back to article NASA selects 'full force' for probe into UFOs

NASA is pushing ahead to recruit a panel of experts and publish a much-awaited report on unidentified aerial phenomena (UAPs), all with a budget of up to $100,000. UAPs are observations of strange airborne objects and other things in the sky that cannot be immediately explained. Everyone's heard of the UFO; UAP is the term …

1. chuckufarley Silver badge

Wait...

...Did NASA just say "Trust me" ???

1. Totally not a Cylon
      Coat

Re: Wait...

Yep....

No bright pink flying restaurants around here....

1. Kane
        Alien

No bright pink flying restaurants around here....

If you've done 6 impossible things this morning, why not round it off with breakfast at Milliways, the Restaurant at the End of the Universe?

1. Wellyboot Silver badge

I'm more inclined to burgers.

1. Uncle Slacky Silver badge

There's always the Big Bang Burger Bar then.

2. Youngone Silver badge

She’s built like a steakhouse, but she handles like a bistro!

1. MachDiamond Silver badge

"She’s built like a steakhouse, but she handles like a bistro!"

Are you suggesting we not go with the Infinite Improbability Drive and use Bistromathematics instead?

2. chivo243 Silver badge
    Trollface

assistant deputy associate administrator for research

Isn't this the equivalent of the paperboy?

1. jake Silver badge

Re: assistant deputy associate administrator for research

More like the intern deployed as the librarian's assistant flunky.

1. IceC0ld

Librarians flunky ?

I have had a word with the librarian, he wasn't too happy with all of this palaver, and is a little bit put off really, saying he is more than capable of doing what is necessary without assistance.

actually, he said OOK, but, you get the gist :o)

1. dazzlerrazzler

curse Terry Pratchett for giving u knobs things to quote from. Grow up

2. gandalfcn Silver badge

Oook

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No, it's the fluffer.

3. Stork Silver badge

I once dealt with an “assistant follow-up manager”. I think it was Arab for cousin.

1. Snowy Silver badge
        Joke

Or English for Tim™

2. MachDiamond Silver badge

"I once dealt with an “assistant follow-up manager”. I think it was Arab for cousin."

Somewhere in the lost annuls of bookmarks, I have a link to the job titles given to family members. It includes those used in different countries and by different native languages.

3. John70

SpaceX

I wonder if the US Government has warned Musk and SpaceX to keep quiet about any "sightings" they may have had on their travels.

1. jmch Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: SpaceX

"Musk" and "keep quiet" don't really mix!!

1. jake Silver badge

On the bright side, anybody with a brain has tuned him out, with the exception of people paid to listen to him for one reason or another.

2. Ian Mason

Yeah, "Elon Musk remained silent on the matter" that could be a 2020's definition of oxymoron.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Might "oxy" be redundant?

1. gandalfcn Silver badge

ROFL. Made my morning.

4. ian 28

100k a year?

Given the NASA budget is £62,000,000 per DAY, then an annual budget of £100,000 is laughable

1. Wellyboot Silver badge

Re: 100k a year?

It'll cover the flight/hotel costs bringing them together for the inaugural meeting!

1. bpfh

Got to pay for coffee, pizza and Dr Pepper to the unpaid interns somehow….

2. Ken Hagan Gold badge

You certainly won't get much done over 9 months if you only have 100k to spend. Are there some missing zeroes?

1. teknopaul

Maybe they just don't think it will cost much to prove that aliens are not invading our airspace?

Perhaps most of the wierd and wonderful dots on the monitors are actually easily explained: provided you do your research at nasa instead of 4chan?

100k is one clever person doing something for a year, we ought not to spend too much more.

100k is one clever person, a cat and a dog.

2. IceC0ld

shh, it's a secret

it'll be done off book, all black

you don't really think they pay $32 000 for a hammer do you :o)

gotta save some $$ somewhere for when they are really required

3. veti Silver badge

All they need to pay for is maybe two meetings (half of whose attendees will be tele-, anyway), one person to type up the report, and maybe the other $50000 to pay "reasonable expenses" to the poor sods tapped to be on this committee.

It's not like they're being asked to do actual research.

4. gandalfcn Silver badge

"Are there some missing zeroes?" Nope, three too many.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Snowy Silver badge
        Black Helicopters

Or one man in an Airstream, (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq-G-zlhUPI)

4. Stork Silver badge

Budget dust is the correct term.

As used by a DoD big cheese when my wife’s company asked for a few more million to cover a shortfall.

5. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Knowing NASA, the people working on the project are already research contractors but the project can't exist without an official budget for something-something-whatever. My guess would be logo drawstring backpacks and offsite "conferences."

