back to article Fitbit users will have to sign into Google from 2023

As part of its takeover of Fitbit, Google will begin requiring customers to use Google accounts to manage their fitness-tracking devices, reigniting privacy concerns over the acquisition in 2019. As of now, owners of Fitbit devices maintain a separate online account that isn't connected to Google, except where users have …

1. TimMaher Silver badge
    Mushroom

That’s gone then.

No hope that my FatBat is going to be Googled.

1. Falmari Silver badge
      Mushroom

Re: That’s gone then.

I have two Fitbits one with a UI and one that is just a band. The UI one was for day to day use and monitor gym sessions. The band was used for swimming. But I have not used them for almost two years because Google now own them.

Now while I found the Fitbit to be a very useful tool in the Gym for setting workout routines, I am not wiling to share my data with Google* for it.

*Yes I know Google have all my data Fitbit already had, nothing I can do about that, but I am not going to give them anymore.

1. Joe W Silver badge

Re: That’s gone then.

I have one of them tracker thingies, but the swim function plain sucks for real workouts. I'll buy a waterproof stop watch, makes more sense. Or buy our local pool a lap clock (the swim club has a portable one they set next to their lanes, so they might enjoy the convenience as well).

2. Flip

I'll be done after the next time change

The Fitbit mobile app will not install on my cellphone, so I have been managing it using the desktop browser. Fitbit has already announced that desktop browser management will be discontinued in October, which means my watch will be an hour out of sync with local time when it switches from daylight to standard.

3. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Can the loophole have a loophole?

What if Google aggregates anonymized data from anonymized apps? The fitness data might be from Fitbit but there'd be no way of knowing for sure. It could be from Maps, the Weather widget, a smartwatch, and other sources. Surely they've figured this out or they would have already turned the Fitbit system off

1. Jellied Eel Silver badge

Re: Can the loophole have a loophole?

What if Google aggregates anonymized data from anonymized apps?

I think the loophole is glaring from the statement-

Osterloh said Google made "a series of binding commitments that confirm Fitbit users' health and wellness data won't be used for Google ads and this data will be separated from other Google ads data,"

But AlphaGoo will share and sell the data to it's medical divsion, healthcare companies, insurers etc etc.

4. J. Cook Silver badge

Some back story: I'm actively looking for a fitness tracker, with some specific requirements.

While fitbit checked most of the boxes, what took them off my 'will consider' list was the inconsistent build quality and QA across their range, and the most irritating of all, the fact that most of the features I want under the "must have" list all required signing up for the premium service.

Bias: I had a gen 1 fitbit Flex way back when, and stopped using it when it decided one fine day to not interact with it's charging cradle, no matter how much I futzed with it.

1. Joe W Silver badge

I have been looking for a sports watch to replace my polar RS300. Not a polar as their customer service now sucks a lot. I used to be able to drop in at their repair desk, hand over the watch, get told what the service would be and cost, drink a coffee, and get back the watch. Alas, no longer. My experience with their new mail in service was abysmal, so no thanks.

Not fitbit.

Gamin is stupid expensive and needs charging constantly

Pebble might have ticked all sorts of boxes, no longer exists.

Mifit has the same issues as fitbit

Yeah, I'm sort of stuck.

I'll go to poundland and get an ultra cheap stop watch, I guess. I think I can live without an Hr monitor at the moment for cycling and running, but swim workouts (and speed work on the track) need a stop watch.

1. Headley_Grange Silver badge

"Gamin is stupid expensive and needs charging constantly"

Garmin is stupid expensive - can be true.

Garmin websites apps and support are crap - true.

Garmin needs charging constantly - partly true. The Instinct Solar runs for weeks as just a watch and for many hours of activity tracking, especially if it's sunny, and you can tweak settings to save power. It's not got a colour screen, no maps, no apps, no music, no tap-and-pay, but I use mine for planning and tracking hiking, cycling and swimming and I'd recommend it for those activites, especially if you're out all day. I don't work for them.

2. chickendippers

Withings

Have you considered Withings? They're a French company. Which may be a good or bad thing depending on your point of view.

But my watch has worked reliably for years and only needs charging every couple of weeks.

1. Joe W Silver badge

Re: Withings

Yeah, no stop watch :( so no. They look nice, though!

I guess I'll get a "normal" watch with a stopwatch complication (or something)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Exactly why I didn't buy another fitbit when my old one died.

6. M.V. Lipvig Silver badge
    Big Brother

No idea why the surprise

All the marketing said that Fitbit tracks your physical activities. Why are you Fitbit users upset that your physical activities are being tracked? Tracking you is its only job!

1. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Re: No idea why the surprise

There are a ton of products I'd buy if the collected data stayed in my ownership and the product's assistance wasn't tainted by an outside entity. This is why we may never have a future with robots. You can't trust the maker.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: You can't trust the maker.

What, humans? :-)

2. doublelayer Silver badge

Re: No idea why the surprise

You know the difference between track (to collect data so it can be known by the user) and mine (to take data from someone else and use it for other purposes). I'm pretty sure you understand that there are people who want to collect that data but don't want Google to have it.

7. Lorribot

Now Google will know how excited you are at receiving those adverts for those heart pills you didn't know you needed since you forgot to opt out of the NHS giving Google all its data.

1. BebopWeBop
      Facepalm

I dod. I suspect it was ignored.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Penal Tracking bracelets

that is all.

1. captain veg Silver badge

Re: Penal Tracking bracelets

I'm no expert, but I think it's supposed to go around your wrist.

-A.

9. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Headley_Grange Silver badge

And I fully expect that when it happens they'll be fined what looks like a huge amount but is actually only a couple of hours profit and then they'll do it again.

10. Wade Burchette

GooBit

"It looks like your heart rate has fluctuated the last two days. FitBit recommends Expensiveall, a new drug from Astra-Zenica. With Expensiveall, you can control your irregular heartbeats with just one pill a day! Side effects include poverty, worry over bills, death, explosive diarrhea, irregular heartbeat, and zombie toes. These are not all the possible side effects. Tap YES to call your doctor today and be sure to say 'Dr. Smith, I WANT EXPENSIVEALL'. Tap No to be reminded in 5 minutes to call Dr. Smith about Expensiveall."

Google doesn't need to mix your health data with the other personalized data to be creepy. They can just monitor your health to start pushing expensive drugs or other high-profit treatments on you.

11. Bitsminer Silver badge

HP tried this too

My old-ish inkjet suddenly demanded that I login to the HP website before it would print. The result of some un-asked-for software update I think.

Nope.

After a bit of searching and tinkering (and software deletes and reboots) I discovered there was an "enterprise IT" class of printer driver that did not require login.

Perhaps there is an "enterprise class fitness device" that requires only your own enterprise to log in?

(not really /s)

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

When Google (or Facebook or Amzon or ...) announces "we're going to buy a line of products"...

... ask yourself which products they really refer to.

13. 43300 Silver badge

Not that any of this was predictable!

Just avoid all of this technocrap as much as possible. Yes, I know it's difficult in some cases (and yes, I do have a smartphone) but the more opportunities these mega corporations have to collect data, they more of it they will collect to use in their own interests (and these are unlikely to coincide with the best interests of their 'customers').

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Unuasable even as a basic watch without going through google 1st

A long time ago, pre google buying fitbit, I tried out a fitbit. Turns out it couldn't even be used as a basic watch, or anything else, without going through Google 1st. Decided not to though with this, and returned it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like