back to article Oracle staff share news of sizable layoffs

Oracle employees have taken to social media to reveal many have been laid off by the database and applications giant. Rumors swirled in early July that workforce reductions were looming – particularly for those working on customer service and e-commerce applications, in the US and Europe. Across LinkedIn, Twitter, Thelayoff. …

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Big Brother

Larry must want a bigger yacht

I hear that there are plenty going cheap that were once owned by Russian Oligarchs...

Or perhaps he really does want to buy a country and become the emperor with the bald head?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Larry must want a bigger yacht

He'll need some emperor's new clothes too

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Oracle is "trimming"

So, on the one hand, Oracle ups its licenses due to "economic concerns", and on the other it sheds $1 billion of empoyees.

Looks like management bonus is going to be insane this quarter.

Can we have a "big, fat dollar" icon ?

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

I don't suppose the licence audit teams are going to be cut.

4. Mint Sauce
    WTF?

I refuse to believe...

... that "CX presales engineer" is a real job.

It is better for my mental health, I think!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I refuse to believe...

I had to look up "CX" to figure out what it was about. I figured I was simply out of touch with industry staffing trends and fads.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Missing In Action

"However, the layoffs appear to be across a wide range of roles – from analyst relations to talent acquisition, to CRM to developers."

No lawyers, no auditors, no accountants, no yachtsmen.

6. Finegancjt

IrishLeprechan

Only “substantive” response I’d like would be ACKnowledgement Oracle “leveraged”

and “exploited” E. F. Codd w/o giving credit properly

IMHO

7. Auntie Dix
    Big Brother

Clue: The Cerner Purchase

Via the axe, Lunatic Larry is funding his EHR fantasy.

8. paulojbosco.otto

Margin above all!

Need margin to buy more yachts and finally have a Yacht Cloud Fleet!

9. TheBruce

Nothing Ever Changes...

Almost 30 years ago saw this with Oracle. All of a sudden the help desk help would suffer. Seems like they had laid off all the higher paid support staff. Kept seeing this happen over and over again.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Microsoft’s 1% layoff equals to 18000 people minimum. Plus folks who were successfully interviewed last year are still waiting for the offer letter. How on earth will they be hiring more people from Oracle or other techs? People should really look at the data carefully to see what slow hiring means and its impact. Much of the tech talent in the market is going to end up in non tech companies - managing business systems and It operations there. Tech companies are not hiring at the moment globally and that is the truth.

11. Birdie71

Microsoft is hiring? Didn’t they just cut 1% staff (18,000 people)? And people interviewed successfully last year are still waiting for offers for the last 3 months from them. Why would they scoop up talent let go by Oracle or any other tech? Much of this tech talent will land in non tech businesses - to manage IT operation and build new functions. The opportunity is for FSI, manufacturing and other digital businesses where innovation is key fo r their success.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like