back to article Barclays inks multi-year deal with Microsoft, starts rolling out Teams

Barclays Bank has selected Microsoft Teams as its preferred collaboration platform, meaning that up to 120,000 of the company's employees and partners globally could be using the service soon. The bank is not averse to the cloudy product lines from the tech giants: In 2019 Barclays set a course for AWS. Its services have also …

1. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Murphy's Law

If you think things couldn't get any worse... a Teams rollout for you.

Nobody mentions that Teams suite is a CPU hog, it drains battery like there is no tomorrow.

Multiple that by 120000 machines and the difference can be substantial. Plus increased wear and tear, sliding work performance and overflowing swear box.

Given that Barclays has pledged net zero support, rollout of Teams is baffling.

2. Missing Semicolon Silver badge
    WTF?

Quote in the wrong article

"gives us an end-to-end collaboration platform that helps us connect our colleagues and enhance our business capabilities."

I'm sorry, I thought this was an article about Teams deployment.

It's a slow, buggy, feature-missing substitute for Slack, a thin wrapper around a bunch of other Microsoft bought-in products.

Example. Transfer a file to someone in a chat. Transfer another file to someone, with the same name. "Do you want to replace (filename)?"

In other words, the chat file transfer is just a view on a hidden Sharepoint folder.

Missing "Paste as Plain Text". Works on Chrome not on the desktop app.

Can't pop out a video call to allow access to the main chat window.

Paste a chunk of monospaced text? Can't add any more normal text after it.

... and so on..

A piece of software whose "fundamental design flaws are completely hidden by their superficial design flaws"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Quote in the wrong article

I had to use Teams in a previous all-Microsoft-desktop shop; it was pretty awful. Mostly because (as a Linux person) I was lost in a sea of poorly-"integrated" Microsoft products to do anything and everything, with Teams at the intersection of the lot.

To be fair, the Teams chat and meeting functions were okay, and mostly worked ... mostly. But they were nothing special, no step up from the other usual suspects (zoom, slack et al). As long as you were committed to the Corporate IT Microsoft paradigm, you could muddle along. Assuming you didn't mind the interrupt-driven communication channel, anyway.

Since then, as an individual non-corporate user, I've rarely had to deal with Teams, but recently was invited to a new job interview which would use Teams. I'd been down that road before (e.g. interviewing for the previous job) so didn't expect it to be any worse, even with my Linux laptop, but discovered otherwise.

In a nutshell, I couldn't find a working combination of Linux + browser anymore that would successfully connect to the remote corporate Teams meeting. I don't have any Windows systems at home, so no help there. CentOS 7, Alma 8, Debian 10, Firefox (apparently simply unsupported altogether), Chromium, all failed to successfully join the Teams meeting, even though my side claimed to connect.

Still don't really know what the problem was, but I'm basically resigned at this point to not working at any companies which are all-Microsoft on the desktop. I can muddle along with Outlook/O365 OK, but Teams and the like are pretty much a non-starter for me now.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There goes Barclays Customer Service!

“…I’m sorry sir, we have a computer problem and can’t process your request. Please try again in…” (glances over at colleague who shrugs his shoulders) “….a while. I’m sorry for the inconvenience. Thank you for calling “

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: There goes Barclays Customer Service!

Barclays? And Customer Service? Hah!

(>Grumble, Grumble< Why yes, I did just move my account from them, because they were so rubbish, why do you ask?)

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

time to short Barclays shares &/or dump them as your bank!

Teams sucks worse than Notes, i feel very sorry for their 120,000 employees. nothing sucks the life out of an org quicker than the constant barrage of Teams beeps.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hope it works for them

Teams is borked here, messages in but none out. POS

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I pity the users

but at least I will no longer have to suffer WebEx whenever I'm in a conf call with them...

1. Down not across

Re: I pity the users

Good for you, me.. I'd take WebEx (with its warts and all) over Teams anyday.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: I pity the users

I'm stuck with Teams (with its own warts) at work, so this will be one less memory-hungry process to worry about. Small win, I know...

7. Valeyard

first you work for barclays..

..then they add teams on top of that

what did these people do?

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
      Coat

Re: first you work for barclays..

How long a list would you like?

8. MrGreen

Busy

The only good thing about Teams is being able to set your status to “Busy”

1. Down not across

Re: Busy

The flakyness of Teams is not all bad. At least you can just kill it in order for your laptop to actually be usable and if anyone complains excuse with "oh teams may need a restart or something".

2. FrogsAndChips Silver badge

Re: Busy

'Busy' doesn't keep people from pinging you, because they think they're important enough to deserve your attention. I prefer 'Appear away' which gives me a good excuse to ignore all messages until I decide otherwise.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Are they still on a version of Exchange that owes $deity a fiver?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like