back to article Rest in peace, Queen Elizabeth II – Britain's first high-tech monarch

Queen Elizabeth Alexandra Mary Windsor has died, ending the reign of Britain's longest-serving monarch. She was 96. During her 70 years on the British throne, Queen Elizabeth II oversaw reshaping the monarchy from an austere, closed-off establishment into a more public-facing institution, both in person and via the use of …

1. Cederic Silver badge

ta ta Liz

Not a monarchist. Entirely and utterly respect the person.

Now, need to use these last three stamps while I still can..

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: ta ta Liz

"Now, need to use these last three stamps while I still can.."

Royal mail is already changing its stamps to hi-tech versions. From January 2023 you will have to go through a process to get any unused ones replaced by new ones.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

I suspect the Royal Mint already has the designs for the next set of coins ready. At 96, I suspect a lot of plans where more than just "here's what we will likely need to do" and have been quite detailed, just awaiting set dates, for some time now.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
          Devil

whenever the appearance of paper money changes, all of the note validators need to be updated (or you'll be standing there at the vending machine swearing at it).

2. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

A radio interview said no they don't have new designs ready, but that was talking about postage stamps. It's the same thing, I expect. However, designs are approved by the monarch personally, and no one wanted her late majesty to look over a set for Charles. On the contrary, there are some fancy collectible stamps that she approved and is on and apparently the King has already indicated that these should go ahead on schedule and as is. Philately goes both ways, perhaps.

Yes, I also heard that on the news today too. I was a little surprised that plans were not already in place, just awaiting the final approval. The PO also said they have been told not to pulp or otherwise "waste" the existing stick of stamps, even when new ones with the King[*] on them are ready.

It still feels weird saying "King". I've had 59 years, my entire life, with the "Queen" on money and stamps. (Apart from the many King George and Queen Victoria coins still around when I was younger, pre-decimalisation, some so wor you could barely make out the letting on them)

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: PO also said they have been told not to pulp or otherwise "waste" the existing stick of stamps

In some countries it is felt perfectly acceptable to obliterate the portrait of the prior incumbent. Farouk of Egypt is the best-known example.

A virtual beer if you can come up with an example where King George VI had this treatment.

1. gnasher729 Silver badge

Re: PO also said they have been told not to pulp or otherwise "waste" the existing stick of stamps

In some countries it is totally unacceptable to plan for the death of the head of state. I bought a book about localisation, and one company shipping to Japan made the public holiday for “birthday of the emperor” editable for a case like this one. Not acceptable. The only acceptable solution is to release a software upgrade when needed.

2. Paul Cooper

It still feels weird saying "King". I've had 59 years, my entire life, with the "Queen" on money and stamps. (Apart from the many King George and Queen Victoria coins still around when I was younger, pre-decimalisation, some so wor you could barely make out the letting on them)

I was born shortly after the Queen's accession. Think how weird it feels after 70 years!

When I started in Computing, undergraduate computer science wasn't a thing; programming was often taught in engineering or maths courses. I learnt "on the job" several years after graduating! Kudos to Her Majesty for at least engaging with IT, when so many people of my generation refuse to.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

I'll stick to using the title "royal parasite"

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

waves to arse lickers, you know who you are!

3. Anonymous Coward
          Happy

When I were a lad, we used to go on holiday to a caravan site every year by the seaside.

The campsite had a concert hall, and entertainments. Plus a chippy (food vending outlet) and general store.

The entertainments included an amusement arcade with slot machines (etc.) and a bingo hall. As kids, we spent our evenings in these (parents in the concert hall), and in the at least half a dozen years after decimalisation while I was still going on holiday there the slot machines only took Sterling currency.

The jackpot for three bells was one shilling, and the cost of a spin was 1d.

There was a kiosk with an old man inside where you exchanged 'new' money for old (and vice versa) - 5p got you 12d as I recall. It was a classic wooden standalone cubicle with a wire grille and a small serving counter.

The supplied coinage had images of every monarch since (and including) Victoria - I have saved several 1d coins from 1896 with Victoria's head on them which I received in my exchanges, and these were in normal circulation prior to decimalisation, 70-80 years after Victoria's death. That was why they were available in the arcade in the first place.

I don't think we'd be daft enough to try and recall all Elizabethan currency all in one go. It'll just get filtered out over time.

I guess the only thing here is Elizabeth was the first monarch to appear on paper currency, which raises a separate issue. But I still can't see it being forcibly withdrawn, since it would cost so much to do it.

2. Antron Argaiv Silver badge
        WTF?

A "process"? Are not the stamps still worth what you paid for them? Seems a lot of work and expense to invalidate them simply because they have the "old" picture on them.

Here in the Land of the Free, we have "forever" stamps. Buy them and they are still valid when the rates go up (every year). Seems like a tough way to make a buck, though.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

IIRC UK stamps previously were valid forever - although I never worked out what value would be assigned to an "E" (Europe) that had a function instead of a denomination. Using the "1st" and "2nd" functional stamps as part of a mixture on a parcel were presumably valued at whatever the current rate was for that function.

The Royal Mail is now a private company. It actually tried to change its branding to "Consignia" a few years ago - then public opinion forced it to change back.

The new stamps have a QR code on them - presumably to replace whatever was invisibly encoded on the existing stamps for automatic processing..

1. Old Used Programmer

Hmmm... Shouldn't they have used a "QE2R" code?

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
              IT Angle

"the availability on ARPANET of the Coral 66 compiler provided by the GEC 4080 computer "

More or less the box that ran (or tried to run) the Nimrod AEW that was such a fiasco, also probably mostly written in Coral66.

Known (IIRC) for a semi-hardwired scheduler, like the Alto.

But in the words of Edward Morrow. "Good night, and good luck."

1. a_builder

Re: "the availability on ARPANET of the Coral 66 compiler provided by the GEC 4080 computer "

Oddly the problem was the two mechanically coupled radar scanners.

One at the tail and on in the nose.

This seems pretty sensible at first glance.

Even more sensible that the scanners were linked by a drive shaft so they were perfectly in sync. Calibrate on the ground and you get no out of sync ghosts etc.

The system worked really well on the ground.

When airborne the system was dreadful. Multiplicity of ghost images which overloaded the processing.

Why was this?

Well the mechanical scanners weighted 100’s of kg and when subjected to any mild G forces the connecting, very long, coupling shaft was subjected to a lot of torque so twisted and the scanners went out of sync.

Out of sync there were loads of ghost images -> system overload….

Unhappy

Out of sync there were loads of ghost images -> system overload….

Ahh.

The light dawns.

With a scanner at each end of the plane that's going to be a looong shaft. To keep it really rigid you'll need a) Lots of supports b) Really thick (heavy) shaft.

The other obvious answer would be limit switches. Scanner hits the switch, generates an interrupt, computer cuts off Rx (or Tx) to that scanner, starts next scanner moving in correct mode.

Sometimes KISS is overrated. :-(

Also I heard that they tried all the HW in a Hercules, but had to throw some boxes away when it was fitted in the Nimrod airframe. Although those huge round radar displays looked pretty cool. I could imagine one under glass coffee table making a really nice video game or analogue TV :-)

There's a similar shaft linking the engines on the V-22 Osprey. It and the associated gearboxes make up a 14 segment drive chain (the wing is not flat) that allows either to drive both props if an engine fails.

It's a massive PITA. Gearbox overheating is the reason why the Osprey cannot stay in prolonged hover. The central GB cooks in near static airflow.

Thanks for raising my understanding. Maybe one day someone will make it work.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: Out of sync there were loads of ghost images -> system overload….

"Gearbox overheating is the reason why the Osprey cannot stay in prolonged hover."

Or prolonged flight, in the case of 3 units in Norway. One is currently bogged up to the landing gear doors in a wildlife refuge having emergency landed on "rather soft" ground

Unhappy

Osprey in Norwegian nature reserve.

This seems to do with something called hard clutch engagement where AIUI the rotor disengages from the engine in flight, the other engine takes over partial rotor drive, then the original engine re-engages, so lots of torque on the rotor over whats on the normal running rotor. So far there is no root-cause reason for this happen but then the V22 is the "Talking horse" of air/rotor craft :-(

BTW fun fact from a 1985 NASA report on helicopters (not including the V-22) the rule of thumb for gearbox weight is 0.3-0.5lb (of gearbox)/Hp tranferred. Given each V22 engine is about 6000shp that transfer gearbox is about 900lb (it's only transferring 1/2 the power). Of course materials have gotten better since then (but not that much) but I'm betting that's still a serious lump of mass. About the only gearbox the V22 doesn't have is one for a tail rotor, but it's got several others.

What does have me puzzled is they've folded the rotor blades, but not the wings. This just seems odd.

2. Arthur the cat Silver badge

KC3R surely?

3. xyz Silver badge

Only ever QER in Scotland. We never did have a QE1. I see we're being invaded by Liz Truss on Monday. She's about a popular here as a dose.

2. anothercynic Silver badge

The 'process' is that the non-QR coded stamps need to be exchanged for stamps that have a QR code on them. The '1st class', '2nd class' and '1st class Large' stamps as they stand are all invalid from January onwards.

*sigh*

Re: the non-QR coded stamps need to be exchanged for stamps that have a QR code on them

This is true for Definitive (Machin) stamps. I believe Commemorative stamps will continue to be valid.

3. hoola Silver badge

The changes to the stamps are unrelated to the image of the queen that is used.

4. RobThBay

We've had forever stamps in Canada (a place just north of The Land of the Free) for a long time as well.

1. heyrick Silver badge

Here in France there are two types of stamp. Those with a face value, and those with a function (like this colour for world and this colour for first class and this colour for carrier pigeon).

La Poste approached the matter in a different way. A few years back they did away with the EU tariff, so now it's "France or not France" [*], and it's a bit ridiculous that it costs the same to send a letter to Berlin as Canberra, but there you go.

The next change, which is soon (if not already) is to do away with first class (the red Marianne stamp) entirely. Everything will go green ecological class now, and take maybe twice as long. Funny that La Poste wants to cut back on getting the letters shifted when they've recently taken on a bigger slice of the Amazon pie, judging by how often my orders come via Colissimo these days (that's their parcel side, though it still comes in the same little yellow post van as the daily paper).

* - We'll just gloss right over the DOM/TOM complications.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

The first and second class stamps are the equivalent of forever stamps. Presumably why people are being allowed to swap them for barcoded versions.

2. Antron Argaiv Silver badge
      Unhappy

She was crowned as I was conceived. Make of that what you will. She has literally been Queen all my life. Just a USAian who thinks she was the epitome of class. I'll miss her.

1. Old Used Programmer

Her reign started 3 years after I was born. My late wife reminisced about seeing broadcasts of her coronation on US TV when she was 10 or 11. (It was filmed live, the film developed, and then flown across the Atlantic for showing on North American television.) My grandparents were adults before Victoria died and lived over a decade into Elizabeth's reign.

Charles is 5 months older than I am. He has not aged well. Have to see if he lasts longer than Edward VII.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I thought Charles was going to take another name as previous King Charles seems to have been rather unlucky

1. John Robson Silver badge

It had been rumoured... I was somewhat shocked when Lis Truss referred to him as King Charles III before any announcement from Clarence house, and even more when the BBC picked it from that as an official source.

We'll likely never know whether he had intended to use George but decided against rocking the boat at such a time or whether he was always going to use Charles.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

I'd expect her usage to have been cleared in advance.

Given Truss' track record, I wouldn't.

2. Martin an gof Silver badge
            Coat

I hoped he'd avoid Charles, but "Arthur" is probably a bit silly, "George" steals the limelight from the grandson, and "Philip" maybe a bit too... Spanish?

M.

1. jake Silver badge

"and "Philip" maybe a bit too... Spanish?"

I dunno ... it's all Greek to me.

2. Slef

"epitome of class" yep that sums it up. Born of a different class and although I had nothing against her personally, the institution is there to keep us plebs in our place! Now we have a head of State who is unelected and has interfered in legislation; getting exemptions from basic laws such as equal rights laws do not apply to the royal family and many other property based legislation. He is also given two poached eggs every morning and picks one to eat and the other one is wasted!

I am a republican (not the sort you get over the pond) but somebody who thinks that inherited titles are just plain wrong and that the time for the monarchy has gone. (and I have never forgiven them for stealing our common land all them years ago)

1. gandalfcn Silver badge

I am a supporter of a republic, but I suggest maybe you should get a grip on reality

"Now we have a head of State who is unelected" As opposed to a PM elected by how many? Preceded by a monster who not only broke multiple laws but also did his best to destroy the law, from a party intent on destroying legal [protection of all but the rich and destroying the environment.

"and has interfered in legislation; getting exemptions from basic laws such as equal rights laws do not apply to the royal family and many other property based legislation." See above.

"He is also given two poached eggs every morning and picks one to eat and the other one is wasted!" As opposed to the Tories flying around the country and the for no good reason etc.

Charlie Boy is a far better person than any of the current mob in government, maybe they should copy him and get some decency and morals.

Great, I've upset the incompetent ERG lying Tories.

