back to article Grand Theft Auto 6 maker confirms source code, vids stolen in cyber-heist

Take-Two Interactive confirmed on Monday that its Rockstar Games subsidiary has been compromised and confidential data for Grand Theft Auto 6 has been stolen. It also appears at least some of the material was leaked online via a message board. "Rockstar Games recently experienced a network intrusion in which an unauthorized …

1. karlkarl Silver badge

Ooh, so there is potential for some digital preservation of GTA (5 it seems).

This is unfortunate news for the shareholders admittedly but pretty darn good news for keeping fun games alive. Personally I would rather GTA 3 but I suppose it isn't exactly a buffet!

Now that the source is out, they should consider selling licenses to it for personal use (I imagine many individuals will pay much more for the code than the compiled build itself). Perhaps we can get some patchkits going for BSD/Linux ports. OK, now I am dreaming ;)

2. martinusher Silver badge

Should, if anything, enhance their business

I'd guess that these games are built like movies, sophisticated story telling that runs on a highly optimized platform. So leaking the look and feel isn't going to result in a rash of pirated games and actually might enhance their business.

GTA is more than a game, though. Its a cultural icon whether we like it or not so like other cultural entities of similar statue it needs to be preserved in some form for posterity like we do for movies, books, music and so on.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. RobThBay

Re: Should, if anything, enhance their business

The other thing lazy non-engineers say is.... don't worry, hardware is always getting faster.

1. RAMChYLD

Ah yes, the preferred quip of quiche eaters.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. FIA Silver badge

GTA 5 online takes a dogs age to load. The reason, a JSON parser that ends up calling strlen... a lot!

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Howard Sway Silver badge

confidential data for Grand Theft Auto 6 has been stolen.

Gotta take the positives from the situation - realise that moaning about being the victim of a theft, when your game is all about much how fun robbing people is supposed to be is going to sound a little bit conflicted. So go postmodern, and add a task to the game where you have to steal the source code to the actual game you're playing. You could even let the players view some code if they are successful and sit back and laugh as they excitedly post the "top secret game code" containing a Bubblesort function all over the web.

1. RobThBay

Re: confidential data for Grand Theft Auto 6 has been stolen.

Bubblesort :)

There's a term I haven't heard in decades.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

4. steviebuk Silver badge

Ooooo

coughPRstuntcough

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Re: Ooooo

I thought the same thing.

I won't begin to say how disappointed I am that GTA 6 won't be set in London as a more modern retake of GTA London.

2. A. Coatsworth Silver badge

Most likely!

The most important bit ofinformation derived from this "hack" is that Rockstar is working on an actual GTA 6, and not in yet another re-release of GTA V

3. TimMaher Silver badge
      Pint

Nasty cough you’ve got there @stevie. Have a beer.——>

1. steviebuk Silver badge

Thanks, but I don't drink :)

I'll never forget their dirty deal with the dirty dealer Max Clifford. Create a hoax outcry for the game to make people want to buy it. Sadly, it worked on me as a friend mentioned it and we went to buy it. Got it home and I was disappointed by the old style top down graphics. So fuck them, I may have copied the disc then took it back. May or may not have applied a crack to "carry on trying it out". Didn't feel bad after finding out about the Max Clifford bullshit.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Meanwhile a spokesperson for Valve confirmed that they have not been hacked and parts of HalfLife 3 have leaked.

5. Felonmarmer

If they don't put in a mission based on this leak, then they will be missing a trick.

1. Piro Silver badge

That was old Rockstar. Who knows what the game will be like now, my hopes aren't high. GTA V was in many ways, worse than GTA IV, and both had a less amibtious scope than SA.

1. Down not across

One word. Trevor.

6. Scott Broukell

Most unfortunate. Still, I hope the good folk over at Rockstar Games don't beat themselves up over it . . . . oh wait!

7. alain williams Silver badge

Grand theft source code

A great new game for us all to play!

8. MachDiamond Silver badge

All these years

Way back just after the asteroid/comet hit and the dinosaurs were killed off, there was a movie where the protagonist was shown war dialing numbers to try and break into a computer game company to get a look at the new games coming out. Since then, game companies have still had their code exposed/available for access online. Not just them, but movie studios too and they are all amazed when something like this happens. You'd think they'd not connect those servers to the internet or do a bit more to protect that code.

9. Missing Semicolon Silver badge

cloudy

I never understand why corporate VPNs are so out of fashion. Code on the public internet (github), collaboration there (slack, Jira). Back in the day this would have been in the office, behind a firewall.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like