back to article Star Trek's Nichelle Nichols closes hailing frequencies

Nichelle Nichols, who long ago achieved immortality in her role as Uhura on Star Trek, has died at the age of 89. Born in 1932, her four-octave vocal range saw her perform with Duke Ellington at the tender age of 14 and sparked aspirations to become a singer. When the chance to act on TV came up, she saw it as a stepping-stone …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A giant

It was great having her in a TV program like that as a kid. She's part of the mental furniture of my life and that's a great thing. I feel sure she helped break-down many doors for many people and I admire her immensly for it. RIP

1. First Light

Re: A giant

Lt. Uhura's character was a professional woman who was also highly sexy while doing her job competently. Women still can't dress like that in a professional environment and it's almost sixty years later!

1. JimboSmith Silver badge

I watched the original Star Trek in the 80’s and always thought she was a good actress. I never realised then that she’d been such a trailblazer back when originally broadcast. I only found out later how pivotal she had been in advancing the role of both women and black women. The world of Star Trek was as it should be everywhere and I didn’t notice she was black. She was just doing her job as a lieutenant and doing it damn well. RIP a great icon, I will miss you greatly.

2. the Kris

Why this need to dress sexy?

1. Greybearded old scrote Silver badge

Nichelle frequently said that she felt liberated rather than exploited. It was the '60s after all, that was the fashion.

Plus they took every excuse they could find to get Bill's shirt off, they were even handed about it.

1. Danny 2

Alright, enough about her dress. For a start every other female Star Fleet wore exactly the same uniform. RAF uniforms were far sexier.

Yes, in the mid '90s many women including techies wore far shorter skirts to work, they were called 'micro skirts' if memory serves me. And memory does serve me on that topic. Your combination of prudishness and prurience has ruined that for the rest of us.

And to dampen your libido, apostrophes go before the decade, not after. It's the 'nineties, ('90s) not the ninetie's (90's). The apostrophe is there to indicate the lack of the 'nineteen' in nineteen nineties.

I don't mean to come across all John Cleese school master in The Meaning of Life, but don't start on the clitoris boys, start with good punctuation.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Could you please tell the SKY EPG team that. I argued with them about this when I used to submit schedules to them.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

UK Born in 1966

watching Star Trek (nowadays ST:TOS :) ) - I never really noticed that Lt. Uhura was black.

RIP - just Kirk and Sulu left ....

1. WonkoTheSane
      Headmaster

Re: UK Born in 1966

Walter Koenig (Chekov) is still with us.

1. spireite Silver badge

Correct - He's not chekedout yet..

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Yea, quit russian his demise!

2. Lon24

I did. As a pimply 17 year old she was the first woman of colour I found attractive. Or more precisely, very attractive. More importantly intelligent and the equal of anyone on the bridge. A strong contrast to the long blonde women crew members out of central casting used to, presumably, add 'male interest' to the seines.

Sorry if that sounds condescending now - but it was revolutionary, for me, at the time. And Michelle's creation still lives on - Freeview 41 (Legend) tonight at 8pm!

1. TRT Silver badge

I have to admit, Elizabeth Adare did it for me. But I was at an age where I didn't understand what the "it" was that was being done!

1. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
          Gimp

I remember a teacher at school asking for our favorite actress, most of us chose a Hollywood name. One stated Elizabeth Adare, the teachers response of who the heck is that & his reply of "Shes one of the Tomorrow People" reduced the class to hysterics. He was a bit of a case however & it was no surprise when he was revealed to bat for the other side though.

Icon as he was a total Tomorrow People fanboy to such a extent, that he made us Doctor Who fans look positively normal.

1. TRT Silver badge

Ha! Until I got about half way down I was thinking we must have gone to school together!

I used to work with one of the Tomorrow People. Never twigged. Just thought they had one of those familiar sounding names but it never is.

Though my jaw nearly bounced off the floor when I was meeting my new team for that job and I recognised the name of one: a BBC Radiophonic demigod.

2. TRT Silver badge

And just to throw a few more names into the list there...

Delores Mantez, Shakira Baksh (both UFO 1968-70) and Carmen Monroe (Dr Who 1966-67).

