back to article We'll get you that Wi-Fi 7 laptop by 2024, Intel says

Intel said it intends to add Wi-Fi 7 hardware to laptops and other PCs "by 2024", and a year later for the rest of the market. That's according to the x86 giant's Eric McLaughlin, veep of its wireless solutions and client computing group, who just the other day gave a briefing on the state of wireless connectivity. McLaughlin …

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

More go faster stripes

There are already enough practical problems with wifi that we don't need to worry about the maximum potential speed. Contention and real world barriers (walls) make a mockery of the speed claims and then there's the rest: I can't use auto channel for 5 GHz because I'm close to an airport and channels routinely get shut down and my Macs won't reconnect (I'm holding it wrong says Apple and refuses to accept there could be a bug in MacOS). Contention in the 2.4 Ghz band, and I'm in a fairly residential setting without many other networks locally, leads to frequent reconfiguration and my Raspberry Pi with LibreElec also can't reconnect…

Wifi is great when it works but otherwise use cables whenever you can.

1. Ragarath

Re: More go faster stripes

As Charlie has said.

I get it you want to promote faster speeds. But you'll not achieve them. The chances of having a free 320Mhz channel are practically zero.

What can it achieve with a 20Mhz channel (or lower) and/or with many people connecting? If everyone is connecting at 5.8Gbps let alone the 40 that is theoretically mentioned. Just think of the back-haul needed let alone if those speeds are actually achievable with more than 1 person connected.

A lot of people not in IT I speak to think the Wi-Fi speed is the internet speed so that'll be interesting trying to explain why they can't get that speed.

2. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: More go faster stripes

>Contention and real world barriers (walls) make a mockery of the speed claims and then there's the rest:

No need to look outside of the laptop for the mocker's on the speed claims. In my experience the "typical" modern laptop (with Intel WiFi adaptor) has a single 2.4Ghz antenna and a single 5Ghz antenna.

I presume a WiFi7 laptop will require at least 3 antennae (2.4, 5 and 6GHz),; can't see vendors being in a rush to create the space necessary for more.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

One can also add Broadcom to the list of companies already sampling WiFi 7 systems

https://investors.broadcom.com/news-releases/news-release-details/broadcom-announces-availability-worlds-first-wi-fi-7-ecosystem

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Make Ethernet obsolete.

I'd be interested to see how they're handling RF interference and congestion.

1. Korev Silver badge

Re: Make Ethernet obsolete.

I was going to say, can the newfangled WFi get through the deadspot in Korev Towers caused by my bathroom and a radiator?

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: Make Ethernet obsolete.

With magic, of course!

4. Tubz Silver badge

Ethernet is not dead, how many users need anything faster than what Cat5E and existing network infrastructure can provide, or that business will not want to invest in new network hardware to support fast Wi-Fi, yes less cabling to maintain, as backhaul is from AP's rather than hundreds of floor ports. ?

1. Roland6 Silver badge

>yes less cabling to maintain, as backhaul is from AP's rather than hundreds of floor ports. ?

I thought that until I ungraded a client from 26 year old wall wart Cat5e and noddy WiFi to full site-wide WiFi capable of supporting lots of WiFi devices (think ipads and laptops running Zoom et al.) and discovered to fully support their flexible office space requirements and fixed devices we still needed a large number of wall warts...

5. Aitor 1

Fast vs reliable

I want fast and reliable, but if I had to choose, I would choose reliable.

I want more channels and them being separated so les collisions happen and we can have more devices running without issues.

I am not convinced we are going the right way.. wider bands used for less devices to go faster sounds good until you realise you didn't really need the speed for a single device, but rather quite a few devices cooperating and going at good speed.

6. TeeCee Gold badge
    Facepalm

The benefit for a typical WiFi 7 laptop...

...assumes:

1) That you can find somewhere with WiFi 7 to connect to.

2) That wherever that is also has a connection to the wider world that handles its WiFi 7 clients running at full chat.

3) And it hasn't got so many things connected to it that you'll actually get a small timeslice of the bandwidth.

