back to article Midwest universities unite to support US chip industry revival

A dozen US midwestern research colleges and universities have signed up to a project intended to bolster the semiconductor and microelectronics industries with combined research and education to ensure work for their students in high-tech industries. The "Midwest Regional Network to Address National Needs in Semiconductor and …

1. This is my handle

Great idea and long overdue...

... but as an Illinoisan all I can think to say is, "What are we, chopped liver?"

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: Great idea and long overdue...

This has the potential to be excellent for both students and industry, let's return to the days of actually getting things done ourselves instead of buying solutions on Amazon or other sources. This means that we can develop the stuff we actually need ourselves instead of just searching the internet to find it in some foreign country which has taken us into today's issues.

Lets work with, and educate, our own people to get our needs sorted out!!!!

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Great idea and long overdue...

Other university alliances in that part of the country, such as the CIC, have had some success in achieving their stated goals. There's actually a fair bit of academic cooperation among the research universities in the Midwest (as there is elsewhere), public rivalries notwithstanding.

It's good to see the community colleges included in this one, since they're an important pipeline for advanced undergraduates and graduate students, particularly non-traditional undergrads (i.e. ones not coming directly out of high school) and under-represented populations.

2. Adrian 4

"The intention is that the institutions taking part will be able to make use of each other's existing research, learning programs, .. .

So it's a goverment-funded sharing system. Isn't that un-American or something ?

3. Scene it all

OSU

That is Ohio State University in the picture. It looks like they cleaned it up since I was there, or else Photoshopped it.

4. Lordrobot

Every been to OHIO?

What is INTEL thinking... Reliving the smoke stack high life of the 1950's. These schools are not in this for free... They are sucking money out of the taxpayers for this giant scam.

So in Five years the US will have what....... 30 FAB plants? Do you have any idea how they are going to survive in a labour-intensive, capital-intensive, low-margin business like FAB where they can't sell any of their chips which are all under Gov Sanctions?

Do you think China and Korea will be out of business in five years? China has 7nm now. The US has NO 7nm now. What about Sad Europe... Oh But but but Intel is building another FAB Plant in Italy. BTY the Intel facility will be INTEL's largest facility.

Sen. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) declared in November 2008: “A business model based on gas — a gas-guzzling past — is unacceptable. We need a business model based on cars of the future, and we already know what that future is: the plug-in hybrid electric car.” [Please read that AGAIN!]

Here is some Headline Euphoria:

Intel Will Transform Ohio Into A Semiconductor Chip Epicenter

The CHIPS Act Could Kick Off A Comeback For Factory Towns [Jysus the Rust Belt resurrection in Born Again OHIO!]

Steve Chabot: Passage of CHIPS Act important to Ohio

This unprecedented investment will help make Ohio a global hub for semiconductor manufacturing.

At the new Intel factory complex in Ohio, the average salary will be $135,000 [gotta love this one!]

Intel Will Transform Ohio Into A Semiconductor Chip Epicenter

I haven't been as excited about this since the CEO of Union Carbide went into the disposable diaper business with ... drum roll "DRYDEES!"

Does anybody but me sense a certain pathetic ring over all this nuttiness? Or do you think this is just GREEEEEATTTTT.... like the Texas Supercollider or Obama's never build battery factories or the claim by OBAMA that the US would lead the world in Photovoltaics? That was another desperate attempt to beat "ChinER." How did that work out? Um China, CHINER, controls 95% of the global PV market. Worked like a dream for China.

One more question... What fabless company is going to send its chip designs to INTEL for Fabrication? Have you wondered why TSCM is successful? They only do FAB. They are not competitors. I will ask you again in OHIO.... Who is going to bring their fabless designs to INTEL for Fabrication? NOBODY THAT's WHO!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like