1. jake Silver badge

"Great, I've upset the incompetent ERG lying Tories."

Nah. You're being rebuked by everybody for being a right prat.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Anyone who has all the money to do whatever he likes and chooses to spend it shooting deer and watching foxes be ripped apart is not someone with decency and morals in my book

You mean the Tories as well. OK.

1. JT_3K

Sigh.

Not a "Tory supporter". Remember it's not "these people are our friends because they're in one group and these people are our enemies because they're in another".

Some Labour politicians are pro hunting - See https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2001/mar/12/greenpolitics.hunting and http://innocentbadger.is/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Labour-Party.pdf

Some Conservatives are anti-hunting - see https://conservativesagainstfoxhunting.com/

How the hell have we got from an obit for a monarch that seems to transcend people who consider themselves royalists and non-royalists to another blanket "I dOnT lIkE tHeM bEcAuSe ThEy'Re BlUe!" comment.

Jackass.

Sigh. Maybe you should be berating the one who started it all then, not me.

2. jake Silver badge

If shooting food and killing varmints was all that somebody did, all day, every day, that person likely has extreme personality problems.

Fortunately, those occurrences are fairly rare in the life of any given person. Using this as a litmus test is a rather shallow argument.

The objection to killing varmits isn't that it's being done, it's the manner of doing so

1. jake Silver badge

Because as we all know, animals in the wild just choose a beautiful, comfy spot, lie down, and simply go to sleep, never to wake up again.

Would do these bleeding hearts good to see what happens when a varmint finds its way into a chicken coop. RealLifeInTheWild ain't pretty ... and from what Ive seen, the hounds do a faster job of the inevitable than many other forms of death.

Note that in reality Mufasa would have probably eaten his sprog ... fuck off, Disney.

2. notyetanotherid

The Prince of Wales website published the following back in 2012 in the FAQ section:

''Does the Prince of Wales have seven boiled eggs cooked for his breakfast but only eat one, as claimed in Jeremy Paxman's book On Monarchy?''

''No, he doesn't and never has done, at breakfast or any other time.''

3. notyetanotherid

And let's not forget that if we get rid of the monarchy, who would be the head of state then? President Truss, anyone?

A 1996 IPSOS poll asked who should be president if we were to become a republic and the person who came out top in the poll was Princess Anne!

1. Stork Silver badge

That’s the usual lame argument trotted out every time, also in Denmark btw.

Countries with figurehead presidents seem to manage, some presidents are better than others but rarely disastrous. Check Ireland, Iceland, Germany.

You've put your finger on the problem right away

"Figurehead presidents" are just that.

Problems tend to occur in countries where the president isn't a figurehead or has migrated over time from being one to being politically/administratively active

2. MrBanana

Princess Anne is the only other one of that family that I now have any time for.

But the alternative is an elected president - who the hell wants another fuckwit that can only buy their way into power through the generous donations of "interested" parties.

The Ukrainians seem to have had a fair go at a decent leader by picking a comedian. Anyone want to give (just off the top of my head) Bill Bailey, Lenny Henry, Jennifer Saunders, Rory Bremner, Greg Davies, ... a crack at it? A one year stint, like guest presenters on a game show, with them able to nominate their successor. Has to be better than the shitstorm that is the tory party being in charge of the country.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

I suspect Saunders would be good.

In general the idea has some merit: the best comedians are usually pretty clever, your average politician is ... not, though they're often louder.

The trick may be getting the clever ones who aren't too clever for their own (our our) good.

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

President Michael Palin and Prime Minister David Mitchell, chancellor Jimmy Carr, with Frankie Boyle as Scotland's 1st minister and Alexei Sayle as leader of the opposition

3. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

so you prefer a fuckwit who came out of a magic vagina and lobbies his distant cousin (cameron) for favors that enrich them to the detriment of the country.

3. heyrick Silver badge
            Mushroom

"President Truss, anyone?"

Arrrgh! Arrrgh! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!

Sorry, I have nothing useful to add, but it's horrible enough to have to call her the Prime Minister, let's not give her delusions of grandeur (unless it involves her throwing pork sausages at stacks of cheese, like something out of It's A Knockout).

4. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> but somebody who thinks that inherited titles are just plain wrong and that the time for the monarchy has gone

May I remind you of the saying "The monarchy protects us from the men who would be king."

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

The monarch's powers are limited to the point of being nothing. If Charles refuses to assent to make something law - then he can be abdicated and William will be given the same paper to sign. A recent stage play used this scenario - and the example law in question was to abolish freedom of the press.

Oswald Mosley proposed using a putative majority of tame MPs to change the Westminster system legally - to Enable him as a dictator ruling by decree. The same had effectively happened earlier in Italy. After "The March on Rome" King Victor Emmanuel III invited Mussolini to form the government.

1. MrBanana

"The monarch's powers are limited to the point of being nothing. If Charles refuses to assent to make something law - then he can be abdicated and William will be given the same paper to sign."

Not quite true. Although there is the possibility of refusal to make something law, it doesn't work like that. The monarch gets to see the law before it is enacted. If they don't like it - as has happened when it materially affects their money or property rights - it gets "revised" to be more in line with their thinking. Search for the special exclusions that they have for management of game birds on royal properties.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

My understanding is that the palace only gets a pre-emptive view of a law - if it is considered to affect their direct interests. There is no requirement for the government to heed the palace's objections. Too much of the UK constitutional system is based on everyone agreeing to be reasonable. PM Johnson proved that it is possible to drive a coach and horses through many of the conventions.

>The monarch's powers are limited to the point of being nothing.

Depends on how popular you are.

I suspect you would have to be a rather more beloved leader than Ms Truss to survive introducing a bill so bad it caused an abdication.

3. BebopWeBop

And laws related to energy saving, and non discrimination for employees and....

5. Snake Silver badge

I would like to add my regards, as just a typical, sorry American.

I visited London, my first time, just 2 weeks ago. As I went through all the sights it did indeed come to my mind, "This is all an anachronism. All this pomp and class distinction disappeared ages ago, when [we] won a war created by these very things."

But.

I love the U.K, it and Canada are our greatest friends, our greatest allies. We can have disagreements over individual situations but we remain steadfast friends, through thick and thin. And anyone with any iota of intelligence is thankful for you being there.

The monarchy may be the very best thing that Britain has, it represented a 'status quo' no matter where the real politics of the world - your politics between Tory and Labor, our politics between Democrat and Republican, the world's politics between democracy and authoritarianism. The world could look at Great Britain and see your Queen...and know that at least *something* was confident and recognizable, a steamship of reliable guidance no matter where the winds of the future took us. She was the grandmother to the world.

We can also discuss the economic benefits that the monarchy brought to the British people. It is easy to believe otherwise, but millions upon millions of people, spending billions of pounds, came to Great Britain to witness the monarchy and, maybe even more hopefully, catch a glimpse of her in her appointed duties. In her colorful suits, she represented the very best of what you hoped Great Britain to be, where ever you saw her.

Your country will be diminished by the loss of her presence. May she rest in peace.

1. ConsumedByFire

Here here - very nice sentiments. Half the UK agree.

The other half who are struggling working 2/3 jobs to feed their children have a ittle resntment about the entitlement and privilege of those that "won the birth lottery".

For me the only argument that really holds is that 'at least a hereditary head of state means one less politician'. Best alternative I can think of is a rolling 4 year lottery to see who will be King/Queen for the next 4 years :-)

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>The other half who are struggling working 2/3 jobs to feed their children

And their life would be improved if some former colonial governor or retired ambassador was a figurehead President in Buck House?

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

she was just a parasite, like the rest of the family.

They need to fuck off and all the welath and land taken back for the people.

They can all go fuck themselves

6. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I guess I'm not a big fan of inherited titles or nepotism.

I'm not confident that Elections, committees, HR departments, etc... tend to result in better personnel choices?

I'm sure there are plenty of young, capable men and women out there but... how best to find and engage them?

7. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: ta ta Liz.. what a miserable sod.

So. You have a huge chip on your shoulder, a massive inferiority complex, and the overweening narcissism that always seems to go with those deep character flaws. Plus you have n't a clue what you are talking about.

A mish mash of "facts" and facile political slogans. All unsupported by any substantive sources. Or reality for that matter. "Stealing Common Lands"? Really? If you had the slightest idea of the relevant history over the last 1200 years you would not have made such a profoundly stupid claim. And so on and so on.

No one gives a rats ass what you think because ultimately your rambling diatribe is really all about you, you , you. And the obviously miserable life you have made for yourself. Its always someones else's fault, is nt it?

As the rest of the nation will be in mourning for the next week why not go to the local Lidl and get a few crates of cheap cider and puts us all out of your misery until its all over. We can even organize a whip around if your Giro has not come through this week..

3. swm

I recall watching her coronation on TV (in the US). There were no high-speed links across the Atlantic ocean so they would film a part of the coronation and fly the film to the US. They developed the film in-flight. Different networks had different speed aircraft so flipping channels kept bouncing back and forward in time.

I remember how young she looked. (I was only 10 years old at the time) and how everything was very formal.

A very good Queen.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

The lack of high speed links would be a blessing now as we are already way past media saturation.

Yes, somebody has passed away and commiserations to the family. But this is a 96 year old has led a full life. A decent innings so to speak. From all the cancellation of schedules it was clear that this was imminent.

Now there is a weekend of pointlessly cancelled events which is going to cost millions. Does anybody think that if she could be asked she would want the country to stop and cancel all plans for the weekend?

Re: Now there is a weekend of pointlessly cancelled events

Tut tut.

So you're not happy that lots of strikes have been cancelled?

Re: Now there is a weekend of pointlessly cancelled events

No need to change any plans, I'm sure the strikes have their own purpose. OK, suspend normal life on the day of the state funeral, but really people have to get on with their lives.

2. ConsumedByFire

"Now there is a weekend of pointlessly cancelled events which is going to cost millions."

Yeah . . . Just had my first Airbnb cancellation as the event they were attending is cancelled. Thats £300 I'm down. I do the Airbnb just to milk my asset so not too worried and hopefully no more.

But your point is valid. All the stadium staff who would have been working football matches this weekend may have a bill paying problem to solve.

"Now there is a weekend of pointlessly cancelled events which is going to cost millions."

But that is deflationary, and with the UK heading toward "money in a wheelbarrow" territory...

4. MyffyW Silver badge

Was surprisingly moved to hear she'd passed away. Her Maj will always be The Queen in my book.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

She also did more for decolonization than any other sitting on the throne. Started her reign with "an empire where the sun never sets" and left with TV shows where you can win 4 months of electricity bills.

6. jmch Silver badge

"...isn't a monarchist by any means, but if you're going to have a leader chosen by birth lottery, we could have done a whole lot worse"

My sentiments absolurely

7. heyrick Silver badge

"Entirely and utterly respect the person."

This. I don't have much of an opinion on the next set of occupants of the throne, but she was...

...let's put it like this, I think she was the last proper monarch that Britain (if not much of the world) will ever know.

2. steviebuk Silver badge

She was a good one

She had a good innings. I might be one of the few that likes having a royal family. Don't know why just do.

I hope her last words were "Over to you Charlie son, don't fuck it up"

1. Peter X

Re: She was a good one

I hope a few days prior to that, she told Boris exactly what she thought of him. One can hope... can't one?!

1. steviebuk Silver badge

And I hope she used what we use at work because its a word we're not allowed to say

"Boris, you're a 2868"

Look it up on a phones keypad.

2. notyetanotherid

My eldest said last night that, perhaps after appointing Liz Truss to be PM she just gave up the will to live...

1. Missing Semicolon Silver badge

What is more likely is that Her Maj was determined to swear in the new PM. Upright and smiling on Tuesday, passed away Thursday.

Duty to the end.

2. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

What I had sent to a couple of people was...

"Having to ask Liz Truss to form a government did it for Liz Windsor"

3. Not previously required

I am very much hoping that Jeremy Corbyn, as a recent leader of HM's loyal opposition, will be invited to the funeral etc, and that Boris, as a disgraced criminal, will not. Thank goodness HM held on long enough for the small improvement that Liz Truss represents. Tough gig for Liz, 48 hrs in, whatever one thinks of her.

Corbyn is effectively sidelined now have been booted out of his party, due to he and his supporters being responsible for Boris being in number 10.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

mm, weird take, a group of labour hierachy already took the award for giving boris too us, as shown in that report everybody ignored.

But please go ahead and celebrate fucking over a good man.

You all got what you wanted.

4. BebopWeBop

Well, Johnson and Truss in a single day would be enough to finish anyone off.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Charles accession is similar to Queen Victoria's son Edward VII. A born hedonist - his mother deliberately kept him away from any meaningful exercise of royal powers even in her old age.

However - he turned out to be what the public wanted. He started the modern popularisation of the monarchy in his short reign.

Charles III will have a similar opportunity - but on his track record he could want powers that Parliament will refuse.

1. Youngone Silver badge

but on his track record he could want powers that Parliament will refuse.

No he won't.

Charles knows exactly what a monarch is for in 21st century Britain and won't be rocking the boat.

Despite my low opinion of almost all of the current members of the Royal Family I don't think Charles is actually stupid.

