back to article Knotweed Euro cyber mercenaries attacking private sector, says Microsoft

Microsoft has published an analysis of a Europe-based "private-sector offensive actor" with a view to helping its customers spot signs of attacks by money-hungry gangsters. Dubbed Knotweed by Microsoft's Threat Intelligence Center and Security Response Center, the private sector targeting crew has made use of multiple Windows …

1. Zippy´s Sausage Factory
    Facepalm

Excel macros... why is it always Excel?

I remember installing VB 5 a few years ago to open some legacy project and it said something along the lines of "write code that downloads and executes on the user's machine - without prompting!".

Bless* 'em, how naive they were...

* (that's a euphemism, of course)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

pdf has permission to make DLLs?

MS why do you give so much access to a fricking document? Why do you keep creating insecure OSs that allow alteration?

you'd think by now you would "get it" but nope

3. VoiceOfTruth Silver badge

Microsoft

Why is Microsoft able to identify Austria based rogues, but not rogues that exist on Microsoft's own IP space?

I notice that Microsoft points out Digital Ocean hosts some of these bad actors. While this is undoubtedly true, based on what I see myself, how about the baddies on MS's own network? I see plenty of bad traffic sourced from there.

1. Clausewitz4.0 Bronze badge
      Devil

Re: Microsoft

True. A lot of phishing pages jump from Azure -> AWS and vice versa, sometimes in round-robin. Probably to make the takedown harder / slower.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like