back to article Burger King just sent spam receipts to customers

Burger King has just served spam to many of its customers, who have complained they received an emailed receipt to advise them of a non-existent order for no food. The tweet below is a typical example the receipt and the reaction. Why did Burger King send me this blank receipt whilst i was sleeping at 5am? & i haven't been …

1. Korev Silver badge
    Coat

Our team has grilled Burger King about the situation to learn how the spam came to be served and, critically, if a security compromise was the cause.

A Whopper of a pun Mr Sharwood

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

They're frittering away their money on this spam.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. MiguelC Silver badge

Re: Romaine calm

They might need to beef up security

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge

It's been scheduled for Friesday.

1. Alistair Dabbs

Until then, they're in a bit of a pickle.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Seems more like a lack dillagence rather than a surf'n'turfeit

2. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Richard Pennington 1
      Flame

Getting grilled ...

They're getting flamed for this

2. tellytart

I received around 3 or 4 of these. All to an e-mail address I only used for BK.

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Do you pay by credit card? Have you tried checking for unexpected payments?

1. tellytart

Nothing unexpected. I only ever used Apple Pay within the app, so no stored payment card details.

3. Anonymous IV
    Unhappy

The BK email contains no link to opt out of marketing communications, or even just all communications...

1. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
      Boffin

It's not marketing

Thing is, this looks like the ordering system has gone rogue and sent out a receipt for a null order. So this email template is the one you would receive if you had placed an order, so an "unsubscribe" link would make no sense.

Cock-up rather than conspiracy, I'm going to bet. But then, it normally is.

GJC

1. VicMortimer Silver badge
        Alert

Re: It's not marketing

On the contrary, an option to unsubscribe would make perfect sense if, like many of us, you don't want to be spammed every time you order fast food.

The only time I want a receipt is if I'm going to be writing off a meal on my taxes. Given that I can only do that for business-related meals and the chances of fast food being a business-related meal are close to nil, I essentially never need or want a receipt for fast food.

Walking into a shop and putting a bar of chocolate in you pocket is not technically shoplifting until you leave without paying. (Do not try this. Do you really want to hope a magistrate will believe "I was just testing" when you are asking for bail?)

I would not feel comfortable leaving a shop without a physical "get out of jail free" card.

1. Dave314159ggggdffsdds Silver badge

Re shoplifting, the police aren't stupid and won't arrest you if the shopkeeper stopped you before you tried to leave, precisely because there's no chance of a conviction.

So you'd be safe to try it, but the shop will probably ban you anyway.

2. W4YBO

"I would not feel comfortable leaving a shop without a physical "get out of jail free" card."

Same for "Pay at the pump" gas (petrol) receipts. A state trooper will probably haul you in for questioning if the convenience store clerk (who's been on duty for 12 hours) misidentifies yours as the vehicle that drove off without paying.

2. Geoff Campbell Silver badge

You don't want a confirmation that your order has safely reached the system for processing? Well, OK, but I would contend that this is a minority view.

GJC

3. ThatOne Silver badge
          Facepalm

> you don't want to be spammed every time you order fast food

What about not giving them your email address to start with?

They definitely do not need an email address, even if you order online, it's not like you will download the food er, uh, whatever you order there, the person making the delivery can easily bring you a paper receipt, the old-fashioned way.

If they ask for an email address it's just to spam you, so don't complain if they do...

1. cosmodrome

But it is important that you give them your eMail. For improving their products and service. And for "business partners", "research" and your safety.

4. Cynical Pie

Given it isn't a marketing email there is no requirement for them to provide an unsubscribe link anyway.

Its a service email that in some countries they are obliged by law to provide so whether or not you want it is largely irrelevant.

Certainly in Italy companies were legally required to provide a receipt and I am not aware this has changed.

2. rototype

A wise man once said 'Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by incompetence'

4. Corp-Rat
    Flame

me too

I too received one of these dodgy missives. icon for a flame grilled whopper of a cook up

5. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Holmes

I'm old fashioned

I don't order food online, and I don't distribute my email to random retailers.

1. VicMortimer Silver badge

Re: I'm old fashioned

I use a custom email address for each different random retailer, that way I can know (and destroy the email address) if they ever leak it.

Ordering fast food online gives them one less chance to screw up the order. They'll screw it up anyway, of course, but at least it's accurate when it gets to the kitchen, not screwed up because of the crappy drive-thru mic.

(And yes, I got the spam blank receipt today.)