The chances are high that he will be the best of the Charles's so far although that is a very low bar.

1. J.G.Harston Silver badge

Charles knows full well that the British monarch rules by sufferance of Parliament - enforced by exiling or executing those that disagreed.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

weird then he kept sending interfering memos.

and not forgetting the backhand deal he did with cameron to enrich the "family".

France was just way ahead of us with the guilotine

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Let's not forget it was Charles and William who decided Andrew's fate, even if he was the favourite son. I don't think the position of royalty in modern society eludes him.

2. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge

"he could want powers that Parliament will refuse"

IIRC, there was another King Charles that didn't fare too well butting heads with Parliament.

1. bazza Silver badge

Yet in the end, once parliament had had a taste of Cromwell as King-in-all-but-name (his son even inherited the "throne", but to no useful effect), they decided in the end they were better off with Charles II instead.

1. Primus Secundus Tertius

Or perhaps people just wanted to get rid of all the puritan nonsense. That was why the Restoration is remembered as a happy time.

2. graeme leggett Silver badge

The army high command- basically a junta - removed Richard Cromwell.

Richard had allowed Royalists and moderates back into parliament. The army didn't like parliament asserting authority and Charles Fleetwood (Richards brother-in-law and commander in chief of the army until parliament removed that authority) and General John Lambert expelled parliament

And the Commonwealth's "Committee of Safety" mobilised a force against General Monck's Scottish army but the English army collapsed and Monck effectively drove the restoration of the monarch.

English democracy once more crushed by Scottish imperialistic aggression

3. Primus Secundus Tertius

I have always had a major doubt about Charles. He seems to regard science as just another debating angle, rather than the corps of knowledge that has made life so much better for people all over the world. His mother, although religious at heart, was more understanding.

But England is the thousand year reich that some other countries envied. We have had successful monarchs and failures, and I expect we shall survive Charles III.

1. ConsumedByFire

Where do you get "1000 year reich" from?

The current consitution of the monarchy starts with the Act of Settlement around 1701 (and no can't be bothered to go check my facts).

There were kings of England from Alfred the Great onwards; i.e. before 1000AD. OK, the detailed arrangements now date from 1701 as you observe, but the kings and queens of England go back to Alfred.

2. heyrick Silver badge

"and I expect we shall survive Charles III"

Well of course. He's in his seventies already (god that makes me feel old!) so how much more does he have in him before it's William's turn?

4. richdin

Like versions of Microsoft Windows - one generation is great, the following, not so. 95 vs Me; 7 vs 8; 10 vs 11, etc....

And earlier, also with DEC software for VAX and PDP11 machines.

5. Snapper

It was the other way round. He was a hedonist because he had nothing to do because Vicky thought he was a hedonist because....etc!

>He was a hedonist because he had nothing to do because Vicky thought he was a hedonist

But a great one for Anglo-French relation and an innovator when it came to chairs

6. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"his mother deliberately kept him away from any meaningful exercise of royal powers even in her old age"

The reality is that he and the other senior members of the family stepped in to substitute for her on more and more occasions in recent years. And short of an actual regency there's no scope for anyone other than the monarch exercising royal powers in any way, meaningful or otherwise.

3. veti Silver badge

I like having the royals around.

To anyone who doesn't, I'd like you to think about two words: President Boris.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Or literally, President Anyone. Having someone above politics able to fire the politicians if absolutely necessary is a very good thing.

(Which is what the President of most countries is for, apart from the USA and France)

1. Azamino

Simply transfer the powers of the monarch to the Lord Chancellor. Minimal fuss and very efficient... it'll never happen!

Lord Chancellors are appointed by governments. The UK constitution functions by keeping Parliament, the judiciary and the armed forces owing separate allegiance to the state in the form of the monarch.

2. ChrisBedford

I like having the royals around.

To anyone who doesn't, I'd like you to think about two words: President Boris

One other word: Tourism.

1. edjimf

There's a simple counter argument to the "tourism" case for keeping the monarchy: France.

The most visited country on the planet, who famously cut the heads off their monarchy >200 years ago.

As for the "President Boris/Blair etc" problem, easy fix: when the Republic's constitution is written, just make anyone who has been an MP ineligible to be President

1. Tom 38

The Sovereign Grant is about £86m a year. Just the Palace of Versailles costs around €15m a year to maintain.

It's not the people who are expensive to maintain, its the buildings.

1. jake Silver badge

"It's not the people who are expensive to maintain, its the buildings."

Don't forget the grounds. It costs an arm and a leg to keep those lawns maintained, the trees and bushes pruned, the reflecting waters filtered, to say nothing of the trampled petunias replanted, the fag-ends swept up, the chewing gum scraped up, and all the other ravages brought down by the well meaning public oogling their heritage.

2. FrogsAndChips Silver badge

Ask a tourist about France, they will mention the ski slopes, the Riviera beaches, the food, the Eiffel Tower and "a certain je-ne-sais-quoi".

Ask them about the UK, the answer will be the monarchy and all the monuments and traditions that go with it (Buckingham Palace and the changing of the Guard). Curious to know how appealing the RF will be under Charles III from a tourism point of view.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. nijam Silver badge

> ... France. The most visited country on the planet ...

And no-one has any idea why.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Location, location, location. And sunshine.

2. heyrick Silver badge

"And no-one has any idea why."

Cheese!

Seriously - culture, history, and tonnes of scenic locations whether you're up for a sunny beach, a mountain to ski down, or attempting to have meaningful communication with a bovine... Some people also quite like the food, but beware that when it comes to meat the French have a dozen subtle degrees between raw and barely warm, and anything more than that is usually considered overcooked...

Cheese - and.that.is.a.disgrace

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

Channeling Liz Truss?

:)

2. steviebuk Silver badge

Balls. Someone beat me to the joke.

2. Paul Herber Silver badge

'when it comes to meat the French have a dozen subtle degrees between raw and barely warm'

As I found out a few weeks ago when a slight misunderstanding about which beef was au point. Still, nice to find out that it is possible for steak to be more chilled than the Sancerre.

3. steviebuk Silver badge

Cheese! That is a disgrace! We should be eating home made cheese.

Sorry, came over all Liz Truss then.

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

All that promoting Pork[Cheese] markets and opportunities was worth the ridicule...

Liz Truss got her wish - Grand Fromage of the Conservative and Unionist Party, and of PM

2. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

Who do you think you are? Mark Field?

3. Will Godfrey Silver badge
              Happy

For me, it is simply the most convenient way to get somewhere else... like Germany for instance.

4. smot

President Farage??

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

You'll need to come up with something better than tourism as a justification for an archaic and rather silly form of constitutional government.

Well the cabinet are cheaper than the Mock the Week cast, and now much funnier

1. BebopWeBop

Not when you consider the damage they do.

3. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

think about two words: President Boris

Or President Tony? President Harry (or Meghan?!)

Let's just stick with King Charles, please!

1. R Soul Silver badge

What, a spaniel?

4. Missing Semicolon Silver badge
        Devil

Noooo. "President Blair"

5. Primus Secundus Tertius

As an Englishman, I support the monarchy especially as most other states are republics.

But if I had lived under Oliver Cromwell, I would probably have supported the English Republic when most other states were monarchies.

Contrarian, you might say. I put it down to my part-Irish ancestry.

1. Oglethorpe

Perhaps don't mention that bit about supporting Cromwell when you're around any actual Irish relatives (or, indeed any other Irish people). They generally take a dim view of him.

6. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

To anyone who doesn't, I'd like you to think about two words: President Boris.

Or the 3rd Elizabethan Age, President Liz Truss

7. Alan Brown Silver badge

or (borrowing from Alan Moore): High Chancellor Johnson

8. gnasher729 Silver badge

Taking Germany as an example, which has a President: The President should be someone who is highly regarded by all the parties, with a huge amount of personal integrity.

Johnson is highly regarded by maybe 40% of one party, and his personal integrity is about 0. He would have absolutely zero chance.

He is also supposed to represent the country. Any country that wants to be represented by a bumbling incompetent, to put it into the politest terms possible? Again, zero chance.

4. StuartMcL

> I hope her last words were "Over to you Charlie son, don't fuck it up"

More likely "Bugger, I was hoping Charlie would go before me",

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That's going to leave a blank page in the next issue of Private Eye

5. gandalfcn Silver badge

I would like a republic, but I am afraid the electorate are too incompetent. IQ45 in the States and decades of Tory misgovernment in the UK.

LOL. Toties are seriously sensitive about their total mismanagement of the country.

Maggie sold off everything she could to her mates and effectively destroyed the country.

1979: UK was sitting on a revenue bonanza from North Sea Oil, had a National Debt of just £80bn and owned all it's utilities, transport, infrastructure & millions of social homes.

2020: UK has £2.2Tn national debt & virtually no assets.

Capitalism and Thatcherism have destroyed the country and our kids' future˙

1. cyberdemon Silver badge

No, we're just sick of foreign trolls trying to destabilise our political system.

Trolls like you are trumpeting propaganda for all sides, just to stir the shit.

If you have any respect for our queen, you'll suspend politics for at least the day after her passing....

Sweety, I respected the Queen, note Queen not queen, but that is not the subject I was responding to, was it, it was the alternative which the Tories want to create.

Maybe you should also learn English as well as context.

I was responding to

"I am a republican (not the sort you get over the pond) but somebody who thinks that inherited titles are just plain wrong and that the time for the monarchy has gone. (and I have never forgiven them for stealing our common land all them years ago)"

Why weren't you bleating about that? And all the other similar comments. Why not? Because you are a supporter of the UK hating ERG et al is why.

"No, we're just sick of foreign trolls trying to destabilise our political system." The ones brought in by the Tories you mean? Which is why London was known as Londongrad. You are everything that is dragging the UK down.

2. gandalfcn Silver badge

If you has any respect for our former Queen You wouldn't have posted" If you have any respect for our queen"

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> 1979: UK was sitting on a revenue bonanza from North Sea Oil, had a National Debt of just £80bn and owned all it's utilities, transport, infrastructure & millions of social homes.

In 1979 the UK was still paying-off debt from WW2. This revenue "bonanza" of which you speak was clearly not that large a bonanza.

1979: UK was sitting on a revenue bonanza from North Sea Oil, had a National Debt of just £80bn and owned all it's utilities, transport, infrastructure & millions of social homes.

"In 1979 the UK was still paying-off debt from WW2. This revenue "bonanza" of which you speak was clearly not that large a bonanza."

Do you know what the National Debt is? It was being paid off. Then Maggia sold everything which meant revenue disappeared which is why National Debt of just £80bn soared to £2.2Tn.

1. ConsumedByFire

Its interesting to compare how the Norwegians dealt with their oil riches (sovereign wealth fund) and what the UK did (spent it on ideology).

Anyway its in the past. One for another day.

2. nijam Silver badge

" IQ45 in the States and decades of all-party misgovernment in the UK."

FTFY

Indeed. But how many were Tory?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

> Your vulture isn't a monarchist by any means, but if you're going to have a leader chosen by family lottery, we could have done a whole lot worse.

Well said.

May she rest in peace.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It was certainly a set on fairly unusual circumstances. Edward VIII abdicating without any heir - and then no subsequent son of George VI to usurp her being the heir when he died.

1. A.P. Veening Silver badge

Small correction, Edward VIII did not have an heir of his body, but his younger brother was his heir. And while unusual, I know at least one instance where the crown was inherited horizontally1), diagonally2) and horizontally again to end up with a young person unprepared for it, who become also a very long reigning3) and highly revered monarch.

1) To a younger brother

2) To the firstborn son of a predeceased younger brother

3) 70 years and 126 days, slightly less than Queen Elizabeth II

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

The royal heads of the countries in the UK have often been pragmatic rather than hierarchical. Sometimes political/religious moves - others decided by outright "might is right".

2. rcxb Silver badge
          Coat

> I know at least one instance where the crown was inherited horizontally1), diagonally2) and horizontally again

Yes, well both the king and queen can move in any direction. They're not bishops after all.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Yes, it would probably take an unfortunate 2 car collision at the funeral to put King Andrew in the hot seat.

Re: King Andrew in the hot seat

It doesn't work in what one would think is the logical order. He is #8 in line.

(From https://www.royal.uk/succession )

1. The Duke of Cambridge

2. Prince George of Cambridge

3. Princess Charlotte of Cambridge

4. Prince Louis of Cambridge

5. The Duke of Sussex

6. Master Archie Mountbatten-Windsor

7. Miss Lilibet Mountbatten-Windsor

8. The Duke of York

9. Princess Beatrice, Mrs. Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi

10. Miss Sienna Mapelli Mozzi

11. Princess Eugenie, Mrs. Jack Brooksbank

12. Master August Brooksbank

13. The Earl of Wessex

14. Viscount Severn

15. The Lady Louise Mountbatten-Windsor

16. The Princess Royal

17. Mr. Peter Phillips

18. Miss Savannah Phillips

19. Miss Isla Phillips

20. Mrs. Michael Tindall

21. Miss Mia Tindall

22. Miss Lena Tindall

23. Master Lucas Tindall

1. ArrZarr Silver badge
              Joke

Matt Lucas is 23rd in line for the throne? That sounds like a destination worth getting to for me!

