back to article Instagram fined in Ireland for violating children's privacy

Ireland's data protection authority has fined Instagram almost $400 million for mishandling children's data. The Data Protection Commissioner's (DPC) decision follows concerns about the collection of children's data including phone numbers and email addresses. According to complaints, some children were able to upgrade to …

1. OhForF' Silver badge

Appealing fines

This inquiry focused on old settings that we updated over a year ago and we've since released many new features to help keep teens safe and their information private

"The speed trap focused on old data and my car is now parked so it no longer exceeds the speed limit"

1. EnviableOne

Re: Appealing fines

At least the DPC has grown a pair and is starting to take on the firms taking advantage of their low tax status.

We will see how much they actually collect

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Appealing fines

At least the DPC has grown a pair and is starting to take on the firms taking advantage of their low tax status.

Excuse me for being cynical, but based on past history I think it is not unreasonable to assume that's only because there are no more jobs going at those companies. "Nice company you have there, would be a shame if it got actually fined for what it gets up to .."

2. Anonymous Coward
        Devil

"At least the DPC has grown a pair"

They have just seen their power/gas bills and thought they needed to do something....

2. VoiceOfTruth Silver badge

Watch as they cave in

A few words from Washington will tell these restless satraps who's boss.

3. Smeagolberg

OK, that's the kids taken care of. Now when are the grown-ups going to get protection against Zuckface's evil empire?

4. pimppetgaeghsr

Just the cost of doing business I suppose. No doubt all those sociopathic product managers at META are licking their lips at younger vulnerable generations who are now addicted to screen time and advertising.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like