back to article Meta pours cash into servers and AI as ad revenue falls

Facebook's parent company Meta has spent $7.7 billion on capital expenditure in the last quarter, driven by investments in datacenter infrastructure and AI, as it recorded its first ever revenue decline thanks to falling advertising income. The internet giant reported total revenue for Q2 2022 just completed was $28.8 billion …

1. fidodogbreath

"One of the main transformations in our business right now is that social feeds are going from being driven primarily by the people and accounts you follow to increasingly also being driven by AI recommending content that you'll find interesting we're turning this whole shit show into a mediocre TikTok rip-off"

FTFY, Zuck.

2. Tom Womack

Oh no, an extra year before fanciest-available datacentre CPUs trickle down through the second-hand market to add to the medium-performance computing facility in my garage.

On the other hand, an enforced one-year gap on computer acquisition just as electricity bills are tripling is probably not the worst plan.

3. theExecutive

Second life

Seen this before, it failed, for the same reasons.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I am sure

I am not the only one who read the headline as “ Meta pours cash into sewers” am I?

Then again as is is to do with Facebook… rather apt I think.

5. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Mind tricks

Yes more tracking and mind tricks to make you part with your money.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: Mind tricks

Yeah but this time, it's determined by computer.

Just drink the Kool-Aid. Mommy AI knows best.

6. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
    Coat

“operating with increased intensity”

The smell of fear? - Or is it the sweat...

Zuckerberg’s executives had to sweat their way through a 122-page slide deck on “operating with increased intensity”

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jul/30/like-bill-gates-before-him-mark-zuckerberg-is-having-a-pearl-harbour-moment

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

With any luck, Meta will someday have all the influence and control that MySpace does nowadays... :)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like