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"6. Master Archie Mountbatten-Windsor

7. Miss Lilibet Mountbatten-Windsor"

Now prince and Prince and Princess respectively as grandchildren of a reigning monarch.

3. TheRealRoland
              Coat

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, on this list, with my reputation? What are they thinking?"

4. This post has been deleted by its author

"to usurp"

Wrong verb.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Although the modern meaning of "usurp" includes illegality - the older meaning is "encroach or infringe upon (someone's rights)". Which one could understand being the feeling of an existing heir apparent when their status is suddenly diminished - even if legally by a misogynist law.

2. JimboSmith Silver badge

I was and still am proud to have her as my Queen and Head Of State.

Somebody I know was given an honour and the investiture was done by the then Prince of Wales. They told me in private that they’d much rather have had Her Majesty. She outlived them by more than a decade.

Rest In Peace Your Majesty

3. Intractable Potsherd

Yes, that's one of the best summaries I've seen. Thanks, Iain.

4. nijam Silver badge

> ...but if you're going to have a leader chosen by family lottery...

Isn't there some research that suggests organisations almost always get better leaders by picking them essentially at random?

4. Trigun

A momentous and sad day. The Queen has joined Prince Philip. May they rest in peace together.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You have to admire that she went out in style - no drama - two days after publically certifying a PM handover.

Liz Truss will be one of the few PMs to serve under two monarchs. On the other hand, 15 UK PMs served under The Queen and 170 across the Commonwealth countries where she was Head of State.

1. david 12 Silver badge

"Head of State" in a commonwealth country is a meme used by anti-monarchists to justify removing formal links with the monarchy. She wasn't actually Head of State in any commonwealth country other than the UK.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

She was the head of state of multiple Commonweath countries, including Australia, New Zealand and Canada. As an Australian, I would prefer that the British monarch wasn't our head of state. We should by now be a republic and have an Aussie.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Would only make sense if becoming a republic actually benefits the country, you could argue that the current arrangement has created a certain stability in many of those commonwealth countries who's neighbours weren't so lucky.

Thew UK would most definitely not have benefited from being a republic. Look at all the Muppet PMs!

2. nijam Silver badge

> We should by now be a republic and have an Aussie.

Should work well, from what I've seen of Aussies.

1. Denarius
              Meh

Oz republic

we are effectively a republic as the remote nominal head of state has nothing more to do than appoint the Governor General, aka president. Get best of both worlds. As for an Oz head of state, altho I have been republican minded since early teens, the models suggested by the Canberra/Sydney bubble suggest a status quo is by far preferably.

As it is, the Queen did her role competently for decades. That sort of person I respect. RIP Your Majesty.

>Head of State in any commonwealth country other than UK

I wonder if one of those regions might not be in a hurry to acclaim Chuck

1. Diogenes

Succession Acts are harmonised after the last UK changes. It will take a referendum to change our constitution to remove the references to the "Queen" in sections 1-3

1. Sanguma

So Charles Windsor

is technically, your Queen!!!

3. MJB7

This is wrong, she was (and Charles is) monarch of:

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Antigua and Barbuda

Australia

The Bahamas

Belize

Canada

Granada

Jamaica

New Zealand

Papua New Guinea

Saint Kits and Nevis

Saint Lucia

Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Solomon Islands

Tuvalu

Their constitutional position in each of those separate countries is identical.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Anonymous because "They" are watching...

...Or is it "We".

Anywho isn't it time we changed to a republic now that the ostensibly respectable Queen has shuffled off.

https://www.republic.org.uk/

1. Wincerind

Re: Anonymous because "They" are watching...

No

2. Chz

In Canada, at least, a constitutional change like that would require 100% of a full quorum of the provinces to pass. And it would be irresistible for someone, somewhere to try and tack on some other change that won't be liked to it. Making it nearly impossible to become a republic, short of public opinion swaying into the 80%+ range for it. I can't speak for the other Commonwealth countries, but Canada remains a monarchy mostly out of expediency.

"Canada remains a monarchy mostly out of expediency."

As do most of the other countries who retain a monarch

There are a few countries on that list who are looking at swiching away from the figurehead. I suspect they'll find it costs a lot more than they were expecting (both financially and in terms of political stability)

3. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>Anywho isn't it time we changed to a republic

Except for the idea of Lizz Truss moving into Buck House as President - yes

1. nijam Silver badge

"Except for the idea of someone who actually wants to be President moving into Buck House as President - yes."

FTFY

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Their constitutional position in each of those separate countries is identical."

Not sure of that. I was only half listening to something on the radio while driving up the M1 today when someone mentioned something about one or more of those countries constitutions referring to "The Queen", not "The Monarch". If I heard correctly, there may need to be a bit of hasty re-writing.

1. jake Silver badge

"If I heard correctly, there may need to be a bit of hasty re-writing."

I was thinking that the next Sex Pistols reunion might prove ... interesting.

Yes, I know, Sid's no longer with us ... but Matlock is, and he helped write that song.

3. Sanguma

And the amusing thing is that the House of Windsor could be shown the door in the United Kingdom (without the mucky bloodshed - that was Lord Blackadder's time, not ours) and they'd still be Monarch of all those other countries.

Pity the Lord Blackadder never encountered such a situation in all his documentaries ... :)

2. Adrian 4

> On the other hand, 15 UK PMs served under The Queen

The vast majority of them rightly forgotten.

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.

Explains a lot.

1. breakfast Silver badge
            Headmaster

Those who remember history are doomed to watch everyone else repeat it despite their warnings.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

repeated on the History+1 and/or Yesterday+1 channel... and on catch-up...

2. Spanners Silver badge
          Big Brother

Who will "go down in History?

The vast majority of them rightly forgotten

Some of them won't be - because of what they did so badly...

Will Tony Bliar be long remembered for the illegal invasion of Iraq?

BJ will have his mishandling of the pandemic forgotten (much of it already is) but he will go down in history for the deliberate damage of Brexit that may lead to the breakup of the UK.

What will Liz Truss be remembered for?

1. R Soul Silver badge

Re: Who will "go down in History?

"What will Liz Truss be remembered for?"

Cheese. And that is a disgrace.

2. nijam Silver badge

Re: Who will "go down in History?

> What will Liz Truss be remembered for?

Getting the job by collecting all the "none of the above" votes.

6. Sgt_Oddball

In a world of scandals and lowest common denominatiors

She managed to stay a glorious figurehead and a humble human being (considering her position). She was the countries daughter, mother, grandmother and great-grandmother and it shall be a shame to not see her come Christmas day before carving up the turkey.

I too aren't a staunch royalist (my wife from an ex-colony cried over the news at dinner whilst I just felt a small sadness over the enevitablity of it all) but she was a touchstone for the nation. A constant rock in uncertain times, she will be missed.

Now, let's just hope Charles III doesn't end up like the first of his namesake...

1. Snapper

Re: In a world of scandals and lowest common denominatiors

No, it's only self-obsessed 'Kings of the World' who could start a new civil war.

7. Will Godfrey Silver badge

A good innings indeed

Over the years, I came to have increasing respect for her.

Born into very considerable wealth, which she never flaunted.

Successfully navigated meetings with all kinds of people, across the world and across many, many years.

The best ambassador this country has ever had - and probably ever will have.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"and is the only person in England who never had to take a driving test"

The UK driving licence was introduced in 1903. The UK driving test was only introduced in 1935. IIRC people with driving licences before that didn't subsequently need to take a test. Given that many people are still living past 100 then there may be several who share that distinction.

1. Martin

Also, the driving test was suspended during WW2. I believe that if you have a provisional licence for two years, you could just apply for a full license.

1. Adrian 4

Many people learned to drive in the army and were grandfathered into the civilian system. I imagine the army had some sort of test but it was likely of the order of 'drive round that post and let the next man have a go'.

See the first of Spike Milligan's books for a precise description of army truck driver training, including phonetic swearing

2. alain williams Silver badge

My dad was an officer who gave/awarded driving licenses. One day he thought that he would like one ...

Guess who taught me to drive.

2. clyde666

no driving licence

Correct.

My father never took a driving test, at least not in the UK.

He had a full driving licence. Until some wee toddler chewed it :-)

He never bothered getting it renewed after that. That was in the days when the licences were issued by the county council.

1. Colin Critch

Re: no driving licence

My father ( god rest him) got a full license (around 1939) by only driving an electric milk float! I think even before he died his license allowed him to drive heaver vehicles than me!

Re: no driving licence

Likewise, on the basis of riding motor bikes my dad had a licence for pretty well anything that could go on the road. After a very brief go with my first car on a straight but admittedly narrow bit of quiet road it was decided he'd stick to bikes.

3. Spanners Silver badge
        Boffin

you could just apply for a full license

Nah! In the UK you apply for a licence.

1. Martin
          Happy

Quite right - my mistake.

From one spelling and grammar pedant to another - bravo!

4. myhandler

Exactly, my mother never took a driving test as it was WWII. I think my Dad taught her when they were courting. She was a pretty good driver as it goes.

2. Screepy

I share that distinction, but am no where near the 100 year old mark.

Lived in Ghana as a teenager, bought my car license there - the whole system was rather corrupt.

Moved to South Africa for university. SA has an agreement with Ghana that the license is recognised as valid so got it converted to an SA one.

Moved to Germany in 2010ish, they recognise the SA drivers license, converted it to German license.

Moved back to blighty in 2012, DVLA is quite happy to convert German license to UK... and there you have it.

I have a valid UK drivers license but have never taken the test.

Postscript to that story - When I arrived in SA I happened to mention to mother that I hadn't actually passed a test in Ghana. She, quite rightly, gave me a clip round the head and promptly booked me for a full learners course. So I was trained, just never had to take the tests.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Got my Canadian licence with no test cos I'd had a US licence during a stint there 10years ealier.

Apparently I can swap my Canadian license for a UK one without a test - if I didn't already have a UK one.

1. Chz

Caveat: You can only swap it for an "automatic" license (because I don't believe it's recorded in any of the provinces which way you did the test - a pass is a pass). I had to do the full test instead of swapping my .ca license in.

3. JimboSmith Silver badge

My driving instructor had met an OAP who had never had to do a test yet had been driving for decades. He was asked to give her a lesson and said it was the most frightening experience of his life

4. jake Silver badge

I hold a UK driver's licence. I didn't have to take a test to receive it.

Back in days of Yore, before TheInternet (really!) I had a California driver's license with a motorcycle stamp, and also an International license. My insurance guy in Blighty told me that I could get a break on my insurance rate if I obtained a British one. So I headed off to the MOT(?? is that right?) to take care of it. They looked at my existing paperwork and just rubber-stamped the application to drive manual transmission cars and motorcycles. Up until that point, I had no idea that you Brits had separate tests for automatics and manuals.

1. bazza Silver badge

That was some time ago! Nowadays USA license holders have to take a UK test after 1 year residency...

We still have separate licenses for manual and automatic (if you pass the manual test, you can drive automatic). It's a bit of a dilemna these days for parents putting their kids into driving tuition: electric cars are going to be automatic, and manuals are going to die out. Is there any point teaching manual anymore?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Bring back teaching reversing!

We got one of those 'traffic calming measures' at the end of the street a couple of years ago (due to Covid?) that bans cars and the number of people discovering the new barrier and struggling to back up just a couple of yards so they can turn down the side turning is unbelievable...

As is the number of people struggling to get into a parking space even with parking assist!

2. Phones Sheridan Silver badge

"I headed off to the MOT(?? is that right?)"

More likely the DVLA.

MOT = Ministry of Transport

DVLA = Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency

However, as a caveat, I know you are older than me, so it may have been the MOT who performed this function at that time, and not the DVLA who would do it now.

Nowadays if someone goes for an MOT it means they need their car certifying as "safe" to drive on the road (with the caveat that the small print on the MOT certificate says exactly the opposite, that the certificate cannot be relied upon as evidence that the vehicle is safe to drive on the road).

The thing about a MOT is that it's only a certification that the vehicle was safe/emissions compliant AT THE TIME OF INSPECTION and is not a guarantee it is safe to drive _now_

That's why the fine print is there. It may also be evidence that the vehicle has been tampered with, if 3 days after passing the test, it's stopped with no cat and 4 bald tyres (which has happened)

3. PointlessLogin
        Mushroom

> I hold a UK driver's licence.

No you don't

You hold a UK driving licence

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

But he didn't say whose licence he was holding!

5. veti Silver badge

To say nothing of the several millions of people in England who have never had or applied for a driving licence...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I had a lift from a friend's grandmother who had never taken a test (as other have said you didn't used to need one in the UK)... she asked for directions and I told her to go "straight over at the roundabout" so she.... did, up the curb, across the grass in the centre, over a shrub and our the other side.... :-)

Was so shocked I didn't say anything... but I seem to remember the suspension in the Allegro soaked up the bumps remarkably well!

6. RockBurner

She may not have had a licence, but she knew how to drive, and what's more - took no prisoners.

