back to article Queen's shooting star was actually meteor, not SpaceX junk

The fireball spotted charging through the night-time skies of Scotland and Northern Ireland this week, initially thought to have been some fallen SpaceX hardware, was a meteor after all, according to the UK Meteor Network. Skywatchers were shocked by a bright object whizzing by overhead late on Wednesday. A video capturing the …

1. xyz Silver badge

Predator

I remember the film.

1. KittenHuffer Silver badge

Re: Predator

He'd have to wrap up warm, cos Predators were supposed to like it hot. And Jockland ain't renowned for being hot and steamy!

1. WanderingHaggis
        Pint

Depends on the pub.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They made a film of that?!

3. EvilDrSmith Silver badge

If the object was heading north towards the arctic, is there a research vessel called Aurora heading that way? On board, a young Belgian journalist, with a small white dog named Snowy?

1. MarkMac

Pretty sure Kurt Russell will be digging it out of the ice in a few decades, then wondering where his flamethrower is...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Comets were traditionally a sign of Great Change, ill Omen, & Impending Disaster

1066 and all that.

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Re: Comets were traditionally a sign of Great Change, ill Omen, & Impending Disaster

Did the meteor appear before or after Charles experienced his problems with his pen?

2. Ganso

Re: Comets were traditionally a sign of Great Change, ill Omen, & Impending Disaster

Yup, not only on this side of the pond.

3. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
    Pint

Thats Pretty Close

To what I witnessed in November 2020 driving out of my home city in Southern Canada.

Alas no dash cam footage, but not something easily forgotten.

1. Paul Herber Silver badge

Re: Thats Pretty Close

'Southern Canada'

Is this a new country? Are you declaring independence? I think you'll be a bit late to get an invitation to Westminster Abbey!"

4. Roger Greenwood

Mars you say

The chances of anything coming from Mars.....

1. sinsi

"Are a million to one" he said

Thankyou for the most delicious earworm

1. TheMaskedMan Silver badge

Re: "Are a million to one" he said

But million to one chances come up nine times out of ten.

1. Danny 2

Re: "Are a million to one" he said

I saw some shooting stars last night

I wished on them but they were only satellites

It's wrong to wish on space hardware

I wish, I wish, I wish you'd care

~ New England

2. Snowy Silver badge
      Alert

Re: Mars you say

As I read this World of the Worlds is on the TV.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Travelling North West

That's all you need to rule out Starlink, and most other satellites. Launching towards the East gets you nearly an extra 1000MPH free of charge from the earth's rotation. No satellite operator would give that up unless they really had to. There are some in polar orbits, but then it would be going north or south with nowhere near that much of a westerly component.

1. MarkMac

Re: Travelling North West

Our initial analysis based on had it moving more due north and at 4km/s but the angles were bad on the cameras which were quite close to each other. Once my colleagues found additional data from cameras with diffrerent views we reanalysed it and got more accurate results which led to a re-evaluation of the conclusion. Science at work :)

1. M.V. Lipvig Silver badge

Yes, and it's nice for a change. Too much of the "This is the way it is, period, and you may not question it." Then a week later, "This is the way it is, period, and you may not question it." and the premise is the polar opposite of last week's proclamation. Science by man is not absolute and is not necessarily correct, and is just the best guess available using current tools. Unfortunately these days, science too often is what the person paying for it wants it to be. Proclaiming your science-derived guesses as absolute, indisputable fact that may not be challenged changes it from science to religion.

Me, I'm all for science, and I don't mind if you're guessing. If you're guessing, you're still investigating but if you're proclaiming then your mind just closed and you stopped being a scientist.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Proclaiming your science-derived guesses as absolute, indisputable fact that may not be challenged changes it from science to religion."

Luckily, most science isn't like that and the published papers can be read, showing that. How the press spin the stories, or worse, how the PR from the company or Government sponsoring it might spin it is what leads to the "absolutist science" we keep seeing in the media.

6. Roj Blake Silver badge

Islay

It was clearly aliens picking up some supplies from the Laphroaig distillery.

1. Roger Kynaston

Re: Islay

Nah - Lagavulin or Bruichladdie. Or so says my boss lady.

1. Graham Cobb Silver badge

Nope... Bowmore.

But Ardbeg has the best views.

1. agurney

.. and Lagavulin has the best anchorage

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Do spacecraft use or need anchors?

1. Frank Bitterlich

Depends on whether they broke into the on-board supply of single malt already on their way here...

2. Graham Cobb Silver badge

...mutter, mutter ...grumble... "a remote, southern island of the Inner Hebrides of Scotland."

Since when do you need to tell people where Islay is? Surely everyone drinks Scotch? :-)

And it's only remote by US standards. It's got two ferry routes and an airport!!

Now, if you really want remote Hebridean islands...

3. Piro Silver badge

I was hoping to see a string of whisky related comments. The good commenters of El Reg did not disappoint.

7. breakfast Silver badge
    Alien

Red dots, eh?

Fiery meteors landing in the deep sea? I've read The Kraken Wakes and suffice to say if this is an invasion of that kind then they're not going to be able to manage their main strategy (deliberately melting the ice caps so the land is inundated) because we're already doing it ourselves! In your face, deep-living-aliens-from-maybe-one-of-Jupiter's-moons-or-wherever!

1. Paul Kinsler

Re: deep-living-aliens-from-maybe-one-of-Jupiter's-moons-or-wherever!

E.g. IIRC, "Creatures of the Abyss", Murray Leinster:

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/42901

I don't remember their long term strategy, however. But unlikely to be the alternative "use explosives to blow up all the land" like in the "War with the Newts", if that helps ...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I saw two shooting stars last night

I wished on them but they were only satellites

It's wrong to wish on space hardware

1. teknopaul

Re: I saw two shooting stars last night

It's OK if it's military space hardware

9. DS999 Silver badge

I saw one in the UK once

Brightest I ever saw BY FAR - light the sky up like it was daytime (though maybe it only seemed that way with our eyes dark adapted wandering through a field far any bright city lights)

About an hour NW of London (in Wroxton) would have been late June 1999 I believe.

1. Potty Professor
      Boffin

Re: I saw one in the UK once

I saw one once some time ago, from my back garden in Rugby, UK. It was interesting in that as it streaked across the sky, in an apparently North-South direction, it suddenly split up into a fan of smaller lights, presumably as it exploded. Complete silence, or at least couldn't be heard above the usual traffic noise from the adjacent Hillmorton Road.

10. rcw88

Islay is NOT REMOTE

Islay is an island in the Inner Hebrides which you can see from the mainland, so its hardly remote, except when the ferries are broken, which is often. St Kilda is remote.

Islay is where most of the best single malt whisky comes from, with the exception of Jura which is reachable by a short and interesting ferry ride from Islay, Jura is the best single malt whisky IMO.

1. TimMaher Silver badge
      Pint

Re: Islay is NOT REMOTE

And you can get a decent Talisker on Skye.

No scotch icon available so———>

11. Russell Chapman Esq.

Biggest meteor I ever saw

Was Christmas Eve of 2011 or 12, not sure which. Was in southern Switzerland. Looked out of window and saw this huge ball of fire, moon sized, slowly burning its way across the sky. Must have been my location in relation to the meteor because it took about 20 seconds to cross the sky from west to east. When I first saw it, I thought it was a plane on fire but it was way to big. Unforgetable experience.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like