back to article US throws millions at AI to diagnose diseases by the sound of your voice

The US National Institutes of Health (NIH) has earmarked as much as $14 million in funding to support the training of AI software that can analyze patients' voices to diagnose and study illness. Twelve research institutions led by the University of South Florida (USF) will receive the money to varying degrees over four years …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Incoming pre-employment screening voodoo in 5..4..3..2..

2. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
    Big Brother

I have a bad feeling about this

Momentary mood has an enormous impact on speech. I suspect it's far larger than the early markers of neurodegenerative disease. That brings me to the suspicion that somebody's looking for an excuse to illegally analyze a very large amount of recorded voice data.

1. david 12 Silver badge

Re: I have a bad feeling about this

Deep depression has a classic and easily recognizable characteristic voice.

1. Fred Daggy Silver badge
        Pint

Re: I have a bad feeling about this

"Here I am with a brain the size of a planet and they ask me to pick up a piece of paper. Call that job satisfaction? I don't."

I'd say that is a pretty recognisable symptom.

3. tmTM

Up next on things that won't work

Sure the science is good and you can make something work in a lab.

Zero chance of it operating well outside of those conditions tho, not with background noise, dodgy connections, people that hold their devices out in front of their face to talk.

You'd just end up with tons of false positives, or you'd have to tune the threshold so low you'd miss out genuine cases.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

4. NXM Silver badge

Brain the size of a planet

Marvin the paranoid android would be able to diagnose himself if he installed this. And maybe cure the terrible pain in all the diodes down his left side.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like