The closest I ever got to Her Majesty was when visiting Balmoral about 25+ years ago (early-mid '90s) and I was walking across the narrow bridge towards the main gates with my then gf. She was on the 2' wide 'pavement' and I was walking in the roadway. The Balmoral gates flew open and 3 green Landies roared out, doing at least 40.

The gates are about 50-100 yards from the bridge, and as the leading Landie bore down on us without any signs of slowing whatsoever, I realised I only had a second or two to hop up onto the pavement (we were about midway across the bridge), before I was to be mown down flat!

As I stepped up onto the raised pavement, I glanced at the driver of the Landie and to my shock, it was Her Majesty, with the biggest frown on her face! I'm not sure if it was because of my presence or other circumstances, but she was not happy.

She accelerated past us and when she turned onto the main road I swear the inner 2 wheels left the ground, the other 2 Landies (presumably full of tooled up protection officers) were struggling to keep up.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It’s known as the Queen’s Highway (now Kings) for a reason you know.

2. herman

Certainly not a Landy. A Range Rover. She would not subject her Corgis and Dorgis to anything less.

HM had a particular fondness for series 2&3 landies

Me, not so much (they were spectacularly unreliable compared to their japanese brethren)

2. RockBurner

Definitely a Land Rover. (I couldn't tell you which series though).

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RIP, Your Majesty.

God Save the King!

1. Paul Kinsler

God Save the King!

Well, indeed, why not. If we are going to retain remnants of a quaint traditional system involving kings and queens, we may as well do it properly, and follow the usual verbal conventions when we get a new one.

1. ArrZarr Silver badge

Re: God Save the King!

Well the surely the proper terminology would be

"The Queen is dead. Long live the King"

2. Outski

To quote from one of the Blackadders

God Save the King!

'Cos nobody else will!

Lilibet's a bloody hard act to follow...

3. Outski

If the King's to be saved, well, God's the very chap

(h/t Billy Connolly, while talking about adopting Barwick Green as the national anthem)

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anti monarchist

Well, probably. But I like the queen. The sense of the duty and the hard work she did was admirable. RIP Liz.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Last meeting of note

Was Liz Truss and Boris. The indignity of it!. Two fucking chancers. She deserved better.

RIP Maj

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Last meeting of note

Assuming she had some premonition - then the smile may have been knowing she wouldn't have to entertain them again.

Hanging on until it isn't Bojo at her funeral !

1. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

I suspect very strongly that all of her surviving ex Prime Ministers will get an invite. As will many of the Commonwealth ones, and may other leaders and ex leaders from other countries.

Expect the Abbey to be a real political celebrityfest.

But BoJo will not attend as the current PM.

>But BoJo will not attend as the current PM.

And so won't turn it into a farcical version of Blair's People's Princess show

1. veti Silver badge

You mean, that one wasn't farcical enough for you?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

She deserves better than using her passing to make cheap political jibes.

This is a time of national morning, give it a rest for at least 10 days.

RIP Dear Queen.

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Not an accusation, but it reminded me of this.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Given that the wretched and despicable Boris "let the bodies pile up in their thousands" Johnson was participating in multiple illegal drunken parties during the Covid pandemic, not least the day before Queen Elizabeth had to sit and grieve so very painfully alone during the funeral of her beloved husband of so many decades (and not to mention his lying to Parliament and to her, and his too numerous other misdemeanours), I rather think that she would be somewhat appreciative of all of the political jibes aimed at that particular vile creature. One almost wonders if she really was hanging on just to be sure of being able to bid good riddance to him, as her final duty to her country?

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: This is a time of national morning, give it a rest for at least 10 days.

Will there be a similar period of national afternoon?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

The palace has declared a week of teatime ?

1. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul , presumably

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

Migrant bears and marmalade sandwiches featuring heavily on the invites?

1. Sanguma

Migrant bears and marmalade sandwiches featuring heavily on the invites?

Judging from the current atmosphere towards migrants, the Tory austerity, and whatnot, migrant bears and marmalade sandwiches are on the menu.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I am guessing she lost the will to live after appointing Liz Truss as PM.

1. Cornishinretirement

More likely she held on until she had got rid of Boris.

12. that one in the corner Silver badge

A Head of State for Our Times

I admired the way that the Queen reduced the pompery and distance between herself and the (extra)ordinary people she met across the UK, Commonwealth and the World.

13. Danny 2

Not my Queen

I didn't respect her, loathed 'the Firm', was cracking wise about her ill-health this morning. I've several great songs and jokes and anecdotes.

But, she was a few folk's grandmother so I'll shut up and button my lip. You don't have to respect the dead to respect the dead.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Not my Queen

"so I'll shut up and button my lip."

Probably best if you'd acted on that before hitting send. On the other hand, i neither up nor downvoted you since you are entitled to your opinion. Maybe not the best time to share it though.

1. Danny 2

Surprised at you JB.

I remember the hysteria - no better word for it - when Princess Diana died. It quickly turned from mass grief to mass hatred for the Queen. I had no idea what was going on in the mob, maybe you did.

I was driving home on a country road and a stopped car beeped at me, so I reversed to check if they were okay. Th driver cursed at me crudely, the gist being it was a minute silence for Diana and I shouldn't have been driving. "Well maybe you shouldn't have been beeping!"

My mum saw me smirking earlier and she knew how to wipe that smile off my face, "Queen Camilla."

It's third rate soap opera at premium rates and to hell with anyone the least bit interested in it.

1. jake Silver badge

Not the time, nor the place, you tedious twat.

Congrats, you've earned one of my rather rare downvotes.

1. Danny 2

Jake, you're not even British or stupid! I don't deserve your public downvote, yet. I mean I could try to.

This is the place and the time, despite the red banner turning black like every English newspaper. I wasn't rude to the woman, I have recently learned a great deal of sorrow for the recently bereaved.

My grandfather in the 1930s chased the Duke and Duchess of somewhere down his home street shouting and swearing at them while the rest of his town waved flags and cheered.

Lizzie came to my home town once, famous only for punks, and she asked our queen Plastique, "What do you do?" Plastique blew a bubblegum gum bubble in her face. That's what she did.

£85 million in the tax-payers royal fund last year, special laws to exclude the royals. I know she was a nice old granny but two days ago she held total executive power in the UK in between PMs. Prince Andrew was her favourite son.

There was a reason Americans fought for their independence from King George the Turd, you may wish to remember under Charles the Turd. Imagine the Kardashians were the US head of state.

1. Casca Silver badge

Yes, keep on being an asshole. Good on you.

2. LybsterRoy Silver badge

Ah, what you seem to be saying is that your being an asshole is genetic and you inherited the tendency and, I presume, therefore, not really your fault.

Still, you could just learn to sit quietly in the corner.

3. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Imagine the Kardashians were the US head of state.

You only just got rid of Trump, I think the Kardashians are a beacon of decency and honesty in comparison.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

That's just swapping giant arse for another.

2. cmdrklarg

Haven't quite gotten rid of tRump just yet... that will happen when he's where he belongs, rotting in a jail cell.

4. Caver_Dave Silver badge

Danny2

"£85 million in the tax-payers royal fund last year" - look up the royal purse. The Monarch pays TAX, like you and I. The monarch has income, which is given to the government. The government then gives some of it back to the monarch.

"special laws to exclude the royals" IANAL, but I've never herd that before. Can you provide evidence?

1. Anonymous Coward
            5. Snapper

The 'War of Independence' was mainly fought between the Rebel Scum© (about 20%) and the 20% of Americans known as 'Loyalists', and it was literally the 1st American Civil War.

As usual, the people in the middle had no influence and just kept their heads down, and the Rebel Scum© were incredibly lucky and the Loyalists/British were unlucky.

The Loyalists were violently attacked and threatened during the war and especially after it. Approximately 80,000 left America, mainly for Canada and some for Britain.

Of course, the American 'Patriots' were the ones who wrote the history of the conflict.

2. Outski

Well said, Jake.

I know you've spent a lot of your life in the UK, even if not a natural Brit, you're one of us, I think

2. Will Godfrey Silver badge

Indeed, says a lot about him, and nothing about her.

3. Trigun

Even if I loathed someone, I wouldn't crack jokes as they were dying.

As others have said; You're welcome to your opinion - as unplesant as it is.

1. Danny 2

I love my mum and I daily joke about her, and me, dying. It's the best approach. I didn't know the Queen was dying yesterday morning. I can tell you how ugly mob mourning can become, you are proving it.

All the media are reporting Charles is King. That is factually incorrect tonight. A parliamentary committee has to approve the ascension, a committee which includes Jeremy Corbyn.

I don't like or respect Prince Charles, I'd much prefer Princess Anne. It'd be much cheaper to keep a Queen. Think about it, all the Queen's Counsel will have to rebrand as King's Counsel on their stationary, plus you'd have to change your national anthem etc.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"But, she was a few folk's grandmother so I'll shut up and button my lip. You don't have to respect the dead to respect the dead."

Your best intentions appear to have gotten away from you in subsequent missives. I'd also note that while "I love my mum and I daily joke about her, and me, dying. It's the best approach" may be true for you and yours, throwing that approach at strangers is lacking either judgement or empathy.

2. JDX Gold badge

joking with your own family is not the same as joking about other people's dead mums.

Sometimes, it's best to put your hands up and just admit you misspoke instead of relentlessly keep digging.

3. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>It'd be much cheaper to keep a Queen.

For a start you only have to pay them 75% as much

4. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> All the media are reporting Charles is King. That is factually incorrect tonight. A parliamentary committee has to approve the ascension, a committee which includes Jeremy Corbyn.

Sigh...

1) The accession is approved by the Accession Council which is emphatically not a parliamentary committee.

2) Yes, as a Privy Councillor Jeremy Corbyn might be invited to attend the meeting of the Accession Council, as might any of the other 717 Privy Councillors. I'm not sure why you chose to single him out but perhaps the enormous chip on your shoulder is preventing you from seeing the others?

1. Martin

And one more point. Charles became King at the moment that the Queen died. The monarchy is seamless - which is why the Royal Standard is the only flag not at half-mast.

The Accession Council is merely approving and announcing the transition. It's tradition - it doesn't actually change anything.

1. 42656e4d203239 Silver badge

>>The monarchy is seamless

There is a pTerry quote for every occasion...

Ly Tin Wheedle have a look at the first aphorism...

4. JDX Gold badge

"not my queen" shows rather a lot of ignorance ant entitlement. The queen or king is your queen or king, the PM is your PM, etc - no matter whether you voted for it or approve.

The modern view is that nobody has to accept any reality they didn't choose but this is unrealistic, self-centred nonsense. Trump was president for all those "not my president" people too.

The queen didn't choose (or expect) to be your queen either but she still was.

"not my queen" shows rather a lot of ignorance ant entitlement. The queen or king is your queen or king, the PM is your PM, etc - no matter whether you voted for it or approve.

You are overlooking the possibility of a different nationality. She wasn't my queen either nor is Charles my king. My king is Willem-Alexander. Having said that, I've got nothing but respect for queen Elizabeth II. If nothing else, she kept true to her word that it was for life even though I am of the opinion abdication has it advantages (the new monarch doesn't have to deal with a lot of stress due to the death of a beloved parent being an obvious one).

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

King right charlie

God help us.

1. Adrian 4

Re: King right charlie

He's not inspiring.

But I'd rather have him than anyone in parliament.

I don't think 2022 will be remembered as the year Liz Truss was elected.

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
        Coat

Is it me but when I hear King Charles, I think of a spaniel.

Is it me but when I hear King Charles, I think of a spaniel.

I hope this is a case of third time lucky.

15. Lordrobot

The Last Post

Today is a great sadness over the Kingdom. She was the longest-serving Monarch and arrived by sheer misadventure of a throne abdicated Edward VIII for love of all things... Born of Bowes-Lyon and Our Handsome King... George IV. Such normal people with openly displayed decency, thrust into the duty of ceremony. The young Queen began her reign in June of 1953 but long before stepped in during the war effort on behalf of the King.

Her marriage to Phillip lasted 73 years. Like any parents, they had to endure the ravages of offspring but in her case always settled on the side of the Kingdom and duty over the antics of the next generation. She was as constant as the Northern Star. For almost everyone in Britain, she has always been the Queen, the steady girl, the unlikely and wonderful, Queen Elizabeth II. God Save the Queen.

16. JWLong

I though she was a great lady!

Enough said..............

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

She saw Boris off

... and probably figured "My job here is done."

1. imanidiot Silver badge

Re: She saw Boris off

Or she saw what followed him and decided to just give up.

1. Outski

Re: She saw Boris off

She would never give up. At the age of 21, she pledged her life to service of the nation, and never stinted, never wavered from that.

18. GNU SedGawk Bronze badge

condolences to her loved ones on her passing, may they find comfort in her memory,

condolences to her loved ones on her passing, may they find comfort in her memory,

In her words, grieve is the price we pay for love.

19. Winkypop Silver badge

God save our bikkie tin, don’t let the ants get in….

I’m no monarchist, it’s just rich people in silly costumes, but I reckon the Queen was OK!

She did a good job regardless.

