back to article Asus packs 12-core Intel i7 into a Raspberry Pi-sized board

If you’ve ever thought to yourself these single board computers (SBC) could use a few more cores, Asus’ Aaeon latest system might be right up your alley. The biz’s GENE-ADP6, announced this week, can pack as much as a 12-core/16-thread Intel processor with Iris Xe graphics into a 3.5-inch form factor. The diminutive system is …

1. David Pearce

Product lifecycle?

The question with this class of SBC is how long will you be able to buy it for after you have designed it into some system

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Product lifecycle?

The critical consideration for business application.

There's loads of great boards out there that are far more powerful than the Rasp Pi, but the Rasp Pi is good enough, has lots of general support, and the company is upfront about advertising minimum time of production runs, etc...

1. Adrian 4

Re: Product lifecycle?

It's well suited to particular classes of jobs as, probably is this board. Higher computing power (especially in the light of related energy problems) isn't a good thing in itself.

2. Pete 2 Silver badge

Because we can?

> a 12-core/16-thread Intel processor with Iris Xe graphics into a 3.5-inch form factor.

Until you account for the size of the heatsink needed and the power supply for such a beast.

Having such a small board becomes a bit pointless with all the ancillary equipment it requires.

1. easytoby

Re: Because we can?

I am wondering this too. I love the small board integrated set ups, right back from the mini-ITX. But heat and power must make this into at least a toaster sized unit in use?

2. Andy The Hat Silver badge

I thought it looked great but it needs an 80W psu, chunky cpu heatsink and general board cooling at which point it's the size of a mITX which is not so much of a story ...

1. twellys

I was going to say the same -mega cooling needed!

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

well, you can liquid-cool it. Or get a pocket-sized fridge.. ;)

... and wait for the electricity bill ;)

4. MattPi

If you (like I did) see this and thing and say, "What a cool little desktop I could build!" you're right. But this is designed for embedded applications so presumably it'll be embedded in some larger piece of equipment where a heat-sink and 80W PSU may be a drop in the bucket for the overall system weight and power budget.

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

That's the point... if the "heat-sink and 80W PSU may be a drop in the bucket for the overall system weight and power budget" then they could go with a commercial PC motherboard because they're not space/weight/power constrained, especially at $1200+

1. Spoobistle

Re: Space

Space might be the relevant issue - a typical desktop style MB could be a bit big for e.g. biotech instruments. $1200 looks like a bargain for spares in that class.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Space

Or it has to go inside a EMC / dust /waterproof enclosure inside a machine. Then suddenly a motherboard size box inside your Gruntmeister (with an umlaut) 2000 gets surprisingly expensive.

If you want a PC this size and this powerful with a chance they will be around in 10years, look at Shuttle

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

$1,217.00

this should have been way up the top of the text ;)

1. twellys

Re: $1,217.00

Ouch!

1. that one in the corner Silver badge

Re: $1,217.00

> Ouch

Not bad though, compared to the current price of a Raspberry Pi 4 on Ebay.

4. Adrian 4

Register unit of computing power

Now we've abandoned the teraflop in favour of the raspberry pi as a unit of computing power, what will the units of electrical consumption and thermal output be in el reg articles?

In honour of the now-obsolete Watt, maybe it should be related to steam and kettles. Journalist cuppas-per hour could be used for both electrical usage and temperature increases, though both size-of-Wales (or whales) and Hiltons might be relevant. I guess the reg unit system needs some unification.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Register unit of computing power

"what will the units of electrical consumption and thermal output be in el reg articles?"

The Cattle-Prod? (No need for mega- prefixes either since we already have the BOFH- prefix modification for the higher power ratings.)

1. TheRealRoland
        Thumb Up

Re: Register unit of computing power

*Taps the sign* https://www.theregister.com/Design/page/reg-standards-converter.html

Perhaps this is in need of an update?

5. nautica Silver badge
    FAIL

A "teaser"...with just the opposite effect.

The number of SBCs which keep rapidly appearing, and just as rapidly disappearing, is getting tiresome.

Aaeon can't be serious about wanting into the SBC marketplace with this product, simply based on price.

If you really think they're serious, simply head on over to their website provided by the hyperlink in this article in order to get a price. You won't find any prices; instead,you're asked to fill out a lengthy form, "to get a quote", which would put a passport application to shame.

You aren't really serious, are you, Asus?

Go away.

And, El Reg, how about not running articles like this any more. The simple criterion for not publishing would be the vendor's unwillingness to be totally up-front regarding prices. so that you can make the prices---an interesting, informative, and (should be) absolutely mandatory part of the article---immediately available to the reader.

See how simple this is?

And one last message for you, Asus: based on how hard you're making it to get basic, BASIC information on this brand new killer product, I would not even, on a dare, consider it, under any circumstances.

See how simple this is?

1. doublelayer Silver badge

Re: A "teaser"...with just the opposite effect.

I agree on the pricing. If you sell something to individuals, or even to businesses who might buy one of them at a time, post the prices. Don't make me email you to ask how much the thing costs. Even if you don't sell that many of them, it suggests there's a reason to hide the prices, which dissuades me from sending an email I expect to be pointless but add me to a spam list.

The only reason not to post prices is if they intend on negotiating with every perspective buyer, which only makes sense for bulk orders. That's not the case here, and I'm prepared to guess they already have a price list they send to anyone who wants to buy less than a hundred units.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Me want

Could be quite nifty for hosting an in car computer

7. nautica Silver badge
    FAIL

"This stinks on ice."--old saying. Extremely appropriate--NOW.

Everything about this "article" smells exactly like a thinly-disguised reprint rehash of a manufacturer's Press Release.

8. John Klos

Raspberry Pi-sized?

How is this Raspberry Pi-sized? I've never seen a Pi that's this large, unless one considers some of the motherboards that take multiple Pi Compute modules.

Also, no Pi requires an 80 watt power supply. It's not in the league of a Raspberry Pi at all.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like