6. Cave_Homme

I understood from an earlier report from the US that the budget is $10 million.

$100k surely a typo.

"$100k surely a typo."

The first 27 pallets of ammunition is going to cost more than that.

7. aki009

The IRS was just handed $2,000,000 per new employee, for over 30,000 new employees in the next 10 years. So $100,000 is not just laughable, it's effectively a big F-U.

Where did you get those numbers from? InfoLies?

1. aki009

Yawn. You must think that every number that makes the democrats look bad is from some right wing nutwork?

This is just basic math.

The IRA bill includes $80 billion or so of new additional funding to the IRS over 10 years. They are supposed to hire 80k+ new employees, but about 50k of them will be back fills for retirements in that same period. Net 30k new employees. So the IRS is getting more than $2M per new employee.

I have no idea how the IRS can be that inefficient, but just looking at the numbers, they are.

And the whole point here is that we are spending $2M per new putative IRS employee, and just $100k on this UFO thing. While I don't think it'll turn anything up, the fact that it's $100k makes it the pinnacle of absurdity in this government.

8. gandalfcn Silver badge

Risible actually, which is what normal people think about alien UFOs / UAPs

5. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"no other agency is trusted as much by the public as us"

True. And that is valid world-wide.

Still, $100K for a nine month study with 15 experts ? That's around $700 per month per expert, if all the money is going to them which it logically won't be since there will be other costs.

So these experts will be working for peanuts.

Nice of them.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: "no other agency is trusted as much by the public as us"

I'd imagine they'll be working part time... a nine month contract isn't likely to cause many experts to leave their existing jobs.

I dare say their existing employers - I'm assuming universities, aerospace and defence contractors amongst others - are are used to seconding employees.

2. abstract

This also means those agencies are associated with "lies".

" those agencies are associated with "lies"" Only according to the biblical literalist Flat Earth cult et al.

3. MachDiamond Silver badge

"So these experts will be working for peanuts."

That will mean the ASPCA and PETA will file lawsuits. The care and feeding of 15 chimps costs more than $100k in 9 months.

4. IceC0ld

working for peanuts eh ?

OOK

I rest my case

6. jake Silver badge

$100,000 budget! WOW!

That might even get ""some of the world's leading scientists, data practitioners, artificial intelligence practitioners, aerospace safety experts" into Vegas for a couple nights ... but they'll be woefully short on Jack Daniels, cocaine and hookers unless someone loosens the ol' purse strings a trifle.

1. chivo243 Silver badge

Re: $100,000 budget! WOW!

100K is would be needed just for administrative malarky, not to mention paying anyone a salary...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: woefully short on Jack Daniels, cocaine & hookers unless someone loosens the ol' purse strings..

I must remember to point this out during in my next job interview

7. steelpillow Silver badge
    Holmes

a panel of 15 to 17 experts

Sharing $100,000 works out at around $6,000 each. After nine months they push out ONE REPORT between the lot of them, collect their cash and go back to their day jobs.

"We're going full force," said the assistant-emptier-of-trash-baskets. Guys, that's the minimum budget needed to get all the experts up to speed with the Microsoft Office ribbon. The report itself will have to be copy-pasted from the Internet.

1. DJO Silver badge

Re: a panel of 15 to 17 experts

This being the real world we can reasonably assume the experts are already employed and paid or are tenured academics so the $100k will only need to cover additional expenses such as transport and occasional hotel costs and perhaps one or two part-time employees to coordinate the experts and collate any data collected.

1. HereAndGone

The real world doesn't work like that.

U.S. government regulations require billing personnel time against the specific contract line item. It's illegal to pay for travel, hotels, or meals unless the person is also billing hourly against the contract line item.

$100K is one person, no support, for maybe 6 months after 15% contract overhead is scraped off.

17 experts in a meeting with average billing rate of $300/hr each (and No I'm not exaggerating) is $5K/hr.

Assume $1K travel cost per person ($17K)

A one day meeting of 8 hours at $5K/hr (($40K)

That's $57K of your available $85K. You can't even afford a two day meeting, and I left off food and lodging.

Been there, Done that, Have a closet full of T-shirts!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The ending of Raiders of the Lost Ark sprang to mind when I read about this:

"We've got top men working on it."

"Who?"

"Top. Men."

3. thx1111

And then, what might be appropriate to "discover" or "conclude", concerning "UFOs", if these "experts" actually want to *keep* their day jobs?

4. MachDiamond Silver badge

"The report itself will have to be copy-pasted from the Internet."

The report is likely already written and he 15 "experts" are being paid so TPTB can attached those names to the report.