Re: God save our bikkie tin, don’t let the ants get in….

She was working up until two days before her death at 96. Only ill her final illness prevented her holding a meeting the following day. Charles is about 5 years younger than myself. He's stepping up to the next role. I'd already been retired for years at his age.

Rich or not it isn't a fate I'd wish on my worst enemy but I'm grateful that they both accepted it. It means succession to head of state is pre-determined, doesn't involve vote grubbing (whoever you vote for you always get a politician) and is beyond the disgraceful events we saw recently in the US.

20. jake Silver badge

From the Left side of the pond ...

Severalth generation Californian here, so I'm hardly a Monarchist. However, I have spent a good deal of my life in DearOldBlighty ... long enough to know what a truly great head of state and ambassador she was this last near century.

The world has lost one of the great ones.

Condolences to the Family, and to the Nation.

Rest in Peace and God Save The King

21. stuartnz

Very Well said

" if you're going to have a leader chosen by birth lottery, we could have done a whole lot worse."

And now she no longer has to take the blame for stuff done in her name, as if she had any actual say in any of it.

22. Irony Deficient

Her son will replace her, as King Charles III.

Will Charles be taking the regnal name Charles? (Consider the case of his grandfather; George was the regnal name of George VI, but his given name was Albert.)

Her son will succeed her, whatever his regnal name will be, but he won’t replace her.

1. Uncle Slacky Silver badge

Re: Her son will replace her, as King Charles III.

ISTR he said a while back that he'd be George VII, as he didn't approve of the morals of the previous Charles. I guess he had a rethink.

Edit: Apparently that was only speculation:

https://dianalegacy.com/george-vii-not-charless-new-title-despite-speculations-official-title-confirmed/

1. J.G.Harston Silver badge

Well, King Charles III issued a formal statement at 7pm last night, so it's official.

1. Sanguma

King Chuck 3? Might be amusing to see the synonyms for "chuck". I know in Aussie they have "Pavement Pizza", "Technicolour Yawn", and "Liquid Laugh" - what are the Old Blighty terms for the same?

23. Sanguma

Not Bollockist myself

not being a fan of bollockies in general, but I do have to say this about Queen Elizabeth - she kept a steady hand on the wheel when the Empire was dissolving. Things could've been a lot worse.

Now, since BP, Shell, Caltex and all that sort have been telling us for the past few decades that we can't switch off the oil spigot because everybody can't adapt to change (cars not running on gasoline, but on electrickery! The horror!), I presume that means Prince Charles will have to ascend the throne as Queen Charles? Because we can't adapt to change, according to the oil companies, and they should know, they get paid subsidies as well as anything they earn, and a lot they don't.

I do so hope the real Duke of Edinburgh, the Lord Blackadder himself, will be invited to take part in the coronation ceremony, along with his friend Lord Percy, and his servant Sodoff Baldrick. It won't be a real coronation otherwise.

24. XSV1

Liz Truss's hypocrisy

Is this the same Tory PM, Liz Truss, that is now gushing about Queen Elizabeth II, after previously calling the monarchy "disgraceful"?

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Re: Liz Truss's hypocrisy

Why do you think she's being called the Iron Weathercock?

I'll give you a clue - it's nothing to do with her penchant for predicting the weather.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

She (Truss) grew older, and grew wiser.

Would it be that we all do that.

3. Alan Brown Silver badge

The same Liz Truss who previously tweeted effusive praise about one James Wilson Vincent Savile

https://twitter.com/trussliz/status/130291010730340352?lang=en

25. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

And so fare well her maj. Saw 12 Prime Ministers off

And stayed around just long enough to see the back of the Johnson.

It'll be interesting to see how the "New Management" changes things (if at all).

26. clyde666

Titles not necessarily constant

The appendage "II" to the queen's name is only correct for England. That is, she was only Elizabeth the Second in England.

In Scotland and the other Commonwealth countries there never was an Elizabeth the First, so she could never be the Second.

When she was crowned, there was a big stushie in Scotland over that naming convention. To the extent that a great number of replacement pillar boxes with the initials E2R were damaged. The result to this day is that there are very few E2R pillar boxes at all in Scotland, in fact there are more with the old George initials.

While we're on the subject, Elizabeth never was the "queen of the UK". That is factually not the case.

In England she was crowned queen of England. Wales as a militarily conquered nation is included in that.

In Scotland she was Queen of Scots. With a separate coronation.

Charles will need to have his separate coronation as King of Scots. Interestingly, the law around that is that the king is king with the acceptance of the people. In theory the Scots people can replace the monarch if they so wish. Being king/queen of the people, not of the country.

A bit off topic: the queen Elizabeth the First (of England) was the one who ordered the chopping off the head of her cousin, Mary Queen of Scots. On the basis that Mary was a threat to Elizabeth's holding of the monarchy.

Last laugh came when Elizabeth died, and Mary's son James who was the Scottish king at the time, got the throne of England as well.

1. bazza Silver badge

Re: Titles not necessarily constant

The monarch numbering conventions were aligned in law some years back.

2. J.G.Harston Silver badge

And in England the King is the King by the sufferance of Parliament, reinforced by killing or exiling previous incumbents who disagreed.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> And in England the King is the King by the sufferance of Parliament, reinforced by killing or exiling previous incumbents who disagreed.

You say "incumbents" plural - Parliament only killed the one previous monarch - you make it sound like this was something they did regularly!

A few English kings got killed by their relatives.

While in Scotland no king seems to have survived any family reunion.

Parliament wasn't quite the same thing in middle ages as it is now so you could extend that beyond Charles I. Richard II might be considered an example of that.

But you quote the OP saying "or exiling" and that includes James II as well as Edward VII and even Charles II temporarily.

Oops. Edward VIII

3. deadlockvictim

cldye666» In Scotland and the other Commonwealth countries there never was an Elizabeth the First, so she could never be the Second.

Does this mean that the letterboxes in Scotland have ER on them and not E II R as one sees in England?

And what is the story with Northern Ireland? Is Charles the King of Northern Ireland?

1. agurney

Does this mean that the letterboxes in Scotland have ER on them and not E II R as one sees in England?

Yes, the Scottish crown replaces "II" ... plenty of examples online.

"Is Charles the King of Northern Ireland?"

The title is King of the United Kingsdon of Great Britain* and Northern Ireland.

* Great Britain to distinguish the island from Brittany to where a lot of Britons emigrated after the Anglo-Saxons arrived in what was to become England.

1. Irony Deficient

Great Britain to distinguish the island from Brittany

The island of Great Britain has that name to distinguish it from the island of Little Britain (now known as Ireland). This distinction goes back at least to Claudius Ptolemy’s Almagest, in which they were called μεγάλη Βρεττανία and μικρά Βρεττανία respectively. The Almagest was written around 150 AD, a few centuries before the emigration of Britons to western Armorica (now known as Brittany) due to the Anglo-Saxon invasion of Great Britain.

Re: Great Britain to distinguish the island from Brittany

I know Ptolemy is regarded as having done a good job regarding details of rivers etc but his was a distant view. The Romans who were actually occupying part of the island were in no doubt that there was only one island called Britannia. Their only distinction was between two provinces within the island.

I doubt Ptolemy was ever consulted about what Wikipedia refers to as the "shared etymology" (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brittany). cf Bretagne vs Grand Bretagne.

1. jake Silver badge

Some of us prefer to call it Albion, out of tradition. Ptolemy would have found this funny.

I told you it was all Greek to me ...

2. Sanguma

What I learned was that on the other side of the English Channel we had Great Britain, while firmly attached Europe was Little Britain, Brittany, called that because of the number of British high-ranking families who escaped to that part of Roman Gaul when the Angles, the Saxons and the Jutes invaded, and the whole place erupted in a prolonged war.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Huh? The Kingdoms of England and Scotland ceased to exist in 1707. There has only been one kingdom to be King or Queen of in these islands since then (there’s a clue in the name “United Kingdom”). There was no “Scottish Coronation”, maybe you’re thinking of the “National Thanksgiving Service” in Edinburgh in which she was presented with the Honours of Scotland after her actual coronation? And as for the regnal numbers, well it’s obvious that choosing the higher of the available options is both concise and unambiguous, something any software engineer should appreciate :-)

5. Bonzo_red

Wales was not a nation though, it was a principality, and the English took it over only 65 years after Llywelyn and his friends decided to call it theirs.

1. deadlockvictim

That all depends on how you define a nation or even a country.

The best that I have come across is a large group of people (usually over 1 million) who all say that they are one nation or one country, but this vague and riddled with exceptions.

Is Catalonia a country? Are the catalans a nation?

What about Switzerland? It is certainly a state, but is a country? Are the Swiss a nation? 4 nations?

And Northern Ireland?

Or Texas?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Or the Donbas.

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

"Is Catalonia a country? Are the catalans a nation?"

Historically "yes" (it was a Principality as recently as the 1600s) - but European national (kingdom, principality, city-state) boundaries have been very fluid over time and there used to be a LOT more of them

Remember, Germany and Italy as we know them today didn't exist until less than 200 years ago, with France only being a fraction older

A country and an administrative region used to be defined by how far a man could ride on a horse in a day, or an army could march in half a day. Times have changed

6. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

>James who was the Scottish king at the time, got the throne of England as well.

And ever since, the English have lived under Scottish oppression and so everything bad that has happened since the C16, including the British empire, is the fault of Scotland.

Isn't it about time England got independence?

Happy

"And ever since, the English have lived under Scottish oppression "

<sidney greenstreet>

First rate sir, first rate.

</sidney greenstreet>

7. Sanguma

King James was the first King to be crowned in England. The others became king by being crowned; he was already King James the Sixth of Scotland when he became King James the First of England. (Though I do wonder about the likes of Cnut (Canute) and some of the other Danish-English kings. Were they already Kings or did they use their kingship in England to overcome the last remaining opposition in Denmark and Norway?)

27. Chris Coles

Having watched her coronation on a new TV, out in the middle of the local village green; enjoyed the many memories of her husband Prince Philip; watched in awe at her work to bring so many nations into her Commonwealth; news of her passing brought tears to my eyes. Some will know that I deeply disapprove of what one might describe as a Feudal Mercantile Economy, corporate feudalism; yet her strong leadership, over such a long lifetime, brought another viewpoint that will live on for many coming centuries. I for one will miss her Christmas message to us all. God Save the King, King Charles III. May his coming reign bring similar success.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

her work to bring so many nations into her Commonwealth

What "work"? Almost all of those countries used to be part of the British Empire.

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Goodbye Elizabeth II

Usual thoughts with the family and friends at this sad news.

But time for a fun fact about the British royal family (AKA "The Firm"): Nine years before Elizabeth was born the "House of Windsor" was called "House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha". But after World War I, the British people were very uncomfortable with their monarchy publicly being of Germanic descent, so they rebranded in 1917 very successfully (No FrenchBritish Revolution).

Give this post an upvote if you learned this in school, and a down vote if it was left out of your history syllabus. I have to admit I'm a bit curious what the result will be.

1. ArrZarr Silver badge

Re: Goodbye Elizabeth II

I remember that our history teacher tried to trip us up with asking what the Monarch's House (or whatever the nomenclature is) in 1914 and 1918 in two consecutive questions.

Half the class looked at the poster at the back of the room and decided that since it was the same king, obviously the answer was the same for both questions.

Re: Goodbye Elizabeth II

>so they rebranded in 1917

Hanging on until it was clear which way the match was going - or just a lot of paperwork ?

29. J.G.Harston Silver badge

I'm pleased that The Register has confirmed it is still a *British* site by using black edging.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's still using American spelling, so perhaps not.

30. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A very sad day

I recall reading an article not too long ago where, commenting on the popularity of Her Majesty amongst the Aussies, despite their strong Republican leanings as a country, someone was quoted as saying something along the lines of the majority of Australians may not be monarchists, but they are Elizabethans. That sentiment perfectly sums up my feelings on the subject.

The vast majority of people do not have their job decided for them by accident of whom they were born to, and yes, I know Elizabeth II only became Queen due to unusual circumstances, but I've thought about the subject a few times, and I'm not sure which is worse - having that job thrust upon you unexpectedly, or knowing from a very young age that that was the job you were going to have to do, like it or not. Jobs that you may have wished to do and could not because of the expectations of the job you have to do. Oh, you might be able to learn a job, of a fairly limited range, but when it's your time to be monarch - that's it, that is now your job, like it or not, unless you abdicated, which just pushed The Job onto some other poor bugger. The thought makes me shudder - what a horrible thing to wish upon a child, to be born into such a situation!

Sure, the wealth, the privilege, the amount of taxpayers money, mostly from poor folk to support a few already rich folk - that's not right, either. But given that things were as they were back when Elizabeth became our monarch - I don't begrudge her the privileges she had, due to her utterly outstanding performance in the job. I think of it as a kind of compensation to her for having the job thrust upon her and having to deal with undesirables who just happened to be notable politicians or royalty from other countries. I would LOVE to have known what she thought of the PM's that held that job during my lifetime. I'm pretty sure that her views would have been as negative as mine on some of them, and that list isn't particularly biased towards or against any particular political party, in case you're wondering.

