back to article Nvidia unveils RTX 4090 – but it's the 4080 to watch out for

Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang unveiled his GPU giant's flagship RTX 40-series graphics cards at GTC today. Powered by Nv's Ada Lovelace microarchitecture and a TSMC 4nm process, the RTX 4090 and 4080 are said to offer more than twice the performance of the previous 3090 TI and 3080 TI flagships. Kicking things off with the RTX 4090 …

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Sounds like the 4080 12GB is a 4070 with a typo in the slide deck

1. Mayday
      Terminator

I reckon the 4070 will be some 8GB job when we are graced with its presence.

1. Piro Silver badge

Re: 4070

8 GB is a joke so many generations on. The 290X had an 8GB variant back in 2014.

It's not suitable for a mid/high-end card any longer, they need to leave 8GB to the xx60 and lower.

But yes, the 4080 is a 4070 rebranded to bump the price.

2. WonkoTheSane

Not a typo.

Done deliberately so they can charge 4080 money for a 4070.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So more and more overpriced power hungry junk from Nvidia.

Just want a low profile 10 tflop+ 4050 card from Nvidia.

Would love for AMD and Intel to take this market from them.

3. Piro Silver badge

Bottom is falling out of crypto..

.. largely due to Ethereum going proof-of-stake.

NVIDIA won't be able to sell these overpriced toys in a market flooded by used cards.

You'd think they're running a professional urine extraction outfit with those prices.

1. The Dogs Meevonks Silver badge

Re: Bottom is falling out of crypto..

They recently admitted they were with holding 30xx series stock from the market to keep the prices higher because they didn't want them to drop and risk harming the extortionate prices they wanted to charge for the 40xx series.

They seem to think that we're still in a shortage and scalper market kept inflated by a crypto boom.

899 for a 4070... sorry.... stripped down 4080. 1100 for an actual 4080... what is that... about a 40% price bump over 3080 original prices?

I too am hoping AMD can do to nvidia what they've done to intel... and I'm rooting that over the next few years intel GPU's mature and provide more competition.

Let's hope EVGA can also be convinced to start producing cards for AMD and maybe even intel down the road.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Bottom is falling out of crypto..

I'm a huge EVGA fan, current card is still going strong (1080ti) and when it does fail I will want to replace it with an EVGA one, even if I have to go second hand for a 30 series card.

I don't care if it's Nvidia or AMD these days though.

4. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

An RTX4060 would be more my kind of thing. And £350 tops, thank you very much.

5. Zenubi

Looking forward to my 4080

Looking forward to a 4080 replacing my 4 (?) year old 1080ti.

People may moan about price but I don't really care - it is what it is and, in hobby cost terms not so expensive - seen the price of a bike frame or decent DSLR lens recently?

We buy tech for what it can do and this looks like the first card to render 4k at a decent frame rate.

I am hoping that the 12GB version is enough though as power consumption is a thing now.

1. Piro Silver badge

Re: Looking forward to my 4080

See, you fell for the confusion. The 12GB 4080 isn't a 4080.

6. WonkoTheSane
    Boffin

Room for a 4090Ti

Apparently, the 4090 doesn't max out its chip, leaving room for a 4090Ti next year.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I think my much better option than a $1000CAD+ 30 or 40 series card is to stop buying new games.

It isn't like I do all that much game playing; I'm just a pack rat who gets wowed by the graphics sizzle of the newer games.

8. Cuddles

Caps lock stuck?

Ti, not TI. It's the chemical symbol for the element titanium, not an acronym.

1. RM Myers
      Headmaster

Re: Caps lock stuck?

Thank you! With all the depressing news about the pandemic over the last 2 years, it is good to see a return to the pedantic.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like