back to article Warning: Apple 'could very easily' cripple Jamf

Apple is preparing to compete unfairly against enterprise device management firm Jamf, an advocacy group claimed on Monday, and has asked regulators to take a stand. "Apple's tight control over which companies can play in its sandbox means that it could very easily choose to break or drop Jamf if doing so could open up a new …

1. theOtherJT Silver badge

Apple could very easily cripple jamf...

...further.

Apple could cripple Jamf further.

It seems like hardly a month goes by that Apple doesn't release some new update that randomly breaks something we were relying upon in Jamf. Not that I expect that to get any better if Apple do decide to start offering their own management tool - which by the way it is utterly fucking insane that they don't already, and that we have to buy something like Jamf in the first place.

Apple device management in the enterprise space is a total shit-show. Given the incredible level of control Apple have over their devices it continues to drive me up the wall how reluctant they are to provide tools that can actually manage them properly.

1. DougMac

Re: Apple could very easily cripple jamf...

Apple's complete history has been to ignore the enterprise space with prejudice.

2. anothercynic Silver badge

They had tools. They threw them out with the bathwater when they ditched OS X Server. And the Apple Configurator tool just about does the trick for much of what's needed, except when you have to roll things out. That's why Jamf managed to survive. They've provided the glue. Now Apple plans to make its own...

1. Orv Silver badge

Re: Street signs

I was gonna say -- if they want to compete with Jamf why did they throw out Profile Manager?

2. Frank Bitterlich

Now Apple plans to make its own...[citation needed]

Jamf: "Theoretically, they could break our product."

CfA: "They will break Jamf's product (sooner or later). Defund Apple!!!1!"

And now we're at "Now Apple plans to make its own..."...

Chinese whispers...

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Well, to be fair, when we started to do research into enterprise management tools that did not pose a security and privacy risk (or, put a different way, did not set us up for later regulatory problems) we had to take jamf off the list quite early on.

I can't say that our strict criteria apply for everyone, but jamf got an early 'no'.

From what I hear our search has come up with some alternatives, but there's also talk of developing our own now but the review hasn't finished yet.

2. Snowy Silver badge
    Trollface

An ostensibly nonpartisan left-wing advocacy organization

Does such a thing even exist?

1. Claptrap314 Silver badge
      Devil

Re: An ostensibly nonpartisan left-wing advocacy organization

CNN? The New York Times? NPR?

Just how many do you want?

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
        Alien

CNN is moving to the right in an attempt to recover some viewers. They want to target those Republicans who find Pox News (Fox News) too extreme.

1. katrinab Silver badge
          Meh

What Americans describe as "communist", I would describe as centre-right, especially when it comes to healthcare policy.

2. M.V. Lipvig Silver badge

Nonpatisan? Those organizations are incredibly partisan. There hasn't been a nonpartisan news service since the huge media consolodation of the 90s.

1. ThomH

In ye standard political aside: do you coincidentally mean more-or-less since the Reagan-era abolition of the FCC fairness doctrine in 1987?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Hear hear

3. captain veg Silver badge

Good

I don't use Apple kit. I'm not a sysadmin. i'd never even heard of Jamf before they started spamming my work email address.

Scumbags.

-A.

1. captain veg Silver badge

Re: Good

Hello downvoters.

Are you OK with random American companies spamming me, or just the one operating in the reality distortion field?

-A.

4. VicMortimer Silver badge
    Flame

Why is El Reg quoting right wing sources?

"Influence Watch" is a website created by "Capital Research Center" which is a right wing group founded by people associated with "Heritage Foundation" - a far right organization.

The entire purpose of "Influence Watch" is to astroturf for big business.

"Heritage Foundation" is essentially a hate group. Their stated aims include advocating for racist homophobic, and transphobic laws.

1. Claptrap314 Silver badge

Re: Why is El Reg quoting right wing sources?

You know, from mid-2002 to Jan 2016, we were constantly told "Bush = Hitler". Then, suddenly, Trump became Hitler.

You're going to need to up your insult game a lot if its going to impact anyone after the last couple of decades.

1. ronspencer314

Trump was way more of a wannabe Mussolini. A blazingly incompetent fascist dictator. The deep coordination between Trump and Murdoch's publishing empire also made the combination into a combination of Mussolini and Berlusconi. I'm not sure why the two are so in love with the worst of Italian leaders over the last century.

1. katrinab Silver badge
          Meh

Hitler's policy was to blame the Jews for everything and use that as a means to gain power. His actual economic policies, other than the stuff about targeting Jews which he is rightly remembered and vilified for, were pretty unremarkable.

Mussolini was more about government support for big corporations at the expense of individuals as a way to achieve economic growth.

The end-game for both was of course the same, but if you were looking at them in the early stages, they looked very different. They took a very different route to the same destination.

Looking at Trump, I would say it looks more like an incompetent Hitler than a Mussolini.

2. katrinab Silver badge
        Meh

Trump didn't invade any foreign countries, Bush did, so in that respect Bush is more like Hitler.

But, in terms of domestic policy, Trump is certainly closer to Hitler, though Bush definitely doesn't a free pass here.

2. M.V. Lipvig Silver badge

Perhaps because The Register is reporting a story and these organizations said something relevant to the topic? A proper journalist reports a story and lets the reader draw their own conclusions. An opinion writer does what you want.

A perfect journalist is one who can do political reporting for years without anyone knowing their political leanings by reading what they write. If you can determine who they voted for by reading what they report, they're really a political opinikn writer.

5. DesktopGuy

Apple Business Essentials is currently US only and so based off their acquisition of Fleetsmith which I was testing for iPad deployment.

At the moment, it is not competition to literally any of the MDM providers - even MS InTune.

Considering Apple don't support large enterprise and never did, I don't think this is too much of a concern.

Remember Apple had configurator and Profile Manager and did not really extend that out for years.

Do an Apple Deployment course and they teach you all about Profile Manager then at the end say, go get JAMF if you actually want to manage macOS properly.

Most of the changes admins complain about is standard Apple giving more power to users by not allowing remote access with accepting etc…

The big change lately has been the bootstrapping and encryption of FileVault. The first logged in user get's the token so that ruins fully automated setup workflows.

You need to log in at least once before you can deploy all the rest of the goodies successfully.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge
      Holmes

At the moment

If Apple decide they want to take enterprise seriously, Jamf will be dead within seconds.

Don't forget that Apple get alpha and beta copies of every single piece of commercial iOS and macOS software, because you cannot deploy them without sending them a copy.

So they know what Jamf are doing, and they have infinite money to throw at whatever they feel like.

They've done it before.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why is Jamf blaming Apple?

I thought Microsoft InTune was eating Jamf's lunch? I doubt it's got much to do with Apple. If you're doing Enterprise software, then don't compete with Microsoft...

7. Subhi

It has happened before

Phones4u anyone ?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple's M.O.

I think this is pretty spot on and complete bs on Apples part, but isn't this very much "Apple", though(expect for some key exceptions)? Adamantly refuse to take part or do things your own way, see how things go, let someone take the first x trys/fails/risks, take whats made and "polish it up" change it just enough all the while freezing others out, then present it as the greatest solution to all the short comings that theyve created to others, then fully take over? A so-to-speak "Authoritarian" tech company, if you have a more accurate/better example im all ears.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like