I was delighted when I heard that she and her husband enjoyed the Spitting Image caricatures of themselves and their family. Earlier I had been pleased to learn that she had learnt to be a mechanic, and liked tinkering with her 'Rover - this in a woman born at a time when women were supposed to stick to certain jobs and men to certain other jobs "because that's just how it is". It wasn't that many years before she was born that Emily Davison had tragically died accidentally , after collision with the Kings horse Anmer, at Epsom, attempting to publicise the Suffragette movement. (She hadn't intended to die, just put a scarf in suffragette colours on the horse. A damned foolish idea, but she wasn't suicidal). The thought, at the time that Davison died, that a Queen of the UK might learn to be a mechanic would have been seen as absurd.

Politicians are supposed to be servants of the people, and there are some who take that to heart, but compared to the Prime Ministers we had during Elizabeth's reign, she stood head and shoulders above the lot of them in her sense of duty and her care for the well-being of the populace of this country. I just wish she could have been spared the problems her family had in the last few years of her life.

Rest in peace Your Majesty, Elizabeth II. I didn't like the job that you had to do or that you HAD to do it. But you did it superbly well, extraordinarily so, and you were a rare and precious gift to our nation, as a monarch. You will be remembered fondly by this particular Lefty.

Re: the majority of Australians may not be monarchists

One did have a try at it with the Hutt River Province.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principality_of_Hutt_River

2. xanadu42

Re: A very sad day

Couldn't Agree More...

Some of the negative comments here are quite disturbing - the persons making them obviously not having any thought about walking in another person's shoes...

If I had been unfortunate enough to be born into the Royal Family I would not have been able to pursue my love of Computers but have been relegated to Royal Duties in the Public Eye. Whatever they may have been...

Queen Elizabeth II has always been in my life and, many times, I have felt sorry for Her as She never had the chance to be the person She wanted to be...

RIP to my third Grand Mother

1. druck Silver badge

So I'm not going to say anything, as it's pointless.

But you did, and we are all the poorer for it.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Several immediate members of the royal family have had what might appear ordinary jobs. Edward was into the world of theatre. Anne had no problem pursuing an equestrian career. Harry is no longer on royal duties by his own choice - free to pursue other opportunities.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"She never had the chance to be the person She wanted to be..."

Nope. If she didn't want to be a monarch who lived in palaces and castles, she could have abdicated. Like her uncle did.

1. ArrZarr Silver badge

I'm no monarchist, but that's overly reductive.

Yes, abdication was an option for her at any point in her 70 years as queen, but it doesn't take into account qualities like a sense of duty or loyalty.

It's a very restrictive life in a lot of ways. Waited on hand and foot, but lacking in a lot of the freedoms that us commoners enjoy. She has her own set of freedoms, of course, but it's hardly a simple life to be even a constitutional monarch.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Yes, abdication was an option for her at any point in her 70 years as queen, but it doesn't take into account qualities like a sense of duty or loyalty.

Perhaps before her coronation, abdication was technically possible, but once she pledged her duty to the country she wasn't going to be false to that.

Sometimes we get stuck in for jobs we aren't suited to or never wanted, but there it is. I'm typing this at the bedside of a relative who helped raise me. She is irritable, declining to the point of needing to be spoonfed and assisted to toilet. I had to cancel a trip I really looked forward to in order to be here for her. Not comparable to 70+ years, but not gonna shirk this either. Brava Liz. I should only shoulder responsibility half as well.

4. jake Silver badge

"If I had been unfortunate enough to be born into the Royal Family I would not have been able to pursue my love of Computers"

If you had been unfortunate enough to be born into the Royal Family, your circumstances would have been completely different. Chances are you would never even have thought of making the above statement. The very concept would have been outside your ken.

I stuck out the meaningless bit. These is nothing fortunate, nor unfortunate, about being born. To think otherwise is to believe in "luck", which doesn't exist.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Esme,

Well said !!!

I have lived my whole life in a monarchy with a Queen that has been focused on duty to the country.

The cheap shots, at this time, to attack the monarchy are very regretable.

Our politicians are 'fair game' because of their actions and greed for power at all costs.

Queen Elizabeth II was better than the politicians that served her and the country.

At a human level, please also remember that someone has lost a mother and the pain/loss is not less for being a royal.

We have lost so much in this country when basic decency no longer applies !!!

Our politicians are 'fair game' because of their actions and greed for power at all costs.

Not only your politicians, all politicians and not only because of their actions and greed for power, but also because they sought it themselves.

4. Outski

How superbly put.

Thank you, from another lefty

31. JDX Gold badge

"the only person in England who never had to take a driving test" ?

I am fairly sure my late grandfather (he would be 105 or so) told me he just had to apply for a license. A bit of googling suggests nobody had to take a test prior to the mid 1930s. So many, many people never had to take a test... including many who drove.

A nice piece otherwise El Reg. The point that she was not raised expecting to become Queen is something I had never really thought about too much.

1. JacobZ

Re: "the only person in England who never had to take a driving test" ?

Yes, and: a number of people who drove army vehicles in World War II were "grandfathered in" to a civvie license when they were demobbed, without ever taking a test.

(On a related note, Elizabeth drove an army ambulance during the war, although I assume they didn't let the heir to the throne near anything too dangerous.)

32. herman

Coburg-Gotha-von-Battenberg

I fail to see why the Brits are so tolerant of this mollycoddled family. The French had the right idea.

Re: Coburg-Gotha-von-Battenberg

>The French had the right idea.

A revolution with a peaceful transfer of power that led to a stable republic every since?

1. ArrZarr Silver badge

To be fair, they've averaged almost 60 years per constitution in the past 200 years.

That's about 0.81 metric QE2s per constitution.

2. herman

There actually is one remaining prince in France - Monaco. De Gaulle blockaded the harbour in the 1960s until prince Grimaldi rolled over and submitted.

1. FrogsAndChips Silver badge

Monaco is a sovereign state, it makes no sense to say it is in France.

But you are right, there is (at least) one prince in France: the incumbent French president has the title of co-prince of Andorra

1. herman

Monegassians(?) have French passports and if the house of Grimaldi would have no heir, then Monaco will revert to France. So Monaco is part of France - De Gaulle ensured that.

1. FrogsAndChips Silver badge

Monegassians(?) have French passports

Bollocks. Monaco is single citizenship, you can't be a citizen and hold a French passport.

if the house of Grimaldi would have no heir, then Monaco will revert to France.

That's no longer true since 2002, but why let facts get in the way of a petty rant against de Gaulle, eh?

2. ArrZarr Silver badge

The tourism money is good.

More technically, the Royal family owns a lot of land that is leased to Parliament and creates far more revenue for the government than the Royal family cost to keep.

Frankly, it just doesn't make financial sense to abolish the monarchy.

Yea that doesn't really work logically does it?

The train robbers own lots of used notes that they distribute down the boozer, so it doesn't make sense to abolish bank robbery financially

1. ArrZarr Silver badge

It kinda does work logically - the crown rents a lot of land to parliament and parliament makes a huge profit from that land.

No different to any other lease.

3. Fading

You mean this France?

https://twitter.com/emmanuelmacron/status/1568181528932356099

"To you, she was your Queen.

To us, she was The Queen.

She will be with all of us forever."

33. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Faster than light communication

Random thought: we can use the monarchy to communicate faster than light, and thereby break causality.

When the queen died, Charles instantaneously became king. (Yes, there are a lot of protocols that will follow, but they are in every sense ceremonial.)

This means that monarchy is the only thing we know of that moves faster than light.

Now in this case, this isn't very interesting since Elizabeth and Charles were very close together at the time of death. But imagine some near future where we can send the heir to the throne (currently William) to Mars while Charles remains here on Earth. Then we could send an instantaneous message to Mars by killing Charles, causing William to become king.

Of course, we could only send one bit of information this way (perhaps more if we had a previously agreed code on what the timing of the succession meant). But we could go further: suppose we arrange for alternating individuals in the line of succession to be on Earth and Mars (e.g. Charles and the princes George and Louis on Earth; William and princess Charlotte on Mars). With a long enough line of succession and by judiciously killing off one monarch after another, we could send messages back and forth essentially as quickly as we could execute monarchs - certainly much faster than light.

This of course would allow us to break causality. Who says the monarchy is a worthless institution now, eh?

1. Outski

Re: Faster than light communication

When the queen died, Charles instantaneously became king.

A republicon particle obviously went missing (h/t Sir Terry)

1. ButlerInstitute

I think Sir PTerry's take on the subject was to communicate by torturing a small king.

That should get you more than one bit of information transferred.....

Though maybe not if it is only the actual death that has the effect.

2. herman

Robert Heinlein said it best: Man will only be free, once the last king was strangled with the entrails of the last priest.

Joke

...and remains burned on a bonfire of lawyers?

(I suspect that either Heinlein didn't know much about constitutional monarchies or it was just another of his "phases" that he went through re politics and political systems, since there's not much tyranny to be had in a constitutional monarchy. He was probably referring to absolute monarchs, which we've not really had ever since that gathering at Runnymede.

3. FrogsAndChips Silver badge

OK I'll bite.

What you described is akin to quantum entanglement. While it has some useful applications, it has been proven that it can NOT be used for FTL communication.

No Monarchs aren't quantum cos you can measure their state of monarchy without collapsing them.

Now if you put a prince in a dungeon with a 50:50 chance of dying.... Poor old Richard III was just trying a simple experiment and yet he gets all the bad press.

34. Dr. G. Freeman
    IT Angle

I can only save a certain number of times before losing the data ~ God

May she rest peacefully having done her duty.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

duty??

you mean some waving and having banquits

tough fucking life doing fuck all.

fuck em all. parasites the lot of em.

35. StargateSg7

From Canada, we offer our condolences to the Royal Family and our heartfelt best wishes to all those who act in the service and spirit of political and information freedom throughout the Commonwealth and elsewhere. While The Queen has left the mortal realm, she has NOT forgotten in spirit all those who throughout the world still struggling to break their chains and yearning to breathe free!

God Save the Queen and May Your Spirit Fight With Those Through The Coming Ages As You Continue

to Spread Your Wings For All Who Wish To Break The Ropes Of Bondage and the Yokes of Authoritarianism!

Much Thanks,

from

StargateSG7

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

V

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"king and queens" are the fucking ropes of bondage and authoritarianism.

Their fucking ancestors started it, making everyone kneel to them.

They are the descendants of the worst of us.

36. Bonzo_red

Driving Test

Not sure about that driving test bit. My mum had a full UK driving licence but never took a test.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Driving Test

Several comments about not needing to pass the test add up to exceptions of:

UK licence held before 1935

provisional licence converted in the war

armed services driver in the war

37. Steve Kerr

Queen Elizabeth - demon driver

I think she has done so much for country, even amongst her own problems in her own family, just like every other family.

I do mourn her passing.

I was at Windsor Horse Show last year when we were asked to just wait for a minute.

These 3 black rangers pulled up next to us, they were going pretty fast, surprised the first one didn't do a handbrake sliding stop.

The drivers door opened and out got the queen, was totally aghast as she was just in front of us, I've got photos of her that close too.

She was watching one of the native showing classes, not in the main ring either, just the side ring and they had a chair there for her to sit on and watch.

We went and saw some other things and when we can back past she was just leaving, getting in the drivers seat leading the way, we saw her driving on the road up to the castle and she was accelerating away from the others, she must have been doing at least 70mph! Total demon driver, it was brilliant.

After the loss of Prince Philip it was so nice to see her so happy at Windsor watching all the horse.

A great loss to the country.

1. Phones Sheridan Silver badge

Re: Queen Elizabeth - demon driver

As I recall, the only person to win a disagreement with the Secret Service over who gets to drive the President :p

1. herman

Err, Prince Philip also drove your Prez on occation.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

she did fuck all for any of us.

I don't count waving and having a banquit

people have lost their fucking minds with all the sycophantic fucking drivel about her.

38. Long John Silver
    Pirate

Technology and monarchy

RIP Elizabeth II

The putative Charles III has had an unhappy relationship with technology. His analogue mobile phone conversation (the "tampon" call) with Mrs Parker-Bowles gave rise to unwelcome amusement. Also he has pranged a Royal Navy vessel and a military aircraft.

39. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Her husband, the late Prince Philip, was less tech savvy. In an infamous case, his personal account on Prestel etc."

I'm not sure about that. It would have taken a degree of tech savvy to have used a Prestel account but even more to the point I think he organised a conference promoting technology many decades ago.

40. This Side Up

Driving Tests

It is unlikely that the Queen was the only person in the UK who didn't need to take the driving test. The test was compulsory in 1935 but testing was suspended during the second world war and during the Suez Crisis in 1956. Therefore there will be people aged 83 or over who qualified during these periods (e.g. in the forces) and didn't have to take the test.

Also there are lots of people who never had the need to drive.

41. Alistair
    Windows

Reactions being what they have been so far.

