back to article OVH opens less flammable datacenter at site of 2021 fire

OVHCloud has opened a datacenter in Strasbourg, on the site of a 2021 fire that destroyed two such facilities. Preliminary findings of an investigation into that fire suggest water leaking onto an inverter kicked things off, before the lack of an automatic fire extinguisher system, delayed cutoff of electricity, and overall …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Facepalm

"the lack of [..] an automatic fire extinguisher system"

What ? They built a datacenter full of electrical equipment and they didn't have a fire extinguishing system in it ?

Well duh.

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Re: "the lack of [..] an automatic fire extinguisher system"

I'm no data centre designer or manager, but the list of design flaws do sound very basic. Almost as if the place was designed by people who had never worked in IT.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge
        Holmes

You mean it's almost like they just filled an existing office building full of kit and never hired a fire protection engineer to risk assess.

1. steviebuk Silver badge

That would of caused delay and money. Sod the staff there that could of died, we just need to save a bit of money.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Well now we have a case study to point at when some business people want some corners cutting...

2. Ozan

That's what I thought. I worked in a lot of industrial plant construction and we always put our batteries in a completely separate building. And then we feed the plant instruments from there.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Interesting how it seems to be general practice to put the UPS/batteries in the bottom of the server cabinet they are protecting...

I suppose its probably ok with sealed lead acid batteries, but lithium?

1. PRR Silver badge
            Flame

> ...general practice to put the UPS/batteries in the bottom of the server cabinet they are protecting... I suppose its probably ok with sealed lead acid batteries, but lithium?

The new kids never learn from their elders. In the telephone racket it was dead-standard to keep all large batteries (mostly lead-acid) in a separate concrete room vented to the outside.

Among other things (evolved Hydrogen at peak charge), the acid fumes made a mess of small relays (once the key technology of telephony).

NEC/NFPA also have pages on battery rooms.

2. Ozan

I haven't been in a plant last three years but I don't think they would touch lithium batteries even with ten meter pole (Hmm maybe with 1000m pole.) Of course that depends on companies you work with.

3. DS999 Silver badge

Almost as if the place was designed by people who had never worked in IT

You mean "almost as if the purchase approvals were made by people who had never worked in IT". I'm sure they had people recommending what they needed, but it was vetoed by those more concerned with the bottom line.

In a just world those responsible for such decisions would be fired, and their name tarnished so they would be forced to accept a lower level job next time around as they'd proven they had Peter principled out at this job. Unfortunately they probably got a bonus from the board for having purchased sufficient fire insurance.

I guess the insurance company never did any due diligence, or they would have really socked it to them in the quote!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"What ? They built a datacenter full of electrical equipment and they didn't have a fire extinguishing system in it ?"

Yep yep. The DC that went in flames was in fact a horrible kludge, as the french press reported (never confirmed by OVH of course).

No flame containment between rooms, no automatic fire extinguisher system, wooden floor everywhere. It was only lacking big petrol tanks in the hosting space to be 100% lethal.

And yes, cut corners, risk the lives of the 2 poor dudes who were on site, the way to go for a successful business !

1. Snake Silver badge

Re: yep yep

Humans never seem to learn from their mistakes

https://youtu.be/q6oC_QX3-G4 (warning: graphic detail)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winecoff_Hotel_fire

What happened to OVH could be fully expected: they planned for fire "containment", same as the "fireproof" buildings in the historical links I've just provided. But "containment" doesn't seem to ever factor in what is inside the building, the materials and furnishings; the planners expect their plans to go...as planned.

Fire has very different rules to play by. You can read that as: No 'rules' at all.

3. Xalran

It used to be the case in all OVH datacenters ( along with some of them being built in wood ).

the only OVH DCs with a fire suppression system were the Canadian ones, because it was a legal requirement.

4. Eclectic Man Silver badge
      Flame

I just wonder how many other data centres are built like the old OVH one, and the management / owners are just hoping they will be lucky, 'coz they cannot afford to retrofit proper design and fire suppressant technology, either financially or because they don't want to have too admit why they are 'refurbishing' the site.

(Fire icon, obvs.)

5. heyrick Silver badge

Just a few weeks ago, the company that washes our work uniforms went up in flames. It's a big place in a major town fifty miles away, so it takes in a lot of clothing from companies, hospitals, etc. Industrial washing machines. Industrial driers. Shitloads of textiles. And apparently not a sprinkler or fire hose in sight. The place was gone in three minutes.

2. wolfetone Silver badge

"Despite liquids being suspected as the cause of the 2021 fire, OVH is still using water cooling for its servers."

So you've learned... nothing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

""Despite liquids being suspected as the cause of the 2021 fire, OVH is still using water cooling for its servers."

So you've learned... nothing."

There is actually quite a lot of efficiency to be gained by WC, so they have a point.

But then, you need basically leak detection systems and good ops, which has yet to materialize from a company that basically only discovered last year that automatic fire extinction is a good idea !

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"basically only discovered last year that automatic fire extinction is a good idea !"

Apart from the reputational damage, I wonder how much they saved across their entire data centre estate by not doing it properly, and how much this loss actually cost them, barring any insurance payouts?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"further reputational damage", surely?

2. TeeCee Gold badge

Somehow I doubt that, of the various liquids that might have been present, it was the water that caught fire.

3. Victor Ludorum

Neat cabling

It might not be the neatest cabling in Octave's pic, but I think pretty much everyone here has seen a LOT worse!

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Neat cabling

Not usually in a newly commissioned build though. Cabling usually takes at least a few hours to self-entangle. :-)

1. Sam not the Viking Silver badge

Re: Neat cabling

Without restraint, cables entangle overnight.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Acronyms

"OVH" could stand for, "Oven Very Hot."

5. Eclectic Man Silver badge

What about

... their other data centres???

6. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Not the job for me

I'm already terrified of having an earthquake hitting while making repairs in my old house's crawlspace I'm not going into the cramped metal box full of batteries and megawatt sparky equipment.

1. A.P. Veening Silver badge

Re: Not the job for me

France isn't earthquake country.

1. sw guy

Re: Not the job for me

Yes it is.

It depends on where in France actually, and. tbh, I do not know status of *this* location

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like