8. Danny 2

My tribute to Professor Josef Allen Hynek

I wrote him a letter when I was seven, and he had the exceptional decency to reply.

I'd bought his book, "The UFO experience : a scientific inquiry" - and any book was a lot of money for seven year olds.

I told him many adults around here had seen UFOs up close, and me and my mates had seen them in the sky. I asked him to send us money to buy binoculars and we'd monitor them at night, form a group and spread the word. He didn't send me money of course, the bastard, him being a professor and me being in primary three. He was so charming and encouraging though, and his books were wonderful to read. I don't know if it was ironic but "The UFO experience : a scientific inquiry" was in a Blue Book cover.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: My tribute to Professor Josef Allen Hynek

He should have sent you the binoculars - after having put black shoe polish on the eyepieces!

9. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Alien

Tiddly tiddly tiddly tiddly

Pom pom pom

Where are Mulder and Scully when you need them?

10. Disgusted Of Tunbridge Wells Silver badge
    Alien

So why?

Clearly the budget is insufficient to do anything. Is this just a speculative land grab by NASA?

Do the higher up's at NASA think that there is a real possibility that UFO's are real? If so, why the paltry budget?

But if not, why the budget at all?

This makes no logical sense. If they were spending tens of millions it would be clear. If they were spending nothing it would be equally clear. But a $100k budget is just confusing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The answer is out there !!!

Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells,

"This makes no logical sense. If they were spending tens of millions it would be clear. If they were spending nothing it would be equally clear. But a $100k budget is just confusing."

It is known as 'Token Effort' or 'Kicking the can down the road --- NASA Style'. !!!

You claim the justification for the report BUT really do not want the report or care about the contents of the report.

Probably it is a item on a list that just will not go away, so you make a 'Token Effort' at completing the task.

By time it is delivered, if ever, and the report subsequently analysed, it will be forgotten about and any follow up will be much much further down the list of priorities.

[A 'Can' has been duly kicked down the road, maximum result for minimum effort/cost] !!!

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

> Do the higher up's at NASA think that there is a real possibility that UFO's are real?

Just to be clear, nobody disputes that UFOs are real - there are things that have not been identified. They remain UFOs until identified as another jet plane, weather balloon, unusual weather phenomenon or ET in a flying saucer. Indeed, a genuine alien space craft, conclusively indentified as such, is by definition no longer a UFO. ("OFUck!!" would then be a suitable moniker)

1. Tom 7

"unusual weather phenomenon" like the extremely common mirage that seems to account for a huge number of UFO reports? It seems light is even bendier than the human mind!

3. Dave 126 Silver badge

> This makes no logical sense. If they were spending tens of millions it would be clear.

You'd feel a bit silly if you spent millions only to find out something you could have learnt for $100,000.

That they are talking about 15 experts suggests they want input from a broad variety of viewpoints before chasing red herrings.

For all we know, there might mundane and satisfactory explanations that only require a little unearthing to discover.

It's also worth noting that if a mundane explanation is known by the US DoD, they would not be allowed to talk about it if it breached a confidentiality agreement with a supplier of, say, radar equipment.

11. DJO Silver badge

Is it neccesary?

There are 1.4 billion motor vehicles and maybe as many as 20% have dashcams which to me seems a bit high so let's be conservative and say 10% and of them only 1% are in use at any given time, that's 1.4 million video cameras filming 24/7.

And that's before we get onto security cameras, door bell cameras, amateur astronomers gazing in the sky every night with cameras on their telescopes, civilian imaging satellites pointing at the earth that can see everything flying under them. The planet has never been under the level of photographic and electronic surveillance that it is now.

If there was something to be seen, it would be on video by now.

1. TheProf
      Alien

Re: Is it neccesary?

"If there was something to be seen, it would be on video by now."

Well your puny human mind would jump to that conclusion but we, err, them aliens have cloaking devices, sensors to detect and evade recording devices and a map of every camera on your, err, the planet.

Also humans are easy to fool. 'Look over there! A elliphunt!!'

1. Peter2 Silver badge

And if there are videos or photos, how many are elaborate pranks?

http://www.openminds.tv/virgins-ufo-prank-frightens-police-april-fools-day-1989/26742

2. MachDiamond Silver badge

" 'Look over there! A elliphunt!!'"

Nellie the elliphunt?! Where?!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

DJO,

It is, but only available directly from Area 51 !!!

BTW, all the CCTV, dashcams etc etc are there not to provide evidence of UAP or even increase our/your security *BUT* to monitor 'us' so the video evidence can be tracked and 'retreived' and filed away in Area 51. !!!

