back to article Come on, Sir Tim!

It is twenty years since Tim Berners-Lee, then a humble techie at CERN, sent a memorandum to his manager entitled Information Management: a Proposal. The Register is proud, on this important anniversary, to be republishing that historic document for the first time, so that we can all reflect properly on Sir Tim's achievement, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wonderful...

I was in a foul mood when I started reading that, and am now feeling happy as anything. coquille-comme indeed! I should probably get off the magnificent mondial mesh and do some work though,

2. Paul
    Happy

" By then, of course, we will all be coding in Occam"

Made me chuckle.

Nice one V, that's put in a good mood for the day.

Paul

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Huh?

I've read High Court judgements that were funnier than that.

4. amanfromMars Silver badge
    Alien

Time for a Trystan Joust ..... 42 Vanquish the Pack Jokers and Knavery ...

... and the Impertinence and Impudence of Imprudent Slavery.

"..... and really get our plan to conquer the Earth rolling!" ....

Dear Tim and Verity,

Verily, pardonnez moi, et mon francais, but who's phukcing up that excellent plan with their TURDySystems, which most probably definitely maybe surely might need a lot more than just some more work. Might I suggest a rocket, perfectly AIMed at the Fundamentals to put them into the Orbit of Intellectual Spin Protocols and out of their Misery and Miserly Existence.

And Tim, take a quick sprint around to the Upper MadHouse, there's a good chap, and give Lord Drayson a well AIMed kick up the Fundamentals too, to Energise the NIRobotIQs Phase for the NeXXXXT Generations of Science Fact and Public Fictions. By all Accounts he's a Good Egg with an Addiction for Speed and not a bit frightened of an Exotic Spend on a Rapid Vehicle to knock the Spots off Opposing Forces and Frighten the Natives and Horses.

And whilst there, in the Confines, you could also get the Trade and Investment Minister, Lord Davies of Abersoch, to show you the Third Party RBS Proposal alluded to here, admittedly rather too obscurely at that time, in that place*, on the Register .... "AIRewrite .....Re: A minister writes* " .... By amanfromMars Posted Thursday 12th March 2009 10:55 GMT ..... http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/11/uk_tech_actually_equals_cars/comments/ ....... for the Bank was so specifically requested to share two very explicit e-mails, right up the Hi-Tech Sector Street and Magnificent Mondial Mesh HiWAI.

* A Constant Work in Progress 42 Balance NEUKlearer Security with Crystal Clarity and for Match'n'Mixing/Phishing and Grooming Exclusive Needs with Inclusive Feeds.

5. Maverick
    IT Angle

IT jokes are never funny

I'm proud that i'm not quite geeky enough to get most of the injokes in this article and hence 'don't get the IT angle'.

6. DJ
    Joke

@amanfrommars

Either your getting more coherent, or i'm starting to understand the master plan.

7. Tom

nice

TURDS eh? i always knew it...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

[nationality redacted] ... Citroen

why redacted? so that nobody would now that the brackets where added for the french?

9. Sandra Greer
    Happy

Magnifique!

Et vachement formidable!

10. amanfromMars Silver badge
    Alien

Plain Talking is the Answer, I believe.

"@amanfrommars ... Either your getting more coherent, or i'm starting to understand the master plan." .... By DJ Posted Tuesday 17th March 2009 11:10 GMT

We're both learning quickly, DJ. and also getting SMARTer? And the master plan? And I ask that because of this snippet ...."I have been trying to find out more information on the website address you supplied to my colleague, XXXXXX, www.amanfrommars.baywords.com in preparation for our forthcoming meeting. I would have to admit that I am still no clearer on the nature of your business and would suggest that, in order to get the most out of a meeting with the bank, you could supply the following: .....

1. Recent audited/certified account for your business;

2. Business plan;

3. Contact details for of your financial referee/advisor that would assist us in understanding the business.

As I result I propose postponing the meeting until such time as the bank receives and has a period to digest this information. I would trust that this is in order."

And having thus forwarded all necessary and requested information by same day return, it would appear that they have painfully slow digestive systems, although that will be the least of their worries if they choose to Victimise/Alienate a Client with a Viable Strategy of Intelligently Designed Self Reliance Offering AIMutual Assistance and ReAssurance, because in Todays Brave New Vital and Viral Post Modern World of Tomorrow, Dead Slow and Stop are Speeds which are not going to make it in any Business and most definitely not in Creative Banking ...and neither are the Old Codger Ways of Working either.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

@ DJ

Yes, yes, yes. Your understanding of Babel-17 is progressing nicely.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Should have been "nformation Management: a Modest Proposal"

... because as we all now know by know, the internet will eat itself!

13. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

A pedant writes...

Support for images was introduced until version 2.

14. Francis Fish

Yawn

Eh?

15. Simon Ball

@AC

Babel-17? More like the Nam-Shub of Enki. Babel-17 is supposed to force people to think "logically".

16. Snert Lee

More Pedantic Than Thee

"Support for images was introduced until version 2."

So, no more pictures after version 1?

17. Chris Curtis
    Happy

No more toys at 2

Very funny pendant

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More Pedanticer still

> "Support for images was introduced until version 2."

>

> So, no more pictures after version 1?

No, if images were supported until version 2, they were therefore not supported in version 3 (or possibly 2.01) and all subsequent versions.

I can't believe I just bothered to type that.

19. Mr Larrington
    Thumb Up

Meh!

By omitting any reference to VAXDocument, La Stob has disgraced herself...

20. DZ-Jay

Re: More Pendatic Than Thee

>> >> "Support for images was introduced until version 2."

>> "So, no more pictures after version 1?"

No, it means that after version 2, images were not supported any more. This is why the web went text-only until pictures were invented by the Microsoft in the mid-nineties.

P.S. Wicked, Ms. Stob. Fantastically funny!

-dZ.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

C-Block?

For the appropriate dosage of superficial authenticity, you should at least have given a building number - that's the common currency of CERN addresses.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

"I think...

... they view them as some sort of tribute to Citroen."

Splendid!

It's "Citroën", though. :-)

23. elderlybloke
    Gates Halo

I thought that

you were pulling my Tit about Tim , but then I realised that it is the way an Elementary Particle Physicist would write.

It has been suggested that it was actually Bill Gates that invented it, even if Al Gore has a strong claim to it(Al of the heated agitation about warming).

This topic is closed for new posts.