3. Triggerfish

George Takei is still going and staying feisty also.

1. anothercynic Silver badge

Who are the pooh-faced people who downvoted this! George is a legend!

And yeah, Nichelle will be missed by so so many. She was an absolute legend too.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Born 1960

Same, I never really noticed that Lt. Uhura was black. I only realized that when, many decades later, it was mentioned as a breakthrough. That this was a breakthrough I still cannot comprehend.

Btw, US TV generally pictured people in various shades of green in PAL countries.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

US TV generally pictured people in various shades of green in PAL countries

Is that why they call foreigners aliens?

:)

2. AndyMulhearn

Btw, US TV generally pictured people in various shades of green in PAL countries.

I seem to recall fuzzy with loads of chromatic aberration

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

America used the NTSC system for encoding colour on to a B&W video stream.

Known as "Never Twice the Same Colour"

1. Bob Dunlop

And conversely the PAL encoding system was known as "Pay A Lot", because I believe it required an extra valve for the alternate line flip flop.

Can't remember the derogatory decode of SECAM though.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

System Essentially Contrary to the American Method

2. spireite Silver badge

System Essentially Contrary to American Method

seems the only one i can find

3. TRT Silver badge

Have to admit I did, but never thought anything of it. Just thought she was (and remained throughout her life in fact) incredibly beautiful.

However I have experienced that exact same realisation about Craig Charles - it was a comment made by someone I know when a serious allegation was made against Craig and my friend said something along the lines of "he'll be guilty until proven innocent because of his colour".

5. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Devil

"I never really noticed that Lt. Uhura was black."

And, THAT is the way things SHOULD be. I am a little tired of the 'tick the box' stuff that way too many people are STILL making a big deal about. At one time in history (the 60's) this was important. Nowadays, 'identity' doesn't really mean anything, almost like a participation trophy for people who have nothing REAL to contribute. (And continuing to point out 'identities', in my opinion, helps perpetuate the 'isms'). So your 'never really noticed she was black' is a pretty GOOD sign that things have gone in the right direction.

That being said, since Nichelle; Nichols actually accomplished some true anti-racism "firsts" on television in the 1960's (such as the first televised interracial kiss with William Shatner, which back then might have gotten the show banned) it was still important for her acting career and her role... because it was "back then when it mattered".

Also worth noting, there was a time when Nichelle Nichols did MORE Star Trek conventions than any of the other main actors from the original series, leading up to the first movie, if I remember correctly.

Sad to see her go. (She only got to sing in one or two episodes and one of the movies, and had a pretty nice jazz voice).

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Agreed, entirely.

But the "first" interracial kiss thing seems to be disputed. It seems to depend on what is meant by "race" and how big a deal it is in any particular country. The Uhura/Kirk kiss was a big deal in the US because she was of Black African decent and he was of White European decent. That seems to have been a much bigger deal than white+any other race in the US, probably related to the outlawed but still often practised segregation at the time. (only outlawed a few years before "the Star Trek kiss".)

2. TRT Silver badge

She has recorded a number of records. Bummed to have missed out on grabbing one during RSD a couple of years ago.

6. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Watching it back in the day, here in the UK, it never crossed my mind that she, George Takai and Walter Koenig were anything out of the ordinary for me. It was a united world, so obviously there would be people from different parts of the world in it, let alone actual non-humans in the crew. It all seemed entirely natural to my young mind. This from someone growing up in part of the UK with very few non-caucasian faces around so looking back, it should have seems odd.

1. KBeee

The JJ Abrams Star Trek world is much less of a united world.

Instead of having Russians, Americans, Scots, Africans etc. all working together as crew of the starship, we now have Russian/Americans, African/Americans etc. i.e. all Americans with American attitudes.

Except Scotty, who is English...

3. UCAP Silver badge

Her light will shine out throughout the universe until the end of days. RIP. You will be greatly missed by so many around the world.

4. Randy Hudson

If I'm not mistaken, that was the only Star Trek scene to feature two actors in a closet.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Because of the time and place, George Takei was in the closet too, just not at the same time. It's more enlightened times now :-)

5. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Science fiction I can take or leave - well, leave, really. But to have sung with Ellington - that is special.

