back to article AI chip adds artificial neurons to resistive RAM for use in wearables, drones

A newly published research paper describes a compute-in-memory (CIM) chip that combines artificial neurons with resistive RAM (RRAM) so that the AI model weights can be stored and processed on the same chip. A compute-in-memory chip based on resistive random-access memory A compute-in-memory chip based on resistive random- …

1. Filippo Silver badge

Nice! Now I'd love to see the same design used for massive models. Current neural networks are pretty much a highly inefficient software emulation of the real thing.

1. Wellyboot Silver badge
      Terminator

As long as it's never connected to the internet or used in any real world hardware we should be ok.

2. jmch Silver badge
    Boffin

Local AI

If I would ever be using any "AI"* assistance, I would far rather that it resides in 'edge' devices, rather than send all my data to Amazon / Google etc for processing to get a result. It's far far better for privacy.

eg with Alexa, Siri and whatever Google's assistant is called, they are constantly listening in case someone says 'hey Alexa' (obligatoty xkcd**), and sending whoever knows what other data besides the audio stream for processing.

It might be much less efficient, get worse results, and hinder training of future "AI"*s but there's far too much snooping going on already!!

* definitely A but certainly not I

** https://xkcd.com/1807/

3. Zebo-the-Fat

Is "Productization" a real word??

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Productization

See e.g. an old discussion....

https://forums.theregister.com/forum/all/2020/03/27/terahertz_nanoscale_transmitter/#c_4003207

4. adam 40 Silver badge

Sexbot

The CIM functionality will come in very handy.

Damn where's that Paris icon--->>>

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: Sexbot

And take the load off the pentesting community.

5. Calin Negru

I`m confused. What I do understand is that neural networks belong to the realm of software. I fail to understand what 'artificial neurons' are? a new microchip manufacturing technique that replaces transistors and the classical way of building PCB/microchip circuitry?

1. Dr. G. Freeman

Artificial neurons are grown in a dish, rather than picked out of something living.

1. Calin Negru

Well that still makes no sense. How do you combine something living with electronics functioning with electrical impulses representing one and zero.

1. Dr. G. Freeman

https://spectrum.ieee.org/researchers-grow-brain-cells-on-a-chip

here's a quick look at it.

2. lnLog

Artificial neurons use analogue signals not digital, magnitude not value. Hence the comment about the line switches coping with both analogue and digital signalling.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like