back to article US Space Force deploys robot dogs at Cape Canaveral base

Space Force, the sixth branch of the US military, has tasked robot dogs with patrolling its base at Cape Canaveral. Towards the end of last month, the Space Launch Delta 45 unit, which is responsible for all East Coast space launch operations, conducted a demonstration using Vision 60 quadruped unmanned ground vehicles (Q-UGVs …

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

The base in Florida?

And they didn't go with robot alligators?

1. RobThBay

Re: The base in Florida?

Or a robot orange guy aka trump?

Where its MAGA hat?

2. Ken Shabby
      Alert

Re: The base in Florida?

I’d go analog, in a swamp up to to your arse in alligators has to be a bad day.

2. Lordrobot

Just a glitch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrXfh4hENKs

3. Pirate Dave Silver badge

We knew this day would come. It's been nice knowing you all.

Off now to go hide in the mountains before the terminators show up.

1. fidodogbreath

Run for the hills!!!

Negative. Da Q-UGVs will attempt to acquire you dere.

2. M.V. Lipvig Silver badge
      Trollface

I keep telling you people that robots will play the long game and destroy humanity with Monroe-bots and Fabio-bots. Release these and we'll be gone in less than 100 years, without complaint and with no destruction of natural resources. And what's 100 years to a robot?

3. Kane
      Terminator

"Off now to go hide in the mountains before the terminators show up."

Metalhead will find you...

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I was thinking Horizon Zero Dawn, now we just need a primitive tribal matriarchal society to produce a cute redhead, skilled with spears and bows to begin the fight back

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Redhead? Why not Sheena, Queen of the Jungle? Mmmm, Tanya Roberts as a blonde... RIP, though. :'(

4. demonwarcat

ABC Warriors forever

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
      Coat

Should have called it......

Fied0209.

5. iron Silver badge

PAWS on the MOON!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yup, that fits

Our tax dollars hard at work at the US Space Force. I suspect they have more people to program and watch their fleet of doggie drones then they would have had guards to walk the patrol routes. But what could be more space force? I mean everyone else in the branch is a full time desk jockey, the guards might sue for unfair treatment.

Now if the things had a mop and a toilet brush attachment, I'd give them a free pass. That and I'd be more afraid of that brush any 5.56 or 7.62.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Yup, that fits

You just know the team that proposed this waited till they were out of sight then did a happy dance, high fiving each other, "yay we got robot doggies!"

7. druck Silver badge

Hog tie

They might be able to self right, but I'm pretty sure you could knock it on to its back and hog tie it with some jumbo cable ties, it would be out of the game.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hog tie

So, to prevent these types of abuses, we really need some sort of monitoring system, possibly even satellite based since this is Space Force, to watch over all of the various robots world-wide that are in service and send reinforcements when needed. Kind of like a big safety net in the sky for our robot servants... A sky net, if you will.

8. This is my handle

It's about time

I've been waiting for them to move "Snow Crash" to the non-fiction section of the library.

9. Howard Sway Silver badge

"Ultimately, our robot is made to keep our warfighters, workers and K9s out of harm's way"

K9 was a robot dog you ignorant oaf.

1. Martin-73 Silver badge

Re: "Ultimately, our robot is made to keep our warfighters, workers and K9s out of harm's way"

Not sure why the 2 downvotes, it's because they find Canine hard to spell.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Holmes

Re: "Ultimately, our robot is made to keep our warfighters, workers and K9s out of harm's way"

It's because there's been a K9 corps in the US Military since WWII.

Also because the Space Force is clearly not composed of Whovians but, rather, Trekkers.

1. Martin-73 Silver badge
          Pint

The 2 are not mutually exclusive, Live long and Exterminate :)

10. Someone Else Silver badge

Patrolling quadrupeds not fitted with 7.62mm tank machine guns – yet

Frickin' lasers!

11. John 104

Not exactly sneaky, are they?

1. claimed Bronze badge

Wright brothers + ~50 years = Spitfire.

Spitfire + ~30 years = Stealth bomber.

Give it a minute... I don't think it'll take 100 years to stealth these bad boys

1. Kane
        Boffin

"Give it a minute... I don't think it'll take 100 years to stealth these bad boys"

Slap a coat of vantablack on it, strap some padded socks on its feetsies, good to go!

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Reminds me of Deus Ex game

Can just see agent waiting for robot to go past on patrol before sneaking through perimeter fence.

:-/

13. Jan K.

If the black one comes with two big red lights in the head, I'm in!!

14. Kev99 Silver badge

Hello, SkyNet. By the way. The Army used geese to patrol the perimeter of its bases in Germany. They are extremely territorial, their bite hurts like hell, and make and awful racket that will wake the dead. Or Beetle Bailey.

1. Jan K.

The geese's problem is,that he's so damned delicious!

Surrounded by non-friends, they are extremely aware of _everything_ in their surroundings. Anything not-usual will immidiatly and very loudly be reported!

Love geese! They do some amazing journeys, btw.

1. Eclectic Man Silver badge
        Joke

Guard birds

Forget geese, you want guard emus:

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/weird-news/fleeing-driver-attacked-angry-emu-27582489

No one can outrun an angry emu.

Although one of the reasons British stately homes often had peacocks in the grounds was that they make an incredible racket when disturbed too.

As for the robodogs, they do not seem to be all that good at cornering (yet).

Might well be time to invest in some of these, just in case: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantrap_(snare) .

15. Winkypop Silver badge
    Terminator

Easily defeated or distracted

Robot cats,

16. Potemkine! Silver badge

Will they be hackable?

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How about an army of Benders screaming "Bite my shiny metal ass" as they patrol.

The only downside being you could probably bribe them to keep quiet with cigars and beer.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like