back to article Equifax software bug messed up credit score calculations for weeks

US credit agency Equifax says errant computer code led the company to provide inaccurate credit information about US folks to financial institutions for a period of about three weeks earlier this year. "Equifax identified a coding issue within a legacy, on-premise server environment in the US slated to be migrated to the new …

1. MachDiamond Silver badge

Whaaaa?

"The massive hack led Equifax to invest $1.5 billion "to build a top-tier, cloud-native technology and security infrastructure," as the company puts it."

Cloud-native and secure aren't two things I'd put together. There is a huge attack surface with "cloud" things and often a large number of players involved as companies outsource so many things these days. Frankly, I'd feel much more secure if Equifax said they bought a disused mine or three and located their hardware on the lowest levels guarded by lots of reinforced concrete and vault doors to prevent physical attacks and institute strict access control and deployed many of their own data connections so they could better monitor access there as well.

Botching important software and doing deployments without proper testing is universal these days as companies race to the be first with something rather than the best.

1. KittenHuffer Silver badge

Re: Whaaaa?

Would there be a sign involved saying "Beware of the leopard"?

2. JimmyPage Silver badge

I smell

a class action lawsuit.

1. tfewster
      Facepalm

Re: I smell

Damaging someone's reputation by posting false information about them is libel. A class action might prove the precedent, but won't be sufficient compensation for someone who lost their house/car/job over this.

1. Jim Mitchell
        Childcatcher

Class actions almost always settle, no precedent will be set. This was also probably not on purpose, reducing it to negligence rather than malicious.

Either way, this is American, you're getting a coupon for a free Equifax credit report. Which is probably already free.

2. PRR Silver badge
      Thumb Down

> ..class action lawsuit.

Already started.

Meanwhile:

"Florida resident Nydia Jenkins against Equifax alleging she had received a "substantially pricier car loan" (resulting in an additional loan payment of $2,352 more per year) due to Equifax reporting her credit score 130 points off from what it should have been."

130 points is WAY off. (Mine varied less than 20 points over a bad year.) $2.3k/year, $196/month extra payment is brutal in this market.

3. heyrick Silver badge

Another reason

It should be enshrined in law that you have the right to challenge automatic computer-made decisions, and have the right to access all of the information used to arrive at said decision.

1. Herring`

Re: Another reason

Well it is here in the UK. But for how long, I wouldn't like to guess.

4. tiggity Silver badge

computer says no

for UK readers above a certain age

5. Mike 137 Silver badge

""Equifax identified a coding issue within a legacy, on-premise server environment "

Everything at Equifax appears to be 'legacy'. The Apache Struts breach of 2017 targeted a 'legacy application' as well. Maybe it's time to modernise their asset base?

1. EricB123 Bronze badge

Re: ""Equifax identified a coding issue within a legacy, on-premise server environment "

Or maybe it's time to stop using honky tonk companies to determine someone's character in the first place.

6. Mayday
    Flame

Equifux

Bank or similar body: your credit score is bad, therefore you are unable to get a mortgage and you’re on the street

Customer; How can that be? I pay off everything on time. I’ll investigate!

Equifux: We broke something. Sorry. Not your fault.

Customer: But I’m on the street now? What can I do? Consumers evidently rely on accurate reporting by you lot for our livelihoods. Well that’s what you tell us anyway.

Equifux: I’ll refer you to our previous sorry message and we’ll also add that we take security and IT issues seriously.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CfWDYU2LaM

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:ObYSWhgxBT4J:https://twitter.com/infosys/status/656976042452779010%3Flang%3Deu+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk

8. TeeCee Gold badge
    FAIL

Computer says...

...urk, wibble, wibble, wibble, I'm a teapot.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like