back to article Google sues Sonos yet again, claiming it stole IP and infringed patents

Google hit Sonos with two lawsuits on Monday, claiming patent infringement on seven different technologies associated with smart speakers, as part of its ongoing battle with the audio hardware biz over intellectual property. Both companies previously collaborated on building software to support audio devices, but their …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Another one they copied from Microsoft?

It seems Google has turned to the next chapter in the book "how to be like Microsoft", titled "how to acquire IP without paying for it". Only Stac Electronics made a dent in that one, and it still went the way of the dodo after that.

At least they no longer pretend not to be evil.

1. James Anderson

Re: Another one they copied from Microsoft?

Actually Sonos is the one with a history of patent trolling.

Any company making wireless speakers has to pay them royalties even though the basic technology was developed by the now defunct Squeezebox/slim devices.

1. teknopaul

My heart bleeds for sonos. The main patent they stole off Google was the idea to brick perfectly decent audio amps after a couple of years.

I hope they continue to be considered evil for that number.

It's a shame these greedy corps can't agree to support a single media transfer format over Ethernet/wifi.

A curse on both their houses

2. Julian 8 Silver badge

Indeed, I wonder if Logitech realise that they have/had after biuing and then killing Squeezebox and go after Sonos for the same IP infringment

2. v13

Software patents are evil. Software patents should not exist.

The non retaliation patent approach that's enclosed in some opensource licenses is what Google was relying on here. It's the only approach that can protect opensource projects and companies. Sonos probably uses other's patents, yet sues for patent infringing. I hope that this will make them rethink their operating model and stick to making good speakers instead of being a patent troll.

2. UCAP Silver badge

Pot of Petunias moment

Oh no, here we go again.

With apologies to the late, great Douglas Adams

3. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

"Rather than compete on the basis of innovation and product quality..."

I couldn't even finish reading that Google quote. I was temporarily blinded by shards of exploding BS detector.

4. Warm Braw

Sonos' chief legal officer, Eddie Lazarus...

... sounds like he might deserve a raise.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Sonos' chief legal officer, Eddie Lazarus...

... or programming in Pascal

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I hope Google crushes them

I can't help feeling a large amount of schadenfreude at the prospect of Sonos being amply rewarded for their arrogance.

Although they eventually backed down on bricking perfectly functional kit, the fact that they even proposed it in the first place says a lot about what kind of company they are. As does their current strategy of risking all their shareholders' money on patent wars against Google. If they lose, customers might once again be in the position of having their investment in Sonos products turned into e-waste when Sonos goes bust and the servers essential to operating their products go offline.

Imagine if they turned their money and efforts towards making their products work better, work offline and stopped collecting buckets of personal data from their users...but I don't see it happening.

1. sabroni Silver badge
      Meh

Re: the servers essential to operating their products go offline.

You bought an audio system for your house that relies on an external, 3rd party server?

Chances are you'll get what you deserve.

1. MrBanana

My audio system relies on a lot of large, black circles of PVC. Inconvenient when you want to move house, but I can listen to Neil Young whenever I want.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: but I can listen to Neil Young whenever I want

so you have a 'Heart of Gold'...

TBH, I'm with you in this. We are relying far too much on a Network Connection being available 24/7 for all these widgets to phone home. If they can't, they get decidedly irritable like some teenager who can't get on their favourite SM site for an hour.

To me, SM was the last part of BDSM but what do I know eh?

1. a pressbutton

so you have a 'Heart of Gold'...

I think that is highly, highly improbable...

1. Headley_Grange Silver badge

You think his put his heart in cryptocurrency?

2. Evil Scot

I thought the whole raison detre was to be serverless. Hence the 640k limit.

2. Coastal cutie
      Facepalm

Re: I hope Google crushes them

This is like the Wagatha or Hamilton-Al Fayed libel cases - you're sorry that one side has to win

6. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Is it too much to hope that the cases end with all the patents on both sides being invalidated.

7. ICL1900-G3

Jesus wept

There are actually real problems in the world right now. As Ian Hislop once said, this is a court case I hope they both lose.

8. keithpeter Silver badge
    Windows

Castañeda

The Google spokesentity has a name to conjure with.

Things increasingly feel as if I'm inside some sort of Hunter S Thompson book.

(Child of late 60s early 70s)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Castañeda

“In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity.”

H.S. Thompson.

So many quotes to choose from.

