back to article More datacenters coming to Ireland, despite energy concerns

Trouble is brewing in Ireland as a ban on datacenter buildouts in the Dublin area has reportedly been challenged by one developer, while Amazon has now been granted permission for two new facilities near the city amid growing concern over the amount of energy bit barns consume. South Dublin County Council voted in June [PDF] …

1. Korev Silver badge
    FAIL

with a gross floor area of approximately 12,875 and 1,455 square meters respectively

I'm pretty sure the Irish can spell metre properly. Please could we have proper spelling back.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

A device for measuring is a meter.

A unit of measurement is a metre.

If we're going to have to put up with US spelling we maight as well just read Slashdot.

1. Commswonk

...construction of two datacenter buildings (A and B) each over two stories high

As we are talking about spelling that ought to be storeys, not stories.

2. Vometia has insomnia. Again. Silver badge

Quite, and I think it's a sadly accurate comparison as the unnecessary and quite bizarre standardisation on US spelling is only one part of the problem: the overall interestingness and humour that once set El Regipoo apart also seem to have taken a sharp downturn over the same period. If I wanted to read some boring tech trade journal with too many advertorials that's what I'd do, but I don't particularly. By this point I'm mostly skipping the articles and seeing if there's any interesting comments instead.

1. Commswonk

...the overall interestingness and humour that once set El Regipoo apart also seem to have taken a sharp downturn over the same period. ...

Now you mention it I cannot recall seeing any TITSUPs recently; I wonder if they have been part of the ethnic cleansing process.

2. Headley_Grange Silver badge

Fingers Crossed

Same here - not enough quirky articles for me and I'm moving to commments quicker too. The constant running of surveys to fine tune topics of interest is another clue that something's amiss. I fear that El Reg is either short of ad revenue or tarting itself up for a takeover. It's the only tech paper I read and and the only place where I comment because this is such a decent place and not full of the nobs that ruin everything for everyone. Fingers crossed.

1. EnviableOne

Re: Fingers Crossed

At least AliDabbs can be relied on to produce some satirical ire at least once a week

2. Ken G Silver badge

Re: Fingers Crossed

They need some more journalists who write about their tech interests without caring about the readers.

3. Cav Bronze badge

Remember when it used to be "theregister.co.uk"?

They're forgetting the UK origin, with all that entails. Goodbye to Brit humour.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I blame Brexit.

2. Ken G Silver badge

Brit humour on an article about Ireland is usually heavy handed.

3. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

So would it be a metre rule because it's a metre or a meter rule because it meters metres?

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

rural residential consumers

I don't see how the Irish rural population can be profitable.

Isn't about time they were downsized ?

1. DS999 Silver badge

Re: rural residential consumers

The downsizing from the 1840s is still in effect - the population of Ireland is still less than it was when the potato famine started.

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"a ban on datacenter buildouts in the Dublin area has reportedly been challenged by one developer"

Not a problem. Give him permission to build the datacentre [sic] but not to connect it to the grid.

1. Headley_Grange Silver badge

Or at least attach a planning condition to the effect that in the event of power shortages the data centre gets disconnected before other users.

1. ThatOne Silver badge
        Devil

Come on, there will be an expensive "Professional" contract, and the normal "Private" one, which stipulates that power might be arbitrarily and randomly cut, especially during rush hours (early morning to late evening) and in case of too hot, too cold or too mild weather.

Don't worry, it's not all that difficult, there are lots of countries which only have 2 hours of electricity a day (and not necessarily every day)...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As a geologically stable country surrounded by ocean

you'd have thought Ireland would be a poster child for nuclear power (passim).

1. Oglethorpe

Re: As a geologically stable country surrounded by ocean

There's never really been a focus on strategic defence or sophisticated heavy engineering in the Republic of Ireland at the level needed to support a nuclear power programme. What advanced manufacturing does take place (pharmaceuticals, microelectronics) is more a case of small scale financial stimulation in recent years.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I was presuming we were talking about a nuclear programme decoupled from defence ...

2. Ken G Silver badge

Being Irish, I'd like to see some small safe reactors around the place to guarantee energy independence. I expect we'd buy from France rather than build from scratch.

If you look up RTE archives there was a small reactor at a science fair in the RDS back in the 60's, which the Americans had brought in as a demo.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Maybe the UK government could build one of it's annual nuclear plants somewhere with a tradition of heavy engineering, like Belfast?

Since the NI Electricity Network is a subsidiary of the Irish government owned ESB that would be almost the same, without the risks associated with having ignorant Taigs tampering with sophisticated technology.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

IIRC the problem used to be that one reactor would be enough to supply the whole island, which created too much of an "all eggs in one basket" situation.

Maybe with lots of data centres that wouldn't be true anymore?

3. Paul Herber Silver badge

Nukes in Ireland? That's a bit beyond the pale.

1. Ken G Silver badge

Most nuclear plants are not in capital cities.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Geologically stable? Sure.

Politically stable? Maybe, time will tell.

History of gross corruption resulting in cut corners on infrastructure projects? Definitely.

Not sure I want a reactor here given that last one.

1. deadlockvictim

Ireland is quite stable politically.

It may have been/be poorly run but the political system is stable.

There hasn't been a threat to the transfer of power since the 1920s.

5. deadlockvictim

There was an attempt to build one back in the late 1970s-early 1980s but this failed due to public pressure.

The fact that the country was in a severe financial state didn't help either.

Another factor which put the Irish off nuclear power was Windscale/Sellafield. The Irish got the worse half of the deal. Rates for cancer were 20 times higher in Dundalk, across the Irish Sea from Seallafield.

While I think that a nuclear power plant would be good for Ireland's energy mix, I am happy to see the number of windmills on the Irish coastline. If there is one thing that Ireland has a lot of, it is is wind. I would like to see wind becoming the dominant source of Irish electricity.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Rates for cancer were 20 times higher in Dundalk, across the Irish Sea from Seallafield.

I suspect that cigarettes & whiskey might play a more significant part than radiation in that.

5. Jan K.

"People Before Profit"?

Never have I heard of such a ridicoulous thing...

6. ecofeco Silver badge

Well of course!

It is of course VITALLY important that corporations know which hand I use to wipe my arse on Tuesday at 5pm each August and that knowledge should be kept for all of... posterity. In the largest file possible.

7. Dr Scrum Master

Loss of Prime Agricultural Land

Meanwhile prime agricultural land is apparently being converted to solar in Ireland

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Loss of Prime Agricultural Land

Don't worry they'll blame the English

8. bregister
    Joke

Don't worry, it's all in the cloud and we have plenty of those.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like