4) And its not surrounded by other WiFi 7 connections, so it can only use somewhere around a quarter of the channels required for full speed.

Fat Bloody Chance.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The benefit for a typical WiFi 7 laptop...

The speed of the physical connection to the big fat internet pipes will be the biggest restriction to the widespread adoption of WiFi 7 for many of out in the real world.

I get 76Mbits download at the moment. FTTH is not going to be available for my address until 2024 even though the fibre was laid in 2021. Then there is upgrading all your home/business infrastructure.

With a recession looming + inflation and a huge dollop of uncertainty, that ain't gonna happen anytime soon even if the routers/hubs/etc were readily available and cheap... no make that very cheap. Money is going to get very tight but the 'C' level execs at places like Intel etc don't care. As long as their new yacht is delivered on time they don't give a damm about the real world.

For most of us... we simply don't care that much any longer about speeds as long as we can get a reliable connection. Unless you are a gamer or a High Frequency Trader the odd millisecond or three simply does not matter in the grand scheme of things.

7. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Procrastination

Once you get on Apple's M1 or M2, you realise that Intel is a legacy company. They could easily repackage their CPUs as heaters or build devices for stress testing of fans.

I can imagine the WiFi 7 transfer speed would melt the Intel laptop and fans would fly away spinning and beheading anyone in their way.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
      Holmes

Re: Procrastination

I see the Intel stockholders are up early today... (sic)

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: Intel is a legacy company

Really ?

When it ain't goin' away any time soon.

Have fun with your "I'm holding it wrong" equipment.

3. Oglethorpe

It's a strange claim to make when even Apple put Intel CPUs in their workstations, only dumping their inadequately cooled tablet silicon on the laptop users.

1. DS999 Silver badge

They haven't upgraded the Mac Pro yet. That's coming soon, and Apple will be Intel-free.

8. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

And I'm going to buy a new network access point and new laptops for both of us to use this when what we have is more than enough already?

No.

9. D@v3

reliability

As others have said, speed isn't the issue.

Speed is not what it stopping us from moving (almost) everything to Wi-Fi. It's the fact that on any given day we can have a room with 10 identical laptops in, with an AP in the room, that only 8 of them will connect to.

We are running out of networking professionals who say that everything is set up and configured correctly and that it is just that wi-fi, is at times, just a bit shit. But you try explaining that to the users.....

Yeah, the patch panels in out comms cupboards resemble the Bayeux Tapestry, but I'd rather have that, than just random fluctuations and dead spots, any day.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: reliability

Or the fun of securely managing the damn thing: certificates instead of passwords, machinery to deploy certificates to phones because doing this by hand is beyond even many professionals, praying that Microsoft doesn't hose the system again by declaring the certificates invalid as happened recently.

10. Cederic Silver badge

Wifi 7?

Wifi 6E routers aren't affordable yet, with almost no options available to buy even today.

Maybe there's a market for wifi 7 but it's not looking like it's in the home.

11. kirkybootcamp

This is just standard development as with many things.

As long a Wifi 7 device will contact to earlier versions then I don't think there's much of an issue.

I've got a few devices that were capable of Wifi 6 and when I got around to upgrading my router a few months back those devices benefited from the upgrade. In fact, the jump from 5 to 6 was great enough that I didn't actually need Speedtest to confirm that it had happened.

I would like a bit more concentration on the range rather than speed though. e.g. would it be possible to engineer out Mesh as a solution in more cases.

12. fidodogbreath

Intel said it intends to add Wi-Fi 7 hardware to laptops and other PCs "by 2024", and a year later for the rest of the market.

In 2024 the WiFi vendors will be hyping WiFi 9 or 10, and affordable SOHO WiFi 7 routers will still be vanishingly rare.

13. DS999 Silver badge

Wifi 7 is irrelevant

Wifi 6E is useful because it opens up a lot of new spectrum to spread devices out further, that's really the only useful thing that might make you want to move beyond Wifi 6 which is already great at sharing spectrum among a lot of clients at once.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like