back to article Boffins spot baby planet forming around young star – and that's rather cool

Astronomers have found a baby planet hidden in clouds of gas and dust swirling within a young solar system, by studying the accumulation of material around Lagrange points. That's according to research published this week in The Astrophysical Journal Letters.  Studying these protoplanets is difficult. Their stellar nurseries …

1. B83
    Coat

Torys

I love these articles it gives you enough just to see what is happening in the universe. It also shows us how much we have no idea about.

Was the author British and a Tory (dont hate me)........in dust we trust........in Liz we truss

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Torys

You're reading too much into it. It's a throwaway reference to a song by The Chemical Brothers.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Also, now that I think about it, wouldn't "Exit Planet Dust" (the album it apparently came from) have been an even better subheading?

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

That album was released in 1995. Thanks for making me feel old, you utter bastards.

*waves fist at the universe*

1. jake Silver badge

Sometimes '95 seems like just yesterday ... About six months ago I was looking at the album cover for The Stooges Funhouse (autographed by Iggy and framed, on a friend's wall) and realized it had been well over half a century since I first heard it.

Current tunage: Bob Dylan "You're no Good"

2. jake Silver badge

Who you jivin' with that cosmik debris?

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: It also shows us how much we have no idea about

Einstein said it best : “As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”

3. jake Silver badge

I wonder if the British will ever realize that not only does the Universe not run on British politics, the Universe doesn't know, nor care, about British politics.

1. Spherical Cow Silver badge

Au contraire, jake. Everything is connected and everything influences everything else, which means the Universe wouldn't be what it is today without British politics. Of course the difference would be negligible... but not zero.

2. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Why, then, would Mos Eisley Spaceport be described as a wretched hive of scum and villainy, if it doesn't have Tories in it?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Did they really see it?

Or was it some sort of private psychedelic reel?

1. Gotno iShit Wantno iShit
      Pint

Re: Did they really see it?

Oh bravo sir, bravo! ->

2. DJO Silver badge

Astronomers use the language a bit differently from everybody else, for them "see" means "detect", any form of detectable radiation they consider to be "light" and everything that is not Hydrogen or Helium is a "metal".

Best not to let it worry you.

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

You forgot

the XKCD.

3. jake Silver badge

Did you really read the article?

Or is this some kind of verbal Rorsach test?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I read it, but I'm just digging my own hole.

2. Gotno iShit Wantno iShit

Where do I begin answering your questions jake? It doesn't matter, the pills won't help you now.

(yes AC did and yes)

3. J.G.Harston Silver badge

Earworm

Damn you Reg! I've now got "Baby Planet..." going around in my head.

1. Spherical Cow Silver badge

Re: Earworm

Is that where Baby Shark lives?

4. jollyboyspecial

The thing that fascinates me about the whole field of astronomy is the distances. So the astronomers aren't observing a planet forming now, they are observing it forming 518 years ago. Not that I suppose it will have finished forming yet, or for quite some time.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like