9. that one in the corner Silver badge

Always impressed by the cleverness of these patented technologies

Wireless music played in more than one room! Amazing, completely unlike me and the missus, each with our own tranny.

Oh, it is all about us both receiving the same music and we choose what that will be? So, totally unlike the (rather illegal but boys will be boys) FM transmitter bought from Tandy and plugged into a cassette deck back in the 70s? Okay, that wasn't shared with missus back then and it went a bit further than the next room - hey, wireless sharing with next door, that is surely good enough for its own patent!

1. Stork Silver badge

Re: Always impressed by the cleverness of these patented technologies

I think B&O had kit that could do that 30 years ago (just checked, Beolink came out in 82. I am getting old).

10. a pressbutton

Cognitive dissonance

On Sonos speakers self-bricking, there is an essential mental conflict.

I pay for a tidal sub and a mobile phone connection and netflix, if I stop paying, those services stop.

This is not a surprise or an issue to me.

My next door neighbour has 5 Sonos speakers scattered in his house, they are good. He has spent time and energy installing them etc, if they self brick, ever, he will be livid.

This "buying something, but it is not yours" is universally hated (printer ink) but people keep on trying (I understand BMW is selling 'features' for its car on a subscription in Korea)

IMO we need rules (laws) that make corporates fit their sales channels to human expectations and understandings.

1. that one in the corner Silver badge

Re: Cognitive dissonance

> we need rules (laws) that make corporates fit their sales channels to human expectations and understandings

Back in the Good Old Days we used the concepts of Fit for Purpose and hence Fit for Sale, with accommodation for a reasonable lifetime of use.

Easy enough for fork handles and broom heads, but seemingly ignored by *all* parties to the sale when buying the shiny shiny.

Now, if we could get the buying public to read the side of the box before purchasing and then demanding a contractually enforceable Service Level Agreement then you'll find that we already have laws that can be applied for consumer protection.

But sure, demand new laws before exhausting the existing ones - won't anyone think of the poor starving politicians and the deeply impoverished legislature!

1. MrBanana

Reading the side of the box

If they did, it would probably vaguely mention "needs internet connection". Not "requires a 24hr internet connection, sign up to a user account with a 24 page EULA, a service that can be switched off when we run out of gullible users to fund the business, spaff your personal details to random marketing departments and/or have it stolen because our security is so shit". But knowing the idiots who buy these things, they probably wouldn't care anyway.

I only have to deal with warnings such as "This stereophonic recording may be played on mono players if a compatible cartridge is fitted. Please consult your dealer".

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Back in the day you paid your 'Netflix/Now!/Prime/Sky' subscription to DER/Radio Rental/Granada/Rumblelows, got 3 channels and no catch-up service!

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

fork handles

Totally off-topic, but 18 year-old is working the summer at a local outdoor museum which has a collection of old buildings. Did a stint in the general shop a couple of weeks ago and had four separate people try the "four candles" joke, each time with a comment along the lines of "I suppose you're too young to have heard this but..."

Gets most annoyed that people always have the same questions, and they're often the ones which are least interesting to answer. "These are Celtic roundhouses, no, they weren't the same as the Vikings..."

11. jollyboyspecial

All this patent bullshit has gone far too far now.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that most of these patents on both sides are invalid. It seems to be the standard to grant patents and then wonder whether they are valid later. The patent system hasn't been used for the purpose it was originally intended for decades. The only solution to this is to change the system so that patent offices have the power to fine companies for filing patents that are found to be invalid. Of course there are those that argue is that patents applications are filed in such great numbers these days that the world's patent offices don't have time to properly check them, but surely the real problem there is funding. If patent offices could afford to employ more staff then they could keep up. How to find the funding to employ more staff. Fines that's how.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There anything actually innovative in these patents? Or is it just 'listening to music.. but over the Internet!'

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I think the problem is that they wanted to be clever and add 'OK Google' to 'listening to music.. but over the Internet[or wi-fi]!"

If they had just stuck to streaming they probably wouldn't have found out that 'ole "don't be evil" was both evil and vindictive

13. guud

A better, more germane headline!

Google sues Sonos yet again, claiming it stole IP and infringed patents, but not anywhere near the total rip-off that we did - and continue to do - to Netlist; apparently with the court's blessing having Judge Seeborg in our back pocket.

14. J. Cook Silver badge
    Trollface

The only real winners on this are the lawyers- they'll get paid regardless of which side wins.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like