:)

You heard it here fir ...

... Connection has been lost ........

*** Internet rollback has been scheduled ***

3. Andy Non Silver badge
      Coat

Hey look! A UFO! Quick, grab the worst camera you can find with the lowest resolution and make sure your hands are shaking and the UFO out of focus.

4. Disgusted Of Tunbridge Wells Silver badge
      Holmes

There's the movie trope of UFO's causing electrical devices to pack-in when they're near by, so anything short range ( dash cam, door cam ) wouldn't be able to pick up aliens landing at Knutsford Service's/your front garden and they wouldn't have any clarity at a distance.

1. DJO Silver badge

Ah but the iconic Mr Holmes would deduce that tracking clusters of failing electronic devices would provide a unmistakeable trail.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Indeed, just as mobile phones can be used to monitor earthquakes. There are enough sensors across the aggregate of phones to allow the signal to outweigh the noise.

2. FirstTangoInParis Bronze badge

> aliens landing at Knutsford Services

Hopefully they won’t be spooked by the super short slip road which could cause a premature bio break. Watford Gap almost did for me!

5. pdh

https://xkcd.com/1235/

6. thx1111

Uhm - you did see the video, yes?

https://www.navair.navy.mil/foia/documents

https://www.navair.navy.mil/foia/sites/g/files/jejdrs566/files/2020-04/1%20-%20FLIR.mp4

https://www.navair.navy.mil/foia/sites/g/files/jejdrs566/files/2020-04/3%20-%20GOFAST.wmv

https://www.navair.navy.mil/foia/sites/g/files/jejdrs566/files/2020-04/2%20-%20GIMBAL.wmv

Or, you just wanted to emphasize an ironic point?

1. Dom 3

These US Navy videos are not "hotly disputed" - they are thoroughly debunked. For instance the "go fast" video has been shown to be entirely consistent with it being a weather balloon - using only the information on the screen itself (speed, altitude and so on) and a bit of maths. Why the US Navy couldn't do this themselves is the *real* mystery.

7. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

It is. There are many, many videos of "odd" things in the sky. Unfortunately, of all those millions, nay billions of cameras out there, many of which are mobile phones capable of taking video at 1080p or better with auto focus, not a single user is capable of holding one steady or resting/leaning against something solid to get anything other than a wildly shaky and out of focus image that could be literally anything which emits light at almost any range imaginable. And they always seem to cut out just as the "object" is about to move past something that might give some perspective and a clue to it's size and speed, eg did it go behind or in front of the tree 20 feet away and was it just another blurred moth or flying insect.

12. Howard Sway Silver badge
    Alien

use the tools of science and data to discern what might be happening out there in the skies

Good work Agent Earthling, our undersea base can now be completed in peace.

13. An_Old_Dog Silver badge
    Alien

Again?!

The U.S. Air Force ran Project Blue Book from 1952 through the end of 1969 to do this very same thing.

So why do it again?

1. Danny 2

Re: Again?!

They have to do it again because Trump stole the original Blue Book documents! The fact he took them to Mars on Lago is very suspicious.

The corollary of aliens stopping electronics and electrical systems is people freak out under unfamiliar stress.

I was in a mass car crash once, and the police congratulated me on my driving since I was the only one who hadn't crashed. They asked what I saw and then they told me I was wrong, every other witness disagreed. "Aye, and you're assuming the people who crashed are more reliable witnesses?" Deniers. That is a very long anecdote that I'll spare you the rest.

I drove under a UFO once and nearly stalled the car because I was slowing down on a slope to gawp at and listen to the UFO. If the car had stalled then I'd may have passed out, and then imagined all sorts. I presume a Derren Brown wannabe with a blimp drone.

I could have shot the UFO with a shotgun but a gun licence requires a reason and someone to sign off on it. "To shoot UFOs" didn't seem a plausible reason even in my neck of the woods. That is a very long anecdote that I'll spare you, and more importantly me, the rest.

14. abstract

NASA walked on the moon

Before the dinosaurs on Earth.

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Re: NASA walked on the moon

Tardigrades walked on the moon recently and were probably walking on the dinosaurs too.

1. abstract

Re: NASA walked on the moon

No "recently" allowed here, you conspiracy theorist.

15. stewwy

New plane testing going on?

It's one of those believable conspiracy theories, that the US has used in the past when it is testing new planes.

Or, there may be aliens

Take your pick :-)

1. DJO Silver badge

Re: New plane testing going on?

