back to article Apple Silicon takes a back seat at iPhone-heavy launch event

At this week’s big iPhone launch, Apple's custom Arm-compatible chips – known as Apple Silicon – received little fanfare compared to what the processors have enjoyed at previous events. The main attraction was the iPhone 14. It's the first new iPhone since the short-lived 5C was introduced in 2013 not to launch alongside a new …

1. Snowy Silver badge
    Coat

Missing

<quote>“This engine enables a 1Hz refresh rate, always on capability, higher-peak brightness, and the advanced antialiasing that makes dynamic island animations so incredibly smooth,” Joswick said. “The image-signal processor was designed to support a new generation of technology that provides our most powerful pro camera system ever.”</quote>

This engine enables a refresh rate as low as 1Hz.

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Missing

1Hz isn't a typo. It's a power-saving feature.

C.

1. Snowy Silver badge
        Facepalm

The only problem with that is no other screen refresh rate is mentioned in the article.

2. brainwrong

"dynamic island animations"

It has a live video feed of Anak Krakatoa?

I want one now.

3. gnasher729 Silver badge

Same as some Amazon ebook readers that I remember. 1Hz refresh means you can see the screen, but there is very little energy used to upgrade it. Reading eBooks at 120Hz refresh seems a bit pointless,

2. theloon

Yawnnnnnnn ..... another phone iteration another headphone update...

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

More of a "repaint the lipstick" update.

Phones have stagnated, and, apart from willy-waving, there aren't any real reasons to upgrade to the latest shiny.

1. FIA Silver badge

Didn't iPhones basically stagnate around the iPhone 6?

That's the one I remember all the media being really annoyed that wasn't revolutionary. (although at the same time no-one seemed to know what revolution they expected... just that it should revolve somehow...)

I've just ordered the new phone as every year for the past 3 years I've looked as the new one is released and gone 'meh, mine's still fast and the camera is still good', but this year my current phone started to go wrong.

That's pretty much the reason to upgrade.

(aside: Whilst the name is dumb, I do like the UI faffery around the display hole, it's a clever way to utilise what is otherwise a slight irritation. It felt the most 'apple like' UI innovation in several years).

1. tip pc Silver badge

This year I’ll have had an X for 5 years, that said it’s the 4th having been replaced by insurance because of water damage.

I’ll be getting the 14, hopefully I’ll just have 1 for the next 5 years.

2. pimppetgaeghsr

But if they make them easier to scrape, crack and wipe off the shine, people will know you didn't upgrade like some sort of pleb.

3. rlightbody

I thought that too, but the Pixel 6 that I'm using has genuinely surprised me with the quality of its photos, especially in poor light. Its a real step forward from the previous phones that I had. Battery life is still rubbish though...

I want a rubberised phone that doesn't need a case, and has genuine 2 day battery life, even if that means its a bit thicker.

3. trevorde Silver badge

Summary

* marginally improved phones

* improved headphones

* new watch (same as Garmin)

* still ignoring 'The Register'

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Also, no attention paid to iPads judging by iOS16

I installed iOS 16 on an iPad to have a look at it, and ironically it has even fewer functionality for the home and lock screen than the iPhone has despite having a much larger screen - it is clear that dev was focused on iPhones. Now that's gone live I suspect iPads will be next.

As for the phones, God help emergency services now natural selection will no longer apply to the dumb ones. Yes, It's perfectly OK that it offers assistance in places where a normal phone would no longer work, but we know the moronic majority will see this as an excuse to get themselves into even more trouble.

5. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Boffin

enables up to double the amount of noise cancelled

So, somewhat under 3dB then? AKA 'a just noticeable difference'...

6. Marty McFly Silver badge
    Angel

Evolutionary, not revolutionary

More CPU, more memory, faster this & that. Evolution of the iThingy.

Nothing revolutionary. Haven't seen that for a long time. All hail Steve Jobs for the last revolution.

7. 43300 Silver badge

This "Pro" thing. Can anyone explain how it applies to headphones? Microsoft popularised it for the version of Windows which you could actually use in a business setting (i.e. they hadn't crippled domain join, unlike the Home versions) - that was just about logical as it was the version for business, i.e. 'professional' use.

But headphones? Listening to drum 'n' bass on the train in a 'professional' way? How would that differ from doing the same thing in an 'amateur' manner?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like