back to article California accuses Tesla of false advertising over Autopilot

The California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) last month filed two complaints against Tesla alleging that the car marker violated state law by misrepresenting that its vehicles can drive autonomously. The complaints [1, 2] [PDF] were filed with the Golden State' Office of Administrative Hearings (OAH) and allege that the …

1. M.V. Lipvig Silver badge

Huge surprise

Autopilot turns itself off less than a second before the wreck, Tesla says, "Not us!"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Huge surprise

'Tesla says, "Not us!"'

Hopefully everyone else says, 'Yes you'.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sounds like a much shorter time than it is.

1 second at highway speeds is around 100 feet. Close your eyes for a full second on the road an you could kill someone, likely yourself. If I have a full second to spot a road hazard I can avoid it, most of the time. I still have a few aches and scars from the rest.

What I can say is that the statistic as quoted is meaningless, and delivered in a intentionally misleading way. Blending all those kick outs without context means we lose sight of the real problem cases, where the car SHOULD have either been able to react to the situation or SHOULD have spotted something and warned the driver sooner. Instead they want to hide all the cases where the threat didn't appear until the last moment, leaving no time for a human or robotic driver to react, in with the legit screw ups like ramming an abutment or their ongoing war on emergency and repair vehicles. That's a transparent play to pump up numbers that may not be nearly bad enough to justify restrictions on the technology.

While I expect their suit may succeed on other arguments, Tesla's engineers will slap that one down in court. They will have a much harder time with the misleading claims they made, the ones they failed to correct, and the failure to deliver on the promises they made to customers who's money they had already created.

1. Mike 137 Silver badge

Re: Sounds like a much shorter time than it is.

" If I have a full second to spot a road hazard I can avoid it, most of the time."

Really exceptional.

The generally accepted mean (end to end) driver reaction time is about 1.5 seconds, assuming that the driver is already mentally engaged in the task of driving. However, in the Level 2 scenario the driver is specifically not engaged with the task of driving as it has been delegated to the automaton. Consequently, the automaton handing over one second before impact is always much too late except as a weasel manoeuvre on the part of the vendor to avoid liability.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Less than 1 sec is not 1 sec . Lets give Tesla the benefit of the doubt and say 0.75 secs av.

Reaction time is 0.25 secs

Unfortunately you have to rotate the wheel a long way to avoid anything , say 100ms

Lets say you instantly turn the car 10 degrees. At 20m/s you will move sideways 3.5m/s. In 0.75-0.25-0.2 secs you have moved sideways 1.4m.

Good news: Only your passenger and the fireman standing behind the fire truck dies. Unless your door handles stay locked in and you burn to death too.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Let's give Tesla the benefit of the doubt

I have. I have always doubted Tesla.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

All that text just to say "I think Elon is the best person ever".

And anonymously, almost like you're ashamed of it.

2. jvf

Finally

Glad to see the CA DMV pointing out that the emperor has no clothes. Hopefully more states wake up and join the bandwagon. Autopilot-what BS.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Finally

So all they have to do is out a sticker on the car saying "this vehicle causes crashes in the state of Ca" and they're good

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Glad to see the CA DMV pointing out that the emperor has no clothes

FFS, now I have this visual of a naked Musk in my head. Thanks a bunch.

:)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You, and all of his friends wives...

3. Grunchy Silver badge

Man, this was predicted day one

A self-driving car is nothing but a robot following a set of instructions. Ideally all such robots are roped off so that nobody gets within their operating envelope, where the robot is liable to suddenly (and unpredictably) murder any hapless living thing within reach. That’s the way all other robots are operated — for darn good reason.

Oh well, Musk got to enjoy murdering a certain number of Tesla customers. That’s an important “take-away” from this unfortunate spectacle!

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Man, this was predicted day one

People driving RVs have gone to the bathroom while cruise control was on = people are idiots

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

'People driving RVs have gone to the bathroom while cruise control was on = people are idiots'

I don't doubt that's true, but a link to a source would be nice.

But I agree, people are in general idiots, myself included.

However, one (or more) incident(s) of personal stupidity is not the same as corporate irresponsibility.

Tesla know what they are peddling, and they know people will die as a result of their lies.

1. Diogenes

Not the toilet but make a cuppa good enough for you ?

Pleading guilty to careless and reckless driving, Spencer Smith, a retired librarian, stunned magistrates by saying she had been confused by what cruise control actually meant.

“I thought it was like an autopilot that you get on airplanes,” she said.

“I turned it on at what I thought was a sensible 40mph, then stepped away from the driver seat into the back of the motorhome to make a cup of tea.

“I presumed that cruise control worked with the sat nav to negotiate the roads safely. Imagine my surprise when no sooner had I flicked the switch on the kettle that we hit a tree at 40mph. Luckily I was unhurt because I was thrown on to the sofa.

https://www.suffolkgazette.com/motorhome-crash/

1. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

You know Suffolk Gazette is satire, right?

2. KBeee

Ahhhh the Suffolk Gazette.

With other headlines like "Undercover squirrel breaks into B&Q", and "Aircraft carrier converted to Lowestoft International airport"

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Do you still get to claim the bonus points for killing motorcyclists when "the 'bot dun it guvnor"?

1. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

Double points.

4. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Obvious Musk response

Demand that California DMV debates him on Twitter about the number of 'bots at Tesla.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Self driving cars

…and other myths.

1. Blank Reg

Re: Self driving cars

if we ever get to the point that I can sit in the back seat and take a nap while the vehicle safely takes me to my destination then it will be fully self driving. Until then it's all a lie

1. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

SAE level 4 and 5 vehicles can do that, and we're already there at prototype stage. There are a number of Ford Mondeos driving around Oxford that are Level 4 - completely autonomous.

1. Alumoi Silver badge

Right, driving on a specified and well mapped road. Wake me up when those so called autonomous cars can safely navigate on unknown roads.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

There are a number of Ford Mondeos driving around Oxford that are Level 4 - completely autonomous.

.. but enough about Oxford driving styles..

2. Mike 137 Silver badge

"Until then it's all a lie"

or a taxi.

6. Zippy´s Sausage Factory
    Devil

And there was me wondering why Musk moved their HQ to Texas. Now it's obvious - he's hoping for some of that big-business-can-do-no-wrong attitude so beloved by the Texan governor.

1. VicMortimer Silver badge

Pretty sure that wasn't a secret. He got all kinds of pissy about California not letting him infect workers with COVID-19 back in 2020.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

To be fair, it doesn't take much to get him all kinds of pissy, though.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like