6. TRT Silver badge

Terribly saddening.

Beautiful woman; strong, intelligent, caring, talented.

RIP

7. Alistair

Nichell Nichols

Lt Uhura as a character was a breakthrough role on public television at the time. I was never a huge television junkie, primarily because we didn't have a TV when I was a kid, I became a book addict very young. Star Trek was an awesome show in my books because it took a concept of how humanity should work and put it on screen. Captain Kirk was purely there as an example of what was, being surrounded by what should be.

Later, as a teenager, I bagged the opportunity to go to a ST con here in T.O. In all honesty I can't recall how old I was at the time, but I was with several other folks who had paid to have a small room session with "Kirk" and "Bones" and "Scotty". All three of them dodged the meet and greet for some unknown to me now reason. We were discussing how utterly disappointed we were with the situation when she wandered by. She sat down on a bench and chatted with us for near enough 2 hours, about an enormous range of things from the show to her own life and the world as she saw it. The woman was a serious class act, and an amazing role model for young women in general.

/Salute

8. Plest Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Sheldon: "I believe in a gender blind society like in Star Trek. Where women and men of all races and creeds worked side-by-side as equals."

Leonard: "You mean where they were advanced enough to develop an interstellar warp drive, but a black lady still answered the space phone?"

RIP MIchelle - You pushed back boundaries but we still have a long way to go.

9. tiggity Silver badge

kiss

Worth adding the broadcaster unease over the famous "inter racial" kiss scene & how t would play in the Southern US especially.

Plan was to shoot 2 versions of the scene - the Kirk / Uhura kissed & 1 where they did not.

Kiss scene shot first, Nicholls & Shatner then deliberately screwed up all the non kiss scene takes so kiss scene was the only option.

Plenty of instances of Shatner being a bit of a ****, but good that he did the right thing on that occasion

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: kiss

I like the fact that in the list of contenders for the first interracial kiss on US TV, predating the Uhura one is yet another Shatner!

And arguably on that list is Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz, who were, of course, behind Desilu productions which started the whole Trek franchise!

Definitely ground breaking.

10. AndyMulhearn

Cribbins and Nichols

Sad days for those of us of a certain age.

11. Sandtitz Silver badge
    Happy

Not just Star Trek

Outside of Star Trek universe I can only name one other title she was in, Truck Turner. Saw the film uh, 25 years ago or so and still remember it fondly.

Nichelle played a really tough bitch, pimping (!) her harem of prostitutes, check the trailer.

Not a high quality blaxploitation picture but fast paced, jiving + high fiving, outrageously good times. And proper music score as well.

1. Spoobistle
      Thumb Up

Re: Not just Star Trek

Snow Dogs!

She played Cuba Gooding's mother in this Disney Alaskan romp, also featuring James Coburn and lots of endearing huskies. Christmas viewing for all ages.

Definitely one of those "That's not... oh yes it is!" moments.

12. Danny 2

UK news media take on the kiss

Basically it wasn't a kiss, it was a sexual assault. Numerous news readers here have hinted or joked about that which shows how our meandering morals are changing.

I have to admit upon learning of her close friendship with Martin Luther King, MLK was a known womaniser that the unknown trans John Edgar Hoover FBI tried to blackmail him with.

She was a wonderful woman, and like other people have said, she let me grow up where I didn't notice race and assume we could all work together like humans.

Sadly today we can't risk Chekov on the bridge, put him in the brig.

13. Sixtiesplastictrektableware

Tardy Obligatory Post

Went home and watched "The Changeling" and "Tholian Web" after the news.

Good episodes with Uhura doing her thing (little singing, showing wonder at her plot predicament).

My only knowledge of Cribbins was Doctor Who 2005, whereupon I immediately adored him.

After his news, only then did I understand the pedigree of his charm.

Tough day both sides of the puddle.

PS: my brother (57) remembers Tomorrow People, but I don't (50).

Thanks for the reminder, lads. Time to look that up (maybe Blake's 7 too).

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Tardy Obligatory Post

Tomorrow People's theme music and opening titles is exquisite. Possibly the best.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like