back to article AMD has a lot riding on its 5nm Ryzen 7000 CPUs. And so here begins the hype

AMD’s Ryzen 7000-series microprocessors will officially launch later this month during the company’s “together we advance PC” virtual event, where CEO Lisa Su and CTO Mark Papermaster will showcase the chipmaker’s Zen 4-based CPU cores. Ryzen 7000, now slated to debut August 29, represents the end of an era for AMD as it …

1. cornetman Silver badge

There are some rumours that AMD hasn't completely abandoned the AM4 platform and that there may be additional CPUs for it with Zen4 tech. inside.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Would make sense

As they wring whatever process improvements they can out of the existing core design and fab line, as they will want to sell cpus for both remaining unsold Mobos, OEM deals and warranty replacements, and upgrades for existing customers.

That will probably include me as I'd rather stretch a partial upgrade now and wait till they have tamed the power leakage a little more, as I am not trying to stay on the bleeding edge right now. But the platform looks solid, and early or late to the party, this will be one of the generations that will probably be good for a few years for those that like longer refresh cycles.

2. The Dogs Meevonks Silver badge

I was reading a few weeks ago that they may be set to release more X3D variants of the 5xxx line. The 5800X3D CPU is a pretty impressive beast of a CPU... So much that I'm considering getting one as the final upgrade on my AM4 system built in April 2020... No plans for a ground up rebuild until at least 2025 seeing as I've must picked up a 6900XT for over £200 below MSRP, have an X570 board with 32GB ram and more than enough NVME & SSD (2TB and 6TB accordingly) along with a couple of 3TB HDD for backup and older games.

3. chuckufarley Silver badge

Rumors may be true...

...or they may not. I do not have the financial powers to test the waters either way. I invested heavily in Zen 3 and it will be a long time before I upgrade my systems.

Aside from from my own personal computers, AMD and their partners would do very to make more embedded CPUs available to the Home Lab crowd. This is an area that hasn't had much love at from them and yet it has the power to make up for the money people like myself will not be spending on this coming generation of CPUs.

We might not need a BMC, or 10Gbps networks, or Registered ECC memory, or a lot of other things that can built into an embedded server board. However, they are not just fun toys: They are Educational Toys. The End User embedded channels can be a high profit market for AMD and their partners if they focus on hitting the correct volumes at the correct price points.

4. JoeCool Bronze badge

That would be an interesting move

Because, then they'd sort of be competing with themselves, based on cost.

More likely AMD would come out with an AM4-7000 CPU after AM5 is established. And then I'm not sure how compelling the upgrade would be.

The current Ryzen 7000 might offer 10-15% performance increase at the same TDP. Maybe a later version would offer more capability.

And an AM4 would have to share fab capacity with the AM5.

More likey AM4 will continue on in lower-power lower-cost segments.

But I'm only guessing, AMD could see the business justifications differently. the 3D V-cache was a surprise release.

5. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

I hope so, as that would make sense. Most people want to spend £75 to £150 for a good upgrade, but not replace mobo, RAM and the lot.

1. richardcox13

> Most people

Be careful generalising. My experience is most people do a full replacement every 4+ years (with maybe a GPB replacement between). My previous experience of such small upgrades has been they don't offer enough of a boost to be worth the hassle.

Simpler upgrades (more RAM, updating GPU) still would cost more than your price range (certainly anything in the last decade) to be sufficient to not have done when the machine was built.

Better to build well now with the assumption of a new build after a good lifetime taking the best balance of performance and price for new major components now with the expectation of a good 5+ years usage.

2. sten2012

I thought I'd future proofed for a generation this time for my home desktop. Ah well. I'm not touching the limits yet anyway so would sit out this gen anyway. Glad to see AMD keeping it up, nice to see some genuine competition between the big players.

Despite the crazy price rises and shortages, it really does seem actual performance progress has been made in the consumer space for the first time in years last generation.

1. The Dogs Meevonks Silver badge

AMD have always supported their sockets for many years. Ryzen came out in 2017, so 5yrs is pretty decent... the previous FX AM3+ socket was about 6yrs & AM3 for about 3yrs before that... with AM3 CPU's compatible with AM3+ I believe.

Compare that to intel... who average about 2yrs at best and often change the socket from one gen to the next... Even going as far as keeping the pin count the same on the socket, but changing pin locations rendering previous CPU's incompatible in the same socket.

1. Sudosu Bronze badge

The funny thing is, I have been building PC's for a long time and never really realized that AMD had such long support cycles for their platforms.

I think when my poor highly OC'd I5 6600k running at 4.8GHz (circa 2017ish) finally gets retired I'll switch to AMD again.

The CPU is my main bottleneck at this point and there are not many options to remedy that that are worth the cost.

With the AMD set up, in a few years, if I am hitting a wall I can just upgrade the CPU to something current and not the whole pile...or at least that seems to be the case.

3. eldakka
    Go

let's hope for a decade of each Intel and AMD generation leapfrogging each other, so intel 12 < AMD 7000 < intel 13 < amd 8000 < intel 14 < ... ad infinitum,

Competition is great for the consumer.

4. Fazal Majid

Good

big.LITTLE is great for mobile, but does not belong on desktop processors. I hope Sapphire Rapids also drops the E-cores.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So......it's not just the fabulous CPU power that we need to hear about....

.....it's the new APPLICATIONS enabled by that power.

For example, we're not going to get seriously interactive video applications across broadband while BT (and others) are claiming that 30 mbits/sec down and 8 mbits/sec up is.............gasp..........."superfast broadband"!!!

My WiFi LAN is running at better than 700 mbits/sec!! (For the Linux folk: $ watch -n1 iwconfig >> "Bit Rate=866.7 Mb/s" as I write this!! )

Perhaps someone at El Reg can provide a commentary on this suggestion??

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If power draw is up 1/3rd we should see multicore performance up by that as a minimum one would really hope. Might stick with my 65w 5600x for a few years!

7. Greg 38

Not a good sign

It is not a good sign that with a new manufacturing node (5nm) and an updated chip design, that the power envelope must be increased so much to achieve the performance gain. It reminds me of when Intel increased the power specs to over 100W on their Northwood and Prescott CPU's in the early 2000's because they couldn't compete with Athlon on a per-watt basis. I'll stick with my Ryzen3600 for now.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'd rather have the same performance but with lower power consumption.

But I think I'm in a minority.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like