back to article LG makes a TV roughly the size of a queen-sized bed

LG Electronics released a TV it is claiming is “the world’s largest” OLED. The electronics chaebol said the telly, labeled 97G2, with its 97-inch screen would be available for purchase in global markets, starting in “the following weeks.” The specs aren’t available, but a similar 98-inch model, the now discontinued LED …

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Missing

The most important number ?

1. Alvar

Re: Missing

If you need to ask, you can't afford it :)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Why not? Just sell them for a loss. Isn't that what most TV manufactures do now a days?

Who cares if you aren't making profit the the hardware, when you can sell the user info for so much more.

1. ThatOne Silver badge

> Who cares if you aren't making profit the the hardware, when you can sell the user info for so much more

That only works to a point: Here you'd have to sell the users themselves to get some of that money back!...

No, those are Veblen goods, something somebody would put, along with a couple Italian sports cars, in his 64-room villa in [posh, overpriced neighborhood]. The price is irrelevant, and being inaccessible to the rabble is actually the biggest part of their attractiveness.

2. Dr_N

17.598 linguine ?

3. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

The price is proportional to diagonal raised to the 4th power. That's the area divided by the success rate, which is proportional to the area.

Luckily, going bigger cuts the cost because it becomes an array of constant sized modules with a good success rate. Just throwing that out there to justify a really big screen.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Power consumption?

5. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Missing number = 69

You know what it will be used to play...

6. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

Don't care. Want one.

As far as the missing number, everyone knows it's 42.

7. druck Silver badge

We'd need to add the cost of partially dismantling the front of the house to get it into the first floor living room. A 75" only just made it up the stairs around the corners.

1. ThatOne Silver badge

This is a non-issue: People meant to buy this also have houses with patio doors large enough to drive a private jet through...

Yes, that's jealousy speaking, so what!

8. pavel.petrman

(Error message says this post must contain letters, to there you go.)

9. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The number of walls that need to be taken down before this thing can enter your living room?

How could they know, they've not visited your home yet!

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
    Pirate

If you have to ask the price...

....you can't afford it :-)

3. xyz Silver badge

I'm reading this on a phone...

Nuff said.

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge

Re: I'm reading this on a phone...

I'm reading this on a 150 inch screen!

4. The Indomitable Gall

What I find amusing...

What I find amusing is that they're selling a device that simple geometry suggests has bigger pixels than any screen I've owned since the GameBoy Colour and trying to bamboozle people with talk of "micrometer scale pixels"

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge
      Holmes

Re: What I find amusing...

Micrometer sized pixels on a two metre wide screen rather implies two million pixels across, no?

No doubt that's why they need "α (Alpha) 9 Gen5 AI Processor and advanced picture algorithms to deliver lifelike images "; it joins the heady ranks of displays whose designers believe they know better than the content creators how an image should look.

1. The Indomitable Gall

I think all they're saying is "not quite a millimetre each"

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
          Coat

I agree, but is that 'not quite as big' or 'not quite as small'? Oh, and what size is a 'quite'?

P.S. we need a 'confused' icon!

2. StargateSg7

Sony's broadcast division (i.e. where they price $135,000 for a cinema CAMERA!) has a 16k resolution LED display which has a much larger footprint (i.e 5 metres wide!) for a mere $1.5 million USD!

The highest resolution display I have ever seen is an RGB Laser rear projector which does 1:1 square aspect ratio at 131,072 by 131,072 pixels at 64 bit RGBA colour at 240 fps (i.e. 16-bits per Red, Green, Blue and Alpha channel) used for space/satellite imaging and they have EIGHT of them in a 360-degree surround-view mode!

They also use it for 3D animated and real-time rendered CAVE environments using in real-world environmental and product simulations! I should also note that CRYSIS, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare and Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 LOOK GREAT on that system!

V

3. Crypto Monad Silver badge

Assuming this is a 4K (3840x2160) screen with 16:9 aspect ratio and 136 inch diagonal, the pixels will be 0.784mm each side.

Quite chunky, in other words. In old school terms: about 32.4 dpi.

5. ITS Retired
    FAIL

Not to derail this, but

When are they going to start making 24 inch TV/monitor again, for those us us that don't have room for billboards in our homes?

All I can find are last year's warehouse surplus 24 inch monitors. I need both monitor/TV in one package.

1. DS999 Silver badge

Re: Not to derail this, but

Why do you need a "TV"? Are you going to hook it up to an antenna? If not, there is no difference between a monitor and a TV other than the latter adding a bunch of useless smart features.

Even if you are, they make external tuners.

1. rfrazier

That's what we do. We don't watch TV often, and only FreeView then. So, I have a (retired from home office) mini-itx computer + TV USB dongle + LG 32" 1080p monitor + Edifier speakers. All controlled by KODI. It has been working flawlessly for years.

I can hardly even imagine where we would put a larger screen. We would have to get rid of some bookcases, which, given my wife's predilections, is not going to happen. Ever.

Best wishes,

Bob

2. ITS Retired

Yes, I have an antenna. Not paying for any streaming services, when their are enough free local off air TV channels to keep us entertained when need be.

My computers are all Linux. Not all tuners work properly, or even at all, with non windows computers. Even those that are supposed to work with Linux have multiple fixes listed when I do the googling on them to find something that should work.

Just give me a 24 inch TV/monitor, without the hassle of another plug in card, or USB gadget with more drivers I have to down load to make it work with Linux. Assuming I down load the correct one.

With a TV/monitor, two connections. One to the antenna and the other to the computer video out. Done! No fuss, no muss. can even us the TV without the computer if need be.

1. DS999 Silver badge

You can get tuners that don't use a computer at all, they are standalone and connect to your TV via HDMI the same as a cable or satellite box, so Linux compatibility is irrelevant.

