back to article Chip delivery times fall, but so does demand as global economic conditions worsen

Chip delivery times shrank in August but while some are painting this as a sign that semiconductor shortages are easing, it is most likely an indicator that demand is slowing as economic conditions worsen. Semiconductor lead times averaged 26.8 weeks during August, Bloomberg said, quoting a report from trading and technology …

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge
    Terminator

It will change

Our products use a lot of chips, probably a hundred or more different chips to get an item up and running but we're told that two of the chips will not be available until January so we're not getting the products built now. Once all the needed chips are available we'll be able to start production again.

I expect this is seen everywhere so eventually, once all the "unavailable" chips can be obtained we can build the entire product range. The current issues are leading us to redesign work so things will change but product construction will increase eventually.

2. Flak
    Mushroom

Karma for component touts

Time for some karma for those who bought up large stockpiles of components and try to sell them at crazy prices to desperate manufacturers.

Soon please!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Karma for component touts

I think they profited very nicely from having people over a barrel. We use an old Altera part that should be $30 and we've had to pay $400 at one point in the last year.

I'm still seeing Q4 2023 and Q1 2024 on quotes.

3. tekHedd

Still no low-priority chips anywhere.

Clearly they're prioritizing their bigger customers and high-profit chips. Which is fine right to the point where you need to buy a simple op amp. Yeah, go try to buy a decent audio grade op amp, I'll wait. You'll wait, too; you'll wait about a year.

1. herman

Re: Still no low-priority chips anywhere.

Sure, you may have to wait for a LF351 but there are so many ways to amplify audio. I never use op-amps for audio since one or two transistors are usually enough ( and of course three or four valves are way more fun!).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like