back to article Ubuntu gets pre-Koala cloud love

As Mark Shuttleworth preps a new "Karmic Koala" Ubuntu distro suited to life with its head in the Amazon clouds, Thorsten von Eicken has lent a helping hand. Von Eicken is the CTO and co-founder of RightScale, a Santa Barbara, California outfit offering what it calls "a fully automated cloud-management platform." In other …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

Hard-on Heron was bad enough, but now...

"Karmic Koala" ??

And here I thought the Hard-on Heron was a stupid name. What will they come up with next.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

RE: Hard-on Heron was bad enough, but now...

When you create your own Linux distro then you can name it. However, I think your choice will be something like: "Lord Viper Scorpion's Totally Radical OS" is far worse - you spotty little virgin.

3. Ash
    Gates Halo

Wouldn't it be lovely...

... if they put this stuff into the .04 (long term support) releases for the server enviromnent (which is where a lot of cloud services are aimed) and instead focussed on getting consumer tech ready for the .10 releases?

You know, like simple wireless networking? Hmmm? Guys?

Billy G, as his company makes it simple for the (l)user, and that's really all that matters.

4. Efros
    Paris Hilton

Personally

I'm waiting for Quizzical Quagga, Queer Quahog, Querulous Quokka, Questioning Quillback ...

Animal themed OSs bah!

Efros

Puzzled Paris just cos!

5. Dark_rain
    Flame

Sigh

Yet more stupid names from the worlds most useless Linux distro. They've taken Debian and painted it shitbrown.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Ash

Oh god. You've done it now. Brace for impact.

7. John Lawton
    Happy

Wireless networking?

What's the problem, this now works fine for me with Ubuntu 8.10 on my Acer laptop?

8. Rob Beard
    Linux

@ Ash

Not all .04 releases are LTS releases. For instance, 7.04 wasn't an LTS release. AFAIK the LTS releases come out every 2 years so presumably the next LTS release will be 10.04.

My guess is that they want to get this technology out sooner rather than later so it can mature a bit before going in an LTS release (although I do wonder if 12 months is enough to mature it?)

Rob

9. Frank

We are Heading for the ultimate punning release

"During the Karmic cycle we want to ...."

"Karmic Koala .......- will also embrace Eucalyptus," (was that deliberate or a happy accident?)

I think his will get even better (or worse) in future releases. In parallel with the software development, they have a team of comedy scriptwriters working on wordplay jokes.

10. James Hughes

@Ash

Hmm, my Ubuntu wireless works fine....don't remember having any problems setting it up either.

Oh well, horses for course as they say.

11. NB
    Linux

@Ash

simple wireless networking has been available in linux for quite some time now. Sounds like you need a good beating with the clue bat. Although I'd have to say that Wicd is far superior to network-manager.

12. Lindsay Silver badge

Blinky Bill

"a good Koala knows how to see the wood for the trees, even when her head is in the clouds"

I'm sure someone's head's in the clouds, but I'm not so sure it's the Koala...

13. Douglas Lowe
    Linux

@Ash

Ubuntu's NetworkManager was a pile of dross a couple of years ago, but wireless networking has been working nicely on my netbook with the last couple of versions of Ubuntu. In fact in a far more user-friendly manner than the wireless network interface in Windows.

14. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Thumb Up

@Dark_rain

You play with your toys and the rest of us will play with ours. After 25 years of IT I am tired of fighting, I just want to throw it on, tweak the themes and load my software, mainly Oracle and the odd Cedega backed game. I chose Ubby, 'cos Shuttleworth said it would work and it does just that! Can't remember the last time I fought trying to build a new binary driver for my Linux boxes, so long ago now, thanks Mark! Here's the rest of the animal kingdom coming through!

15. Peter Gathercole Silver badge
    Unhappy

@Ash

I've now tried to set up Wireless on XP (don't know Vista, no space for it in my house) using Microsoft Zero Config twice, and each time I've given up, because I just could not get it to work. As soon as I used the vendor supplied tool, it worked fine. I could be missing something here, but Zero Config is a lemon as far as I can tell.

Of course, the Belkin, Linksys, and Dlink wireless apps are all different, so you cannot really say that it is Windows that makes it easy if you use their apps.

For Linux, the secret is to choose a wireless chipset that is well supported. Once you do this, Network Manager (for all it's other faults) works fine. Of course, trying to work out what chipset is used is another problem entirely.

I implore all hardware vendors to support Linux as well as they do Windows. Then people would not blame 'Linux' for it's hardware support.

16. Phil the Geek

@Ash

8.04 with wireless is working just fine here on my 5 year old Dell laptop, complete with the dreaded Broadcom BCM43xx wireless chipset. Like NB, my experience improved when I switched to wicd - NetworkManager has a blind spot with automatic login and the keyring.

17. Dark_rain

@The Fuzzy Wotnot

I'm running Lenny on a Dell D630 with no hassle. I only had to configure ndiswrapper (which is the ONLY way of getting my WIFI working on ANY distrib) and am enjoying the fact that I can just work without having to worry about shoddy code maturity and the lack of QC that Ubuntu suffers from like AIDS.

18. daiakuma

"Karmic Koala": Interesting name

Apart from living on eucalyptus leaves, koalas are famous for having unusually small brains. Is this significant?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like