back to article Twilio more than decimates staff, CEO says it grew too fast

Twilio has announced a restructuring effort that will end in an 11 percent cut of its workforce.  In an SEC filing, the communication services provider said it was acting "to reduce operating costs, improve operating margins, and shift the company's selling capacity to accelerate software sales." The San Francisco-based biz …

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Who?

Can't remember who they are or what they do.

However I welcomes tech companies now having their workers draw lots and have 10% beaten to death by the other 90%.

1. Lon24

Re: Who?

Today I installed another copy of Twilio Authy. This generates the codes used to login to 2FA sites. It's a non-Google version of Google Authenticator and so helpful to those who wish to keep some of their computing outside the ChoctFact orbit.

It's free so I'm not helping to pay their workforce.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Who?

Authy, yes; they also produce a programmable messaging platform (voice, sms, taskrouters, call center type stuff). Decent, but nearly impossible to navigate their horrendous menu system.

2. SImon Hobson Bronze badge
    Headmaster

Nice to see ...

Nice to see, for a change, someone who still remembers what "decimate" actually means. English teachers up and down the land can rejoice !

Written after another day of a technical course for ${day_job}, with a lecturer with a passion for correctness in technical/scientific communication.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Nice to see ...

Although technically only if they kill them - tough on the workers but makes classics teachers happy

3. thejoelr

Tough for the CEO

He takes personal responsibility for all of it, but nothing happens to him. Must be really rough.

1. O RLY

Re: Tough for the CEO

At least he didn't cry during a video presentation. He kept the levels of bullshit down to what one expects.

2. Mark Exclamation

Re: Tough for the CEO

He'll probably get an increased bonus for fixing the problems he created.

4. ShortStuff

Go Woke, Go Broke

Why doesn't the article mention how they banned conservative truth tellers? This is causing a mass migration away from them to free speech platforms like Rumble.

5. Mayday
    Meh

12 Weeks + 1 week per year

Thats actually rather generous, particularly by American standards. When I've been laid off (Australia) in the past it's been a kick in the arse and not much else. Most American mobs dont even get that.

Either way, I'd prefer to be employed than have a CEO who "accepts responsibility" and "feels terrible" and need to go home and tell the family Im looking for work and can't put food on the table because someone else made a few shit decisions.

1. Kane
      Joke

Re: 12 Weeks + 1 week per year

"When I've been laid off (Australia) in the past it's been a kick in the arse and not much else."

Did you have to pay for the boot leather?

6. RegisterDeez

Ffs, all of my 2fa is with Authy

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
      Thumb Up

How about FreeOTP? It's from Red Hat

https://freeotp.github.io/

7. Cederic Silver badge

ouch

From the Twilio website: "As you all know, we are committed to becoming an Anti-Racist/Anti-Oppression company. Layoffs like this can have a more pronounced impact on marginalized communities, so we were particularly focused on ensuring our layoffs – while a business necessity today – were carried out through an Anti-Racist/Anti-Oppression lens."

-- https://www.twilio.com/blog/a-message-from-twilio-ceo-jeff-lawson

Did.. did he just admit to his entire company (and then post on his company's website so the rest of the world could see it too) that he's sacking people based on their skin colour?

1. martinusher Silver badge

Re: ouch

>that he's sacking people based on their skin colour?

It won't be just skin color because California is rather diverse to start with and if you discriminate against (for example) your Chinese employees then half your useful workforce evaporates (...and there's also a small matter of rather strict CA employment laws). Its more likely to be a cliquey thing, about attitudes and fitting in. That's easier to fudge.

With a lot of these companies its hard to figure out exactly what they make (the line between marketing and reality), whether the product has significant real-world uses rather than being fashionable and how they intend to make money off whatever products they do make.

8. spuck

> Per the email, the cuts are mainly centered around research and development, administration, and go-to-market, "where customers can succeed without as much human intervention," Lawson said.

Playing the dummy here... what other areas of the company are there in a cloudy, PaaS company like this?

> "As of June 2022, Twilio had 8,510 employees"

It boggles my mind that it takes 8k employees to do what Twilio does. They do VoIP, SMS, and an Authy app, right?

9. Cuddles

Patreon

"This comes after Patreon separately laid off its five-strong security team last week."

I'm not sure if it's worse that they've apparently laid off their entire security team, or that a billion dollar multinational only had five people working on security in the first place.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like