2. Tom 38

If its DVB-T2 you're after, ironically the Microsoft Xbox USB TV tuners do an amazing job under Linux. You can get them everywhere and they're only £18.

3. Spazturtle Silver badge

Buy a monitor and then buy one of the round BT YouView tuners off ebay, they support DVB-T2 (FreeView HD), all the catch up services and because they are pre-smart TV era they are very responsive and fast as they run purpose built software instead of Android TV.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

24" screens? That's because you're looking in the wrong section. Go check out mobile phones instead!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mmm

Tonight I sleep on top of my favourite pr0n star.

When will they bring out the soft'n'flexible screen version with haptic feedback? I can hardly wait!

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge
      Joke

Re: Mmm

LOL, El Reg you are making me laugh every time I see the Anonymous Coward icon now that the "description" has been updated - LOL.

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge

Ha! I hadn't noticed that!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

One can only hope for an early release.

3. EVP

Screen saver will get a whole different meaning in your context.

7. Marty McFly Silver badge
    Big Brother

Parlor Walls

As our technology inches ever closer to the 'Parlor Walls' in Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451, so does our society inch ever closer to his vision of a dystopian future.

1. PhilipN Silver badge

Re: Parlor Walls

I was thinking of his story about the wall-sized "TV" showing pictures of the African savannah. Mummy and Daddy get eaten by lions. Details hazy. Years since I read it.

1. Martin
        Happy

The Veldt - first story in the "Illustrated Man" collection.

You're welcome.

1. PhilipN Silver badge

Right! Thanks. Should have remembered that.

2. Shades

Deadmau5 isn't everyone's cup of tea but...

YouTube: Deadmau5 - The Veldt

3. Sixtiesplastictrektableware

Re: Parlor Walls -- Point Avoider

Too cool!

Been listening to old radio shows after the workday (take a break from the tube).

On tap right now is 'X Minus One' circa 1955.

The Veldt is one of their early offerings. Timely!

2. cyberdemon Silver badge
      Big Brother

Can I have this WITHOUT the alpha-9 AI processor?

Errr, nope.

8. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Facepalm

In a word...

... why?

1. First Light

Re: In a word...

Apparently they want to see up the nostrils of every actor and actress around. While contributing heartily to planetary destruction.

I thought this kind of unsustainable crap was passé. Silly me.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: In another word...

Why not?

The answer to your question is obvious: because they could.

3. werdsmith Silver badge

Why? Because there are loads of commercial/entertainment applications for large displays. I’ve seen on near me, when’ve get close up to it, it is actually four large displays arranged in a quad to display one image. Then the market for wealthy people who have home cinema rooms.

I don’t think LG had you watching reruns of Knots Landing your kitchen in mind when they designed it.

4. Anon 20

To resolve 4K video fully you need to be within approximately the distance of the screen diagonal. 8 feet is quite a reasonable distance to watch TV from.

This serves to illustrate the pointlessness of 8K TVs outside of a cinema sized veue.

9. aerogems Silver badge

Asking for a friend

Could this replace a load bearing wall in a house?

1. David 132 Silver badge

Re: Asking for a friend

The box it ships in will make a house, if that helps...

10. Nifty Silver badge

The problem with mattresses is getting one into the car, then up the twisty staircase and into the bedroom. Which has been sort of solved by the advent of rolled up packaging of mattresses. If in doubt, refer to a certain Swedish furniture retailer. Now, about these 97 inch screens...

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

So this box just contains 12Million pixels and an Allen key ?

11. R Soul Silver badge

giraffes?

I don't understand these new-fangled units or care about how many giraffes the screen's diagonal measures. What's the area of this telly in our traditional unit for that, the Wales?

1. Giles C Silver badge

Re: giraffes

0.1352 NanoWales if you must know

(80.1 x 50 is 4355 square inches) feed that into the standard converter)

https://www.theregister.com/Design/page/reg-standards-converter.html

12. Joe W Silver badge

People told me "imperial and US units are sooo easy"

And then this: "has dimensions of 87.1" x 50" x 4.5", meaning it surpasses 7 feet in width while standing over 4 feet tall"

We-ell. So easy to understand what 87" means that it needs to be converted into feet so people have an idea of how big that is (I still don't, 7ft is about 2m and a bit, I guess, and 4'2" is about... yeah, a metre and a half-ish, or so? Meh. Not that I care...

Re: People told me "imperial and US units are sooo easy"

And to the left, three yards beyond,

You see a little muddy pond

Of water, never dry;

I've measured it from side to side:

'Tis three feet long, and two feet wide.

William Wordsworth: The Thorn

13. Denarius
    Meh

Meh

Pointless as still nothing to watch ? Sticking with dead tree carcass.

Reruns free, able to meditate upon contents if required, and will still work in 10 years. Even have a couple over 100 years old still working. Aside from that, the IO rate is orders of magnitude faster.

Best of all, the older books don't trigger my irritation at grammar and spelling errors. The blundering ignorance displayed by the limited vocabulary afflicted talking heads of last 20 years is too much to bear.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: Meh

Those are some impressive books that you can watch live sports in.

Re: Meh

Well, there's always 'Wisden'...

14. that one in the corner Silver badge

McGoohan Revealed

At last, TV set large enough that you can comfortably watch The Prisoner and spot the bits in the background that explain it all! Like the way that *other* pigeon flies across the screen in "Hammer Into Anvil" or - what? How did Rover fit in

15. Jamie Jones Silver badge

Is that all?

I'm currently reading this article, and typing this reply on a 150 inch screen.

(Well, ok, it's a projector, but it still counts!)

16. nullpoint
    Boffin

Parlour Walls

No one made a Fahrenheit 451 one reference? oh well I guess we are well on the way the way then. Someone call the Fire Brigade.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like