6. jmch Silver badge
    Boffin

Taste test

So did the customers prefer the spam or the whopper?

1. TheRealRoland
      Happy

Re: Taste test

Can we call this 'B/K testing' going forward?

2. chivo243 Silver badge
      Windows

Re: Taste test

I'm guessing neither one! But I'd prefer a Whopper to spam (not the email kind)

7. Howard Sway Silver badge

Why did Burger King send me this blank receipt whilst i was sleeping at 5am?

Because you were stupid enough to give your email address to a company with which the only relation you need to have is to tell them what kind of burger you want, and wait for them to deliver said culinary treat.

It's a common complaint - why is this company "spamming" me, when I gave them my real email address for no fathomably good reason, and agreed to receive this crap via the terms and conditions I agreed to without reading them?

1. Chloe Cresswell Silver badge

Re: Why did Burger King send me this blank receipt whilst i was sleeping at 5am?

I really doubt "you agree that we may send receipts for orders you never placed" is in the terms and conditions of any company.

1. cookieMonster Silver badge
        Joke

Re: Why did Burger King send me this blank receipt whilst i was sleeping at 5am?

Want to bet?

2. VicMortimer Silver badge
      WTF?

Why would I give them a real email address? It's just a quick SSH into my mail server, an edit to the virtuals file, and a 'postmap virtuals' 'postfix reload' to give them a unique one.

3. elaar

If only those "stupid" people did the simple task of setting up a unique random email address for every single bloody website/company they ever contacted, and spent their lives monitoring all addresses incase there's an order update or similar. They would then miss all those emails that you have to click "unsubscribe" on, and the one ever BK blank order receipt, the fools!

I do not spend any extra time monitoring many email addresses. Email is either delivered to the one maildir I actually monitor or it is rejected. The only real effort is some extra concentration when I reply to ensure I remember to fake the correct From address.

4. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Because you were stupid enough to give your email address to a company with which the only relation you need to have is to tell them what kind of burger you want, and wait for them to deliver said culinary treat."

After two+ years of various lockdowns/shelter-at-home orders, many of these takeaway "food" outlets probably have a huge database of home addresses now too as people ordered home deliveries, linked to the email addresses.

8. Cereberus
    Big Brother

I'm surprised this hasn't happened more often

I always get a weird look when I buy something in a shop these days and say no to giving my email address so they can send me a copy of my receipt. It's as if I should be ashamed to be perfectly happy with a good old fashioned paper one.

I even had an argument at one shop when I was returning an order (click and collect return) for my wife and was told I couldn't get a paper receipt, it had to be emailed and it was only resolved when another shop assistant came over whom I'd dealt with a couple of weeks earlier who calmly picked up the scanner and printed out a receipt for me.

There should be no pressure when making a purchase in a shop to give them more info that they can use to profile people, beyond what I choose to give or not give them.

1. DML71

Re: I'm surprised this hasn't happened more often

An email receipt has saved me a couple of times. Once when making use of john lewis' 2 year warranty on a tablet.

M&S food give the option on email receipt which i prefer to a stream of paper i'm only going to bin.

Last time I checked neither company were spamming me or selling off my data.

1. Cereberus

But that's the point - give you a choice by all means, but don't assume there is something wrong with you for picking one option over another.

As for spamming not all companies have the same high regard(?) for their customers as John Lewis and M&S and how would you know what they will do with your details prior to them doing it? Are seriously going to ask for, read and digest the terms and conditions in a shop before deciding whether to hand over your email address?

2. UCAP Silver badge

Last time I checked neither company were ... selling off my data

That you are aware of!

2. aerogems Silver badge

The problem with this is the way most receipts are printed these days. They will tend to fade after only a couple days and if you need to prove you bought something 6+ months later, good luck reading those receipts.

This is why I have multiple email accounts. One of them is my primary, another is specifically for places I figure will spam the crap out of me, but also will occasionally have something I want (like an emailed receipt).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Not forgetting those receipts tend to be printed on thermal paper which is NOT recyclable

(to really make them fade, try sticking sellotape across that vital barcode)

1. JimboSmith Silver badge

Alcohol gel is another killer and works instantly.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Maplin used this tactic for years for any purchase no matter how small. Firstly demanded your snailmail address - then they progressed to wanting your email address.

4. Giles C Silver badge

Halfords look at you very strange when I tell them I’m not giving them an email address, so do Argos.

One web site I went to wanted an email address before I could read the pages so it got a spam one from my domain.

