back to article Meta's next-gen Oculus headset kit left in a hotel room

A video showcasing what appears to be Meta's upcoming VR headset has leaked online after the gizmo was apparently left in a hotel room. Video as Facebook sucks for links. pic.twitter.com/J07x5nCLkQ — Kevin Beaumont (@GossiTheDog) September 12, 2022 The unboxing video, posted on Facebook, reveals a clunky black headset …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Kit was "left" in a hotel room

...and totally not intentionally left there as a PR stunt.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Kit was "left" in a hotel room

it was deliberately not intented not to be a new and breakthrough PR stunt that was in no way unmeant not to be photographed and unuploaded to the totally unknown unsocial media that absolutely nobody has not heard of. That's how it didn't happen.

f..., why _did_ I waste 2 min of my _real_ life on this non-event...Alexa, what's wrong with me?!

1. J. Cook Silver badge
        Joke

"In order to determine what is wrong with you, please sign up for Amazon Health by saying 'sign up for Amazon Health.' Terms and conditions in the Alexa App."

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
          Joke

"How long a list would you like!"

1. J. Cook Silver badge
            Go

"There are too many results- please refine your question."

2. Howard Sway Silver badge

I have to agree. Nobody would "forget" to take their top secret prototypes with them, and even if they did the person who "accidentally" found them would not make such a bland video.

I mean, I'd have put the headset on and pretended it worked : "Whoa! This is really shit! Really poor 3D graphics here, not much of interest........Oh look, a virtual storefront : hmmm all they're selling is yet more VR headsets ....... Here comes a giant 3D Mark Zuckerberg, he looks pretty angry..... Why are you naked Mark?........ Aaagh, lasers burning my eyes... can't see! can't see!"

3. steviebuk Silver badge

I've always said this to myself over the recent years of these "leaks".

4. steviebuk Silver badge

Just had a thought about what possibly gives away all these "leaks" over the years for kit as being fake.

Way back when, during Star Trek Next Generation a crew member and his mate broke onto the set after filming for the day (they claim the fire door was left open so didn't technically break in) they were trying to make their own behind the scenes documentary. Instead they moved props about, broke the claim shell table in sick bay and delayed filming the next day, due to having moved props about. Then in 2007 after the tape had been passed around it was finally on YouTube. Eventually, at some point CBS or Paramount had it taken down & continued to do so every time it popped up.

So if these were really "leaks" you expect said companies to fire off loads of take down notices which they never do.

5. Steve Button Silver badge
      Coat

More of a "VR" stunt?

I'll get my coat.

6. Terry 6 Silver badge

My thought too. The improbabilities being far too high.

Kit left in hotel room. Improbable.

Someone other than cleaner gets access. Highly improbable.

Said "someone" being a techie reporter. More chance of winning the lottery. Twice

1. Charlie van Becelaere
        Joke

"My thought too. The improbabilities being far too high. Kit left in hotel room. Improbable. Someone other than cleaner gets access. Highly improbable. Said "someone" being a techie reporter. More chance of winning the lottery. Twice."

Maybe the chap just had a Heart of Gold?

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Sounds like

It would be almost as good as a Zoom meeting.

If it didn't require stupid looking full eye goggles. If it used people's actual faces instead of avatars. If it didn't Zuck.

1. Duffy Moon

Re: Sounds like

Yes, the whole Facebook registration requirement has steered me towards HTC or Valve for my VR headset needs.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meh, ta.

4. trevorde Silver badge

Photos of new VR headset kit leaked

Both fans reported to be really excited

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Photos of new VR headset kit leaked

"Both" fans? Does it run that hot? Battery life must be shit :-)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You didn't tell us the most important piece of this news

*Which* hotel?

Clearly the staff don't adequately clean rooms between guests, so please identify the hotel so we can properly sham.... er, avoid it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like