back to article US CHIPS Act: Getting the funding is just the start

The long-awaited US CHIPS Act has finally been signed into law by President Biden, unlocking $52 billion in funding to boost the American semiconductor industry as a part of the broader $280 billion CHIPS and Science Act. Now the industry has to make good on its promises in a market where inflation is rapidly stifling demand. …

1. elsergiovolador Silver badge

STM32

China is getting closer in cloning more advanced STM32 chips like F7 and H7 series and while Europe only has STMicroelectronics, China has dozens of "companies" working on it in parallel.

How many chip companies do we have? My guess is zero.

2. WilliamBurke
    Mushroom

It's strategic

After a period of globalization, the world is again fragmenting into hostile blocs, who, even if not at open war, will try to make each other's lives difficult through trade restrictions and artificial shortages. The big players (USA, China, EU; not sure where to put India or the rest of east Asia) all try to have a full supply chain under their control. Not sure if this is a good or a bad development (probably a bit of both), but the doctrine of peace through economic interdependence seems to have stopped working with war in Europe and funny games around Taiwan.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: It's strategic

We will have a complete supply chain under our control. India and Africa have historical ties to us which mean they are bound to be on our side rather than China's

1. iron Silver badge

You seem to have forgotten your joke icon.

If not then the Belt and Road Initiative / Silk Road Economic Belt would disagree with you.

1. Snowy Silver badge
          Facepalm

I'm not so sure that the Belt and Road Initiative as made counties like China more, they may even make them hate China.

It as largely been a very expensive Giant Panda paid for by you with money lent by China, carries out by Chinese labour with Chinese materials, with the Chinese labour being feed by China at no point does the local economy get a look in.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: India and Africa have historical ties to us

I'm not sure those historical ties are always considered an unalloyed benefit, especially in the views of people in India and Africa.

3. WilliamBurke

From your lips to god's ear. But who are "we"? Europe and the US are on the same side until they elect another nutcase. Modi quite likes Putin, who is firmly tied to China. Taiwan might suddenly, ahem, become less accessible. Other dangers available on request...

1. Dimmer Bronze badge

Re: Nutcase

If this is referring to the last president,

I don’t trust the media but I am hearing there is a full fledged war going on and that Europe folks are going to be cold this winter - because of politics.

The current president from day one shut down our chances of helping out friends out so when your children are freezing you might re think who your friends are.

From the rural areas of the states, we apologize for the hardships the current one has brought upon you by actions and the embarrassment the words of the last one spoke and above all for our lying media pointing out every flaw in our leaders so they can pit us against each other.

2. Cuddles

I'm not sure Modi especially likes Putin, rather he doesn't dislike him because there is little to no historic or current hostility between India and Russia. China, on the other hand, remains effectively at war with India. They've mostly managed to limit things to the occasional brutal murder with pointy sticks rather than kicking off an all-out shooting war, but the two countries are very firmly not friends. Pakistan may be thought of as their more traditional enemy, but China is considered by far the greater strategic threat. So while Modi may not go out of his way to antagonise Putin when there's no benefit to himself, there's pretty much nothing Putin could say or do that would magically make India forget their arguments with China and suddenly become best pals instead. If things kick off in any way around China, India is far more likely to try to take advantage of it than to join in on their side.

4. abstract

Africa got access to development with China's help. The West never did anything in favor of Africa only organized chaos.

2. abstract

Short sighted as always. It stopped working when Trump began imposing sanctions on Chinese companies. The US have disrupted the global supply chain.

The US realized they were overtaken by China in all aspects. They then adopted a protectionist strategy.

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

I suppose America needs a SpaceX of chip manufacture....

Good luck with that.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like