back to article Atari Video Computer System returns in Lego form

Lego has followed up its Nintendo Entertainment System retro throwback with one celebrating the Atari Video Computer System (VCS). The set, retailing at a heart-stopping $239.99 (£209.99 in the UK), is a non-functional replica of the iconic game console, although only the model with four switches rather than the six of others …

1. David Nash Silver badge

£209?

For that price they could have included an RPi emulator and have something that actually worked!

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Evil Auditor Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: £209?

I saw the price and then my brain refused to process non-functioning. So for a little while I tried to figure out how this bricked bricks work.

1. Hans 1
        Joke

Re: £209?

It is bricked, what would you expect ?

2. DJV Silver badge

As it doesn't actually work then...

...does this mean it's been bricked?

3. JDPower666

Could the Reg not afford a photo?

4. Jamesit

"In fact, compared to the cheaper Nintendo Entertainment System set (with all its twiddly technic bits and separate television), we'd have to describe the VCS set as a bit of a disappointment if it weren't for the nostalgia factor."

In Canada the NES is $349 and the VCS is $299, I wonder how much a working Lego one would be?

5. Wally Dug
    Thumb Up

Impressive

I actually saw this in the LEGO shop in Glasgow at the weekend and it is very impressive. But... as everyone says, it doesn't actually do anything.

(Never even touched a VCS, never mind owned one, but I still fancy the set from a geek/techie point of view.)

6. David 132 Silver badge
    Thumb Up

I had a VCS back in the 80s.

I had a VCS, although I can't remember how many switches were on it. On/Off, Black&White/Colour, and I can't remember any more than that!

But I agree completely with the author's comments about Combat. Finest game suite ever devised for total subjugation of one's younger brother. Whether at the Tanks or the Biplanes sub-games, I humiliated him in a manner that can only be described as "total pwnage", as I believe the hep young cats say these days.

How could something with a resolution of about 20x15 and a palette of migraine-inducing hues that made the ZX Spectrum look like 4K HDR, be so much fun?

7. Potemkine! Silver badge
    Happy

The magic is still working

My 8 year old son discovered the VCS of my young age taking dust in the attic. We reconnected it on the TV set and tada! It worked again. My son loves Combat, he's discovering Asteroid, before looking at Pac Man and Yar's revenge... 40 years later, games in 16 colors and 8 bits sounds (at best!) are still attractive, and produce still the same joy and fun to play with.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The magic is still working

I have one too, and really ought to dig it out for my 7-year-old's, ah, education.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like