The problem is a lot of people only have a single address, so they don’t have that option, and they are stupid enough to hand it over to anyone.

Mind you I don’t like communicating with people and tend to keep thing private as much as possible

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Halfords look at you very strange when I tell them I’m not giving them an email address, so do Argos."

They do that to me too. But since I have my own domain, anything@mydomain.com goes to postmaster@ so when asked, I give them businessname@mydomain.com and most look at me oddly, some even asking how come I have one of their email addresses, even sales people in supposedly IT related businesses can't seem to understand how that works.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My email address?

OK, what’s your personal phone number?

10. sweh
    Facepalm

"I don't always test my code, but when I do I test it in production"

1. ThatOne Silver badge
      Devil

Come on, Microsoft does it, why wouldn't Burger King.

11. irrelevant

Multiple..

I got three..

On the plus side, now I know all the emails I registered in their app! (it was purely to access the offers.)

Is handy to have several accounts on these things, to get around the "only one offer per day/visit" limits. Although, for BK UK the code for a cheap whopper meal (APP35) hasn't changed in years, and I sometimes don't even bother loading the app when ordering via the drive through - they've never asked to see it! (Though I'm not sure if anything has changed the with new loyalty scheme they launched a couple of weeks ago.)

12. Richard Tobin

You gave them your email address when you bought a burger?

What did you expect?

Re: You gave them your email address when you bought a burger?

That is not what is going on here. Try again.

GJC

13. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
    Pint

I/We should each set up a domain, with a catchall address for email receipts & spam, then for every retailer give them a "custom" one that's caught by the catchall & something detrimental or negative to the retailer concerned & instantly proves if our details have been passed onto a third party....err valued partners & service providers.

dysentery_inabun@domainname.com

14. Ian 55

The bigger problem with the app..

.. is that it simply doesn't work at many Burger King outlets.

Plenty of them in Central London, for example, but the nearest one where you can actually order via the app is Queensway. Zone 1, but the western edge of it. Marylebone is an alternative.. except that as a train station site, none of the special offers are available.

I was in another city recently. Great, the centre's store does allow me to use the app - but not at the moment, thanks to some issue or other.

I presume that it's down to the franchise model and plenty of owners simply don't want to take orders over the app for some reason (BK takes a bigger cut?? The cost of the IT??) but I understand that Mcdonalds' app actually works...

1. rototype

Re: The bigger problem with the app..

The Macdonalds app might actually work but I'm not putting it on my phone regardless of what bonusses or points cashback offers it gives you. I did look at doing this once (there's one just around the corner from work and it'd save me 5-10 minutes standing in line with the rest of the denizens), but then I looked at exactly what it wants to access on my phone (pretty much everythuing) and decided very much against it. There's no reason for it needing access to my address book or photos, and that's just the start.

Boffin

Re: The bigger problem with the app..

I have the App in front of me now. It does not have permissions to the address book.

I use it because it makes life very easy, and I get free coffee. I can walk in, sit at a table, order, and have the food brought to me. Saves all that tedious queuing and waving credit cards around.

GJC

15. Cliffwilliams44 Silver badge

New Menu

This was just a marketing campaign for their new menu.

Egg and Spam

Egg, bacon and Spam

Egg, bacon, sausage and Spam

Spam, bacon, sausage and Spam

Spam, egg, Spam, Spam, bacon and Spam

Spam, Spam, Spam, egg and Spam

Spam, sausage, Spam, Spam, Spam, bacon, Spam, tomato and Spam

Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, baked beans, Spam, Spam, Spam and Spam

Lobster Thermidor aux crevettes with a Mornay sauce, garnished with truffle pâté, brandy and a fried egg on top, and Spam.

1. hayzoos

Re: New Menu

Is there any thing on the menu that does not come with spam?

16. arachnoid2
    Holmes

the result of an internal processing error.

So an extra serving of spam then ( weather you want it or not).

BTW Do vegans get spam too?

Childcatcher

Re: the result of an internal processing error.

Might as well, there's bugger all meat in it.

GJC

17. Auntie Dix
    Megaphone

Fast Food?

If your Burger King is truly so excruciatingly slow that you cope by ordering ahead via fondle-phone, you should eat elsewhere.

And for the narcissists:

● You are not really royalty, even though someone gave you a cardboard crown.

● You can wait for your order, because no one who is truly important eats at BK.

● Your use of the app makes you look like a chode. Someone should have slapped you, years ago.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like