back to article Scientist shares spicy pic of 'James Webb' discovery

A French scientist's spicy tweet fooled the internet into believing a slice of chorizo was a detailed picture of a star captured by the James Webb Space Telescope.  Etienne Klein, research director at France's Alternative Energies and Atomic Energy Commission, tweeted a photo on July 31st he claimed to be of Proxima Centauri, …

1. IGotOut Silver badge

Brilliant...

The usual complainers will be the ones who fell for it and lack any sense of humour.

1. MiguelC Silver badge
      Pint

Re: Brilliant...

Brilliant and tasty.

Have a caña to go along, and I'll have the same!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Brilliant...

Sure, but how in any way is this worth writing about? Rick St. Rick wrote that he sold 4 cars but, it was actually 3 cars and a truck!!!

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

He needs a better calendar.

1. Paul Herber Silver badge

I find a colander works better in the kitchen.

3. Mark 85

Ah..boffin humor at its finest. It's great to see that the white coat brigade has a sense of humor and like a laugh like the rest of us.

1. EVP

Absolutely at its finest! This kind of stuff not only gives good laughs, but long warm chuckles too.

Where can I downvote your downvoter?

4. Version 1.0 Silver badge
    Joke

How about a Blue Sun?

I still wear my Blue Sun t-shirt in the summer, I bought it after watching FireFly, a series that I loved. And the back of my car has a Red Sticker that says, "If this sticker is Blue then you are driving too fast!"

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Pint

Re: How about a Blue Sun?

And the back of my car has a Red Sticker that says, "If this sticker is Blue then you are driving too fast!"

Have one of these ------------------>

I'll have to make me one of those stickers :-)

5. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

I'm glad it's a chorizo, and not the insides of someone's vein.

1. bpfh
      Joke

Chorizo

That scientist made a vain attempt in hamming it up, I don’t think he expected the Twitterverse to pig out and turn it into a saussage party.

1. Korev Silver badge
        Coat

Re: Chorizo

You took all the puns, you swine

1. Trigonoceps occipitalis

Well, someone had to trotter them all out.

2. The Unexpected Bill
          Happy

You sound as though you have a beef with that!

6. adam 40 Silver badge
    FAIL

BRING BACK PARIS

Paris because she likes sausage.... what , wait? Hang on a goddam minute!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Aliens!

Clearly the picture WAS from the JWST but the government hushed it up to cover up the fact that ancient aliens from Proxima Centauri brought chorizo technology to Iberia. Scientists are attempting to replicate the alien chorizo drive by deciphering cave paintings.

8. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Alert

Black Hole

Wait till a boffin from an Irish educational establishment publishes a picture of a Black HoleClonakilty Black Pudding

1. EVP
      Coat

Re: Black Hole

Next, full moon and black hole aligning…

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
        Thumb Up

Re: Black Hole

I see UCC offer an Astrophysics course...

https://www.ucc.ie/en/ck408/astrophysics/

9. Kev99 Silver badge

Too many people have the sense of humor of an old undertaker. Maybe it's time for these morphean rubes to dig up a sense of humor.

1. Ian Johnston Silver badge

They have a sense of humour, but they have an even stronger desire to be outraged, or to be perceived as being outraged. Outrage is a form of victimhood and victimhood is the new sanctity.

The new Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells

1. Ian Johnston Silver badge

We live in a world in which Aberdeen University has given a trigger warning to English Literature students that they may encounter black magic, monsters, blood and death in ... Beowulf. Also "ableist" language, because Grendel limps.

No wonder a slice of sausage causes such distress.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Agree. There was no need to apologise. A tweet is not a peer-reviewed scientific publication.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You're right!

It is an acceptable news source for many mainstream newspapers though.

10. TheProf

A link to this would have been appreciated

Klein went on to share a James Webb image of the Chariot Wheel galaxy

(Unless I missed it in the article. In which case I'll book an appointment to see my optician.)

Re: A link to this would have been appreciated

No good. You need a telescope to see it

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nothing there...

The fact is that they're mostly just making pretty pictures that everyone oohs and ahs about to show their scienciness.

Also.. "according to contemporary cosmology, no object belonging to Spanish charcuterie exists anywhere but on Earth."

Surely in an infinite universe there must be Spanish charcuterie somewhere else?

1. runt row raggy

Re: Nothing there...

sadly the universe is not infinite. sadly human stupidity and sanctimony might be. apologies to Einstein for the appropriation.

12. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

This would go well with a slice of moon cheese.

13. Winkypop Silver badge

Ah up Gromit, get the rocket ready lad

A quick stop at the moon for some cheese, then onto the meat star for some tasty snacks!

14. mobailey
    Happy

If anyone moans about this hoax, then the scientist should just tell them tapas off.

-mobailey

15. Potemkine! Silver badge
    Boffin

Etienne Klein is such a brilliant man. His conferences and the chronicles he makes on radio stations are insightful and instructive.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like