back to article Microsoft's fix for 'data damage' risk hits PC performance

Microsoft has warned that Windows devices with the newest supported processors might be susceptible to data damage, noting the initial fix might have slowed operations down for some. The data damage warning turned up in a support article (KB5017259) and is related to devices supporting the newest Vector Advanced Encryption …

1. JimmyPage Silver badge

Data damage come again ?????

Sorry but WTF ?

And fair play to Vulture central for indicating this is a load of marketing bollox with the quotes in the headline, but to plough (oops, we're all American now), plow on into the next 2 sentence without a hint of irony ????

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Data damage come again ?????

My first thought was a memory (from the 80s) that it was possible to fry some video cards by messing with the refresh rates, and some disk drives by cycling a hammerhead sequence.

There was also the ability to low-level format some (badly designed) hardcards. However that didn't "damaged" them. Just lost data.

*That's* "data damage" - damage done by data. It has to be, since it is fucking impossible to do damage *to* data

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"... since it is fucking impossible to do damage *to* data"

I thought it meant 'Data Corruption' .... which if true is very much possible !!!

:)

2. Blazde Silver badge

I suppose, to be fair to them - and they don't deserve it - the data is only lost if you didn't make a backup. Having to restore from backups is therefore arguably a data damaged and in need of repair situation, and in this day and age Microsoft can fairly assume their users have backups because they should.

Assholes nevertheless.

1. david 12 Silver badge

If the encryption was faulty, then the encrypted backups were faulty. Or even that only the backups were faulty.

Since it's encryption, it's possible that the original fault did encryption which could not be reversed.

(Not this fault, which is only a speed fault)

The original fault was clearly not very widespread, or we would have heard about it before now.

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"but to plough (oops, we're all American now), plow on into the next 2 sentence without a hint of irony ????"

we're all American now...without a hint of irony

There's why :-))))

4. EricB123 Bronze badge

Plough? I had no idea.

This from an American who lives in Asia (where English, if available, is British English).

1. Korev Silver badge
        Pint

> in Asia (where English, if available, is British English)

Sounds like quite a civilised place

Mine's a warm, flat one -->

2. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

SMH

On the one hand, it's Microsoft being Microsoft.

On the other hand, it's Microsoft's problem of being too popular and having too many combinations of hardware and software to support with the cracks becoming too big.

On the other other hand (what can I say, I'm a mutant) it's the modern world where security slows things down (and costs more money). We are forced to suck it up with no hopes that it will ever change.

1. stiine Silver badge

Re: SMH

That would be 'on the gripping hand.' see The Mote in God's Eye.

3. Scott Broukell

Is it just me, or, for too many years now, have M$ opertaing systems and their updates merely been sticking plaster, upon sticking plaster, upon sti.... (you get the idea). Is their apparent osbsession with "fun stuff" and "user convenience" to blame perhaps? I appreciate that with the constantly changing variety of hardware available there is no doubt a significant challenge to find a level playing field that fits all. But the thing is that there is very little in life that ever "fits all". Personally I would much rather have less, or indeed no, bells and whistles, but instead a stable, secure platform to work with and that requires the bare minimum of tinkering about with once it is up and running. Perhaps that might be called Win11 Lite - I dunno.

1. IGotOut Silver badge

Isn't that pretty much every bit of software?

2. Ramis101

Win 10 LTSC. its the closest i believe M$ comes to a viable OS these days. All the OS you need and no "fluff" updates every 6 months.

4. Swordfish1

Sick and tired of Microsoft, and its excuses

It all the time.

I should charge Microsoft for the countless hours, that I've had to spend, fixing their erroneous updates etc.

I reckon over the last 10 years, I've spent best part of 4 months sorting their crap out,

perhaps its time to bight the bullet, dump windows, and finally move over to Linux

1. Totally not a Cylon
      Linux

Do it!

Linux is much better. So far the only missing item I've found is dragging to extend a data range; instead I just manually edit the data range..... 2 minutes instead of less than 1.....

1. jmch Silver badge

"Linux is much better."

For most people, an OS is only as good as the software it supports.

Moving to a new OS is tricky enough without having to find replacement apps for every bit of software you need, if even such software was ever developed (as in many cases for many industrial controllers and niche applications). Even if a suitable replacement app exists, you have to relearn how to use it, it has to support all your existing files and play nicely with all the other software you have.

For many people who only need a browser and basic office tools, moving to linux should be fairly easy, otherwise it can get non-trivial very fast.

What is needed is to start teaching kids linux at school alongside or instead of windows

2. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
      Windows

Move to Linux

Yes, you should. Stop talking about it, and do it.

I mean, I'm staying with Windows, which I find perfectly useable and stable, but if you're going to whine on so about it, just bloody do it, m'kay?

GJC

5. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Bite the bullet

What an apt expression.

Like give your handgun a blowjob.

Same result.

Ah, Borkzilla. Will you ever stop borking ?

Probably not.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: Bite the bullet

Well glad with one client we bit the bullet and held off upgrading to WS2022. Unfortunately, given the client's commitment to Microsoft, this is only temporary...

2. Korev Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Bite the bullet

> What an apt expression.

Well, I'm more of an RPM distro man myself...

6. druck Silver badge

Performance hit

Oddly, the performance hit is not mentioned in the known issues for the May 24 or June 14 emissions for Windows 11 or Windows Server 2022, but at least Microsoft has come clean now, meaning those wondering why that server or laptop was running slow have an answer.

The reason was running slow is always Windows, I'm sure people are beyond caring exactly which bit.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: Performance hit

Well it seems since Microsoft has not yet issued an official list, you will only experience the performance hit if you are using Intel CPUs starting from the 10th Gen Ice Lake 10nm mobile chips which used the new Sunny Cove design and the first to implement VAES.

With AMD, the Zen 3-based Ryzen 5000 series desktop SKUs as well as Ryzen 5000 mobile parts are hit.

[Sources: https://windowsreport.com/kb5017259/ &

https://www.neowin.net/news/beware-windows-11-ready-cpus-with-vaes-susceptible-to-data-damage-full-cpu-list-here/ ]

2. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Pirate Dave Silver badge

Would it kill them

to release the "fix" for the performance issue as a stand-alone patch without requiring you completely drink the koolaid of the monthly patchgasm?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's slowing down my PC.......Please, can someone get a grip.....

====

My PC had one Intel 486 processor, 33MHz clock, 4MB memory, Windows 3.11, MS-DOS 5.

It performed perfectly for my needs. Upgrades meant MS-DOS 3.3 to 5, or MS-DOS 5 to 6.....once in a blue moon!!

====

My current laptop has one Intel N5000 chip, four Pentium CPU processors, 1.1Ghz clock, 4GB memory.......

.......and the experts in Redmond are talking about "slowing down" after some patch upgrade or another?

Please......get a grip!! Is there something causing brain damage in Redmond, WA??

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like