I've grown up in Canada, and QEII has been our head of state my entire life. I'm fully aware of the historical relevance of the Royal Family's predecessors and the relevant "evil" done in the name of the British Empire. I do somewhat understand that there are those that will regard the death of a member of that family with some glee. What astonishes me is that there is little recognition of the effort put into changing the state of affairs that she inherited when she took the throne. Certainly she did not change these things with her sole effort, but with her grace, style and dignity she absolutely helped things along.

There are few leaders, or figureheads, about these days who carry themselves with similar grace and elegance. As much as there are millions of folks who demand massive change in the world, there will be millions of folks who demand that the status quo remain. A leader or figurehead who can see that the change needs to happen, and can also bless the process of convincing the others that change is good with such charm, dignity and elegance, is priceless. And to do so while also being willing to portray their humanity openly, is awesome.

I'm certainly *not* a monarchist in the traditional sense, however the need for a stabilizing, constant calm, dignified and elegant figurehead in leadership is utterly apparent in recent times. I for one am completely done with the raging conspiracy theorist populist clickbait media puppets that believe "entertainment" is more important than "informing the public". Looking around the planet, it is becoming abundantly clear that irrational, illogical vituperative commentary about *anything* by the everyday politician garners far more attention than the ever rarer, calm, rational process politician. In times like these, a figurehead who can provide the contrast necessary to make the difference abundantly clear is needed more than ever. There were several times in our recent history where Her voice was that contrast.

Much like I was not a huge Obama fan, I am not a huge Royal Family fan, but Elizabeth and Barrack both had the same affect. In times of chaos and clickbait, they carried a certain dignity and grace to the roles they were engaged in. That, I at least, appreciated. Sadly I doubt that Charles III will have an iota of what his mother brought to the role.

I am an atheist myself, but:

God bless and Godspeed Elizabeth, may your have the blessing of crossing the rainbow bridge to be surrounded by your many adored corgis and horses.

42. Sixtiesplastictrektableware

Not a big colonizer fan, but sorry for your loss.

Never good to lose a mom, if you got along or not.

Good run, though.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

'Liz II was not a colonizer, she was a decolonizer.

43. Danny 2

The Lost Postie

I met my postman today and asked when they were on strike. "It was meant to be today but it's been cancelled out of respect for the Queen passing."

I asked why he didn't have any letters. "We weren't given any, nobody anticipated this."

So why are you walking the streets? "It's my job."

I wish I was joking but this is national insanity. Royal Mail workers wandering the streets in a daze without any mail to deliver. 2022.

I remember the good old seventies when cigarette packs were marked "By Appointment to Her Majesty the Queen", although I suspect Princess Margaret had a hand in that, now they deface the packs with depressing messages and photos. If you went to a cinema in Hamilton you were expected to stand for the English National Anthem, and if you didn't you'd be beaten up.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The Lost Postie

If you went to a cinema in Hamilton you were expected to stand for the English National Anthem, and if you didn't you'd be beaten up.

It's the national anthem of the United Kingdom, of which Hamilton was, and still, is a part of.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That national anthem of the United Kingdom has a verse that goes "rebellious Scots to crush". Nice.

2. Danny 2

"It's the national anthem of the United Kingdom"

Well, maybe if you haven't been to Hampden or Murrayfield. It's the English anthem, and your Union Flag is the butcher's apron.

I chose Hamilton because it exemplifies the blight of the English monarchy on other 'home nations'. Nearby Larkhall has right, white and blue curbs and public railings. In Blantyre some idiot walked along two football pitches to deck me for wearing a French international top because it looked a wee bit like a Rangers top.

My first flat was served by two ice-cream vans, one whose jingle played The Sash and one who played L'Internationale. Desperate for cigarettes one day I went to the wrong van and was then shunned by my neighbours. My only allegiance was nicotine.

You have no idea how confused Dutch people are by British reactions to murals of Willem van Oranje. FTP graffiti here does not refer to File Transfer Protocol, and a lot of FTQ graffiti is going to have to be changed to FTK. Your royal family is expensive throughout the UK, but it carries a far heavier price in Scotland.

2. jake Silver badge

"So why are you walking the streets? "It's my job.""

Picking up outgoing mail is also a part of that job.

1. Danny 2

"Picking up outgoing mail is also a part of that job."

Oh aye Jake. After the local fraternity boys smashed my mail box with a baseball bat from a passing Chevy, the mailman would often stop by to ask if I had outgoing mail. Knowing you, you have checked and that is maybe part of their job in the UK today, but trust me, it just doesn't happen.

We still have a few letter boxes, albeit in Scotland we blew a fair few up for having EIIR on them. I hasten to add not me personally, I'd use a chisel.

There's nothing sadder than a self-hating colonist monarchist. Marry, shag or kill - Elizabeth, Diana or Meghan?

44. Dr Gerard Bulger

What I like about the madness of the monarchy is that if keep politicians in their place. It's a job they CANNOT have, cannot aspire to. When they bow and curtsy to he monarch they are forced to have a bit of humility and we like to see that. In effect they are bowing to the people.

45. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I’m with Dennis the Peasant

“You can't expect to wield supreme power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

46. Auntie Dix
    Unhappy

All the King's Horses and All the King's Men

When I heard that England's queen was dead, I thought, "Elton?"

Quite a lady of her time. Queen Elizabeth II, that is.

RIP

47. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

The original girl boss

Paris Hilton on Twitter...

"The original girl boss. One of the most inspirational women. The end of an era. [Crown emoji] RIP [Broken Heart emoji]"

@ParisHilton

https://twitter.com/ParisHilton/status/1567942524593127424

Wot not Paris icon?

Re: The original girl boss

"The original girl boss"

Wouldn't that be Elizabeth I ?

1. jake Silver badge

Boudica, Shirley.

Was assaulted, went on a revenge tour of burning undefended cities, got trounced as soon as an army turned up.

Not really a Helen Mirren/Judy Dench worthy role compared to Liz 1's clever management

And don't call me Shirley

1. jake Silver badge

The point is she convinced a bunch of people (mostly men, at that) to follow her on said tour. If that's not Boss behaviou(u)r, nothing is.

I'd say Liz 1's management style was more conniving than clever ...

48. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've realised I don't need an Ad-blocker, I need an RF-Blocker.

It's only been 2 days, another 8 days to go, then some. What I'd pay for an Ad-blocker that also blocked articles on the Royal Family, right now.

Not sure what content would be left, though, in terms of the MSM.

Hundreds of Brooklyn Beckham articles? What a time to be alive. /s

Even the FT, a paper I could previously rely on to avoid most of the RF gossip crud.

49. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge

What about the Corgies and Dorgi(es)

What will happen to them now? Will they stay with the RF?

1. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge

Re: What about the Corgies and Dorgi(es)

The BBC report they are going to be looked after by Prince Andrew, Duke of York, and Sarah, Duchess of York -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-62870783

50. Sanguma

Only one Queen

and that had Freddie Mercury as frontman, until his untimely death ...

1. Danny 2

Re: Only one Queen

To be fair to Liz, she did acknowledge Freddy Mercury. In her skit with Paddington they both tapped out "We Will Rock You" on their teacups. And to be fair to Freddy, his death wasn't untimely, it's a miracle he lived so long. I had a pal that gay and reckless, didn't live that long.

The mad British public are sacrificing tons of flowers - or is it tonnes - and I really don't get the link between death and flower sacrifice. My dad hated having flowers in the house due to his hayfever and when he died we had to stick them in buckets due to a lack of vases. Chocolates, he would have wanted chocolates.

Flower sacrifice seems disrespectfully paltry for a Queen. We should at least bury her various heads of state with her. Fire some corgis from cannons.

51. Zakspade

"As someone who was born in an age where computers were room-sized, the speed of innovation certainly outpaced the institution she was born into."

Er... There were no computers in 1926 - room-sized or otherwise.

That said - who cares? A 96yo mother, grandmother, great grandmother has passed on. Her family are having to deal with her passing. Oh, she happened to be the Queen as well...

RIP

1. Sanguma

rooms upon rooms full of computers

I did see in the War Memorial in Canberra a huge electromechanical computer used for gun control - though whether this one was on a warship or at a military base I can't say.

Likewise I remember reading about the roomsful of computers - mathematically skilled women - that worked on the series of A-bombs detonated at Maralinga and other Australian sites.

So as far as fully electronic computers goes, your statement is correct; as far as electromechanical monstrosities and people doing mathematical computation functions goes, you're inaccurate.

52. Danny 2
    Pirate

Fun with flags

I'm gonna set your flag on fire! That's from the Dixie Cups version of Iko Iko, one of the best songs.

My first job was with an American bluechip chip maker, the factory had three flagpoles in front which was just pretentious. Stars and Stripes, Union Flag and a Saltire. The chemical company opposite us had a bigger pole but only flew their company logo, no fun.

At least twice a week wee boys would race up to the flag poles on their BMXs and try to steal the flags by cutting the cord with their pen-knives, and our janitor would rush out to scare them off. It was hilarious to watch, like Benny Hill without the undressed women. Consistently they went for the American flag first, then the Scottish flag, the British flag was always safe - I dunno why. Nowadays a sixty something man wouldn't chase after a gang of armed kids for something as silly as a flag.

Now that Charles is king can we go back to the red masthead? Life is depressing enough.

Ah, the fields are crying out it's jubilee

We sold ourselves for love but now we're free

I'm so sorry for that ghost I made you be

Only one of us was real and that was me

I heard the snake was baffled by his sin

He shed his scales to find the snake within

But born again is born without a skin

The poison enters into everything

53. StrangerHereMyself Silver badge

History

In 17th century Britain, the monarchy was reinstated because the population was desperate for someone to stop the civil wars and to restore stability. Not because they liked the King or the Monarch as an institution. At the time this seems reasonable to me.

These days, however, I feel we should retire our Monarchs and become republics. The Monarch isn't needed to safeguard political and civil stability and the notion that someone rules over us because of their heritage sounds alien to me.

But as far as Monarchs are concerned, Elizabeth was an icon. Rest in peace!

Re: History

The Monarch isn't needed to safeguard political and civil stability

O? I'd say recent (last couple of years) events in a couple of countries have shown other wise.

and the notion that someone rules over us because of their heritage sounds alien to me.

AMEN to that and I wouldn't want the job, but recent (last couple of years) events in a couple of countries have caused me to be glad they are there.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

royalty do fuck all.

1. Danny 2

It was the English songwriter Julian Cope who was in a group named Queen Elizabeth and popularised the term 'Fuckingham Palace scum'.

I can't get back to my Edinburgh flat today due to road closures and full public transport due to the brainwashed Palace scum viewing her 'lying in state', ie staring at a coffin. I hope they are keeping her body refrigerated because it's going to be rank by the time they fly it to London - they could have put her on the Megabus from Aberdeen and she'd be there by now.

I'm glad to see the red masthead flying again.

My English nephew just returned my Leonard Cohen CDs after a year, which include the song Treaty, unplayed. He couldn't find a CD player to play them on. He is a DJ, thousands of pounds of kit, not one CD player which underlines I am a remnant of a past civilisation.

Every monarch was a hi-tech monarch because they could always afford it.

2. A.P. Veening Silver badge

royalty do fuck all.

FTFY, otherwise there wouldn't be any royalty anymore.

54. Danny 2

My night in a royal palace

I'm sorry for spamming the thread but I just remembered I spent two days and a night in a royal palace, Glamis, back when the Queen mum was a thing. How many of you plebs have slept in a royal palace? Aye, I thought not.

It was on BBC Countryfile last night, iPlayer now, apparently one of Liz's favourite childhood places.

It was horrible, far worse than a night in the cells. Draughty, freezing, damp and you couldn't start a fire in the fireplace let alone burn the place down even if there had been fuel. That much money and acreage and they didn't have any firewood?

I was pals with the gardener, and the gardens were horrible ornamental guff, which I mentioned to my pal but he was 'only following orders'. Aye. He took my advice and quit to move to the Scilly Isles, which sounds to me to be some sort of Elven tropical paradise.

The Queen was a masochist. Apparently her personal bagpiper would have to play for her at 9am every morning regardless of where she was. In a palace, up a hill, 9am bagpipes. I'm a proud Scot, and I like Scottish bagpipes every decade or so, but never at 9am.

55. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What the people want to know is if there will be an autopsy - was it the Covid or was it the jab?

Incidentally, what really happened to Diana?

56. kschrock

In my opinion...

I don't think y'all deserve the monarchy. I just read a "down with the monarchy" article.

Why should the people tear down the monarchy? "The monarchy has $28 billion in assets."

These are the people that built and rebuilt and maintained all that is great about the United Kingdom. 800 of them.

How about the wealth and power of the thousands of eastern European gangsters pulling the strings there? That ok?

The Royals, all of them, are worth $28 Billion dollars. Doing the math, this is about $35 million per peer.

Elon Musk, just one man, is worth $241 Billion dollars.

Jeff Bezos, just one man, is worth $114 Billion dollars.

Surgey Brin, just one man, is worth $95 Billion dollars.

People are running the streets, raping and killing others.

But, It is all the Royals fault? ... You think so? Really?

We have no Royals, but more rape and murder.

Perhaps there is some correlation there?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like