Have a look at this beastie: http://www.adifoaircraft.com/

Circular lifting body drone, 4 props for vertical flight and 2 jets for horizontal flight. Only at the prototype stage now but that seems to fly very nicely.

2. KBeee

Re: New plane testing going on?

There were many UFO sightings in the Netherlands/Belgium in the early 1980's.

They were generally described as triangular in shape.

Turned out to be USAF testing their new F117 stealth aircraft before it was unveiled in 1988.

16. AdmFubar

Will this be a full force anal probing? It's about time we turned the tables on those darned aliens!

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
      Alien

They have tables in their anuses? handy for picnics, I suppose.

1. Tom 7

Or for cheating in science exams!

17. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

$100,000 and Government Panels of Experts

Jeez, some commenters have silly ideas about expert panels. The members are "seconded" to the panel FOR FREE. The organization they came from continues to pay their full salary and expenses.

1. Lordrobot

Re: $100,000 and Government Panels of Experts

So what is the $100K for... the Lunch Buckets?

1. Martin Summers Silver badge

Well you could get quite a few KFC buckets for that to be honest.

"Well you could get quite a few KFC buckets for that to be honest."

Not so much anymore. The $5 fill-up boxes are around $11 now.

18. karlkarl Silver badge

$100,000?

That will barely be enough funding to get past the interview stages...

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
      Alien

a rounding error on the budget for a single episode of The X-Files

19. Lordrobot

People of EARTH we will CRUSH you little Bstds...

The Register has some fantastic finds... I love this one... Chock full of grand metaphors ... "FULL FORCE"... why not FULL SPACE FORCE... Clearly, if aliens traverse a billion space miles to get here, the Muricans can clearly kick their ^sses without argument. Didn't John and Joan Wayne win WWII? Fully funded with $100K USD, NASA will get to the bottom of these Alian jerks and will offer a stern warning backed up of course by the UK. [It's a long long way to Tipperary... da da dahhh da dahhhh...] We will drive the aliens mad with this song and they will know our resolve.

We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the Van Allen Belt; we shall never surrender.

And who among you doesn't trust NASA? "Who among you accepts the idea of someone inspecting the gynecological files of a mother, a sister, a daughter?" Said Mr. Nasrallah [sorry wrong quote]... Nobody trust anyone more than NASA so it stands to reason NASA would be trusted to inspect the gynecologial files of ..... etc.

And now a moment of Paranoia.... H G Wells

Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us. And early in the twentieth century came the great disillusionment.

Re: People of EARTH we will CRUSH you little Bstds...

"da da dahhh da dahhhh.."

Dwarfish war cry?

20. Meeker Morgan

The aliens will be contacted around the middle of this October ...

... and their message to Americans will be to vote Democrat for the good of The Planet.

There will also be vague hints about being invited to The Federation, if we shape up.

1. Eric Kimminau TREG

Re: The aliens will be contacted around the middle of this October ...

https://www.influencewatch.org/person/james-simons/

21. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

UAP's

We've had them in UK since 2015, with much bigger funding too.

22. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Alien

F-14s Versus UFOs… in Iran

This is a few year old...

See page 3, paragraph 11...

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/reboot/after-45-years-irans-f-14-tomcats-are-still-airborne-173805

"And that’s when things got weird. F-14 crews protecting the facilities reported seeing increasingly sophisticated and bizarre drones, according to Taghvaee. “The CIA’s intelligence drones displayed astonishing flight characteristics, including an ability to fly outside the atmosphere, attain a maximum cruise speed of Mach 10 and a minimum speed of zero, with the ability to hover over the target.”...

Ignoring the UFO bit, that's an interesting article about the F-14s.

23. DenTheMan

Rumour had it....

that in the UK aliens abducted the political rulers and replaced them with experimental FSD type AI.

A martian told me success of the experiment might take 50 years.

1. Adrian 4

Re: Rumour had it....

Pretty sure any level of fake AI would be better than what we have now

24. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: Were there anyone qualified as an expert on the subject

You mean, like David Vincent?

25. Eric Kimminau TREG

I trust this "investigation" as much as I would trust any Democrat

Its being run by "one of the largest Democratic donors in history" and his private Foundation.

https://www.influencewatch.org/person/james-simons/

This is going to be about as unbiased as an investigation of Hillary Clinton's emails.

26. Arty Effem

If there were any experts on this subject, an inquiry wouldn't be needed in the first place.

27. The Northerner Up North

There are experts on UFO's and Aliens?

We missing something here? Bringing together experts? How can you be an expert unless you have extensive knowledge of something. Is NASA admitting there are Aliens in UFO's nipping around our sky's? and the 'experts' have been studying/working with them for years?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like