back to article Microsoft open-sources its emojis as part of new design philosophy

Microsoft open-sourced most of its emoji library this week. Since the company can't resist a rebrand, it refreshed its emoji library last year and has now turned most of the results over to Figma and GitHub. All told, there are more than 1,500 (1,538 to be precise) options for users to express themselves with, but sadly none …

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

That's a gobbet of open source I can do without.

1. cyberdemon Silver badge
      Devil

Assuming this is the same emoji set as used by the latest version of Teams: They are the worst emoji set IMO. Not sure what microsoft's motive is here. Maybe to try to force people to think they are normal?

1. CB__

I agree. The new Teams emojis are awful. The winking one looks like he's been in a fight. Who thought this 3D "upgrade" was a good idea...?

2. Headley_Grange Silver badge

Clippy

The mention of Clippy made me shudder. I think it is responsible for my still-abiding hatred of anything moving on my screen without my express permission.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Clippy

xroach -roaches 5000 -squish -display Headley_Grange:0 &

:-)

1. Dr_N

Re: Clippy

xneko too.

3. r0land
    Holmes

Why have never the egytians claimed copyright, or patent, protection for their beautiful hieroglyphs???

1. Cederic Silver badge

Even Disney haven't managed to extend copyright that long.

2. Waseem Alkurdi

They did.

*That* is the reason behind the death-traps in Egyptian pyramids :-P

4. Forget It
    Happy

Comment

Smiley Face

5. katrinab Silver badge
    Meh

Are they not "typefaces", and therefore not subject to copyright?

The "font software" that deals with hinting and so on, is obviously copyrightable, but the actual designs of the glyphs, I'm not so sure about.

Ask TfL about New Johnston.

1. katrinab Silver badge
        Meh

You can download the "Paddington" typeface, which looks exactly the same.

2. IGotOut Silver badge

Typefaces have been covered by copyright in multiple countries and then sometimes with restrictions on that.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellectual_property_protection_of_typefaces

6. VoiceOfTruth Silver badge

The same applies to country flags

Microsoft "owns" country flags?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

Re: The same applies to country flags

They might avoid calling it country.

1. katrinab Silver badge

I think the Beijing government recognises a different flag for the Province of Taiwan to the one used by the Taipei government.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

We don't care what the mainland provinces of Taiwan think. The Republic of China gets to choose its own flag and the flags of its rogue provinces on the mainland.

7. Rich 2 Silver badge

There be dragons

Being Microsoft, the emojis probably have a security flaw built-in.

1. JDPower666

Re: There be dragons

Don't worry, a 2gb patch will be released on Tuesday to fix them.

8. tekHedd

Just not that great

Is this really just a cry for help?You'd think a company with as much money as MS could do better.

9. gweedo
    Thumb Down

Easily one of the ugliest collections of emoji in existence. They rolled these out to teams not long back and everyone recoiled in horror. Looks like they were drawn with crayons.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like