunt their fancy clothes, painted nails etc at football matches.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Tehranical wrecks

Things would never have got this bad if the Brits and Yanks hadn't colluded with the Shah in order to get at all that lovely oil. Unfortunately, just one of the many truly shameful episodes.

4. Snowy Silver badge
    Holmes

The best we can do

Is stay out of it, unless we want another Afghanistan.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The best we can do

The problem is, the English and 'Merican's are directly responsible for this, propping up the Shah and his decadent descendant....

1. Snowy Silver badge
        Coat

Re: The best we can do

The UK did much worse than just propping up the Shah who do you think put him into power?

It is far to late is the day to fix what we did in 1953, but even before then they where a pawn in the great game, starting around 1813 and the end of the Russo-Persian war.

5. Potemkine! Silver badge

express political discontent and communicate freely

They aren't standard features in dictatorships.

It's easy to guess why Iran and Russia are so close, they share so much. The motto 'Dictatorships around the World, unite!" works well.

== Bring us Dabbdy back! ==

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like