back to article Microsoft hits milestone to replace datacenter generators with fuel cells

Microsoft has successfully tested a hydrogen fuel cell system with 3MW capacity, and plans to install a similar system at a research datacenter to test the feasibility of replacing diesel backup generators with an energy source that generates as little carbon dioxide emissions as possible. The software giant said it ran the …

1. Josco

Hydrogen - Fuel of the Future

I believe the Hindenburg disaster in 1937 set the human race back decades. Possibly too late to save us now...

1. Martin Gregorie

Re: Hydrogen - Fuel of the Future

This story would have been a lot more interesting if it described where the hydrogen will be sourced from and what technology will be used to produce it, i.e. is it electrolysed hydrogen made using solar or wind turbine generated electricity or just hydrogen from a chemical plant converting hydrocarbons and powered with even more hydrocarbons?

1. ITS Retired

That was my question. what do they plan to do with the carbon/2 and other green house gasses left over, if from national gas, or other fossil fuels?

Breaking down water is very energy intensive. Making wind mills and solar panels requires fossil fuels and only last 15 to 20 years, so these ain't really free as some people think either.

While I think fuel cells are good, the fuel problem actually hasn't been solved yet.

2. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge

Also how the hydrogen will be stored. IIRC, standby power systems tend to spend a lot if time just - er - standing around. Hydrogen is a tiny molecule. Diesel is enormous. Diesel doesn't tend to percolate through walls and joints of containmemt. Hydrogen is a bit different. There's also the tendency of hydrogen to affect materials with which it is in contact - hydrogen embrittlement. Interesting.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Time to invest in Gasometer shares.

3. JWLong

Carbon negative

To achieve this they will have to tell their PR department to be quiet and stop telling us how much our privacy and data security is so important to them. That would stop a lot of CO2 and hot air generation.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like