back to article NASA's Lunar Orbiter spots comfortably warm 'pits' all over the Moon

Data from the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO) has led scientists to conclude that the Moon hosts around 200 "pits" that offer stable and human-friendly temperatures. The pits "always hover around a comfortable 63F/17C, NASA stated on Wednesday. A steady 17C contrasts markedly with the rest of the Moon's surface, which …

1. ComputerSays_noAbsolutelyNo Silver badge
    Alien

Cave-Astronauts

... that would be quite Kubrickeque, as in 2001 - A Space Odyssey

1. MyffyW Silver badge

Cave-dwelling

I will admit there is something quite odd about going to all the trouble of getting out of Earth's gravity well only to live in a cave.

... but I've still got a hankering to do it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Cave-dwelling

going to all the trouble of getting out of Earth's gravity well only to live in a cave.

And due to the location of the caves being the Sea of Tranquillity we'd also be returning to the ocean, which, incidentally, some people seem to think we should never have left (according to an obscure digital travel guide I remember reading once.)

Looking around me, I have a nasty feeling that they probably had a point...

1. MyffyW Silver badge

@AC, is that you Arthur?

2. TRT Silver badge

It's all to do with the movement of digital representations of small, green, pieces of paper.

2. Little Mouse
      Trollface

Re: Cave-Astronauts

Those moon pits have a relatively small area, and high walls on all sides. A cynical person might suggest that those conditions would be quite simple to replicate in a typical earth-based movie studio...

2. Roj Blake Silver badge

I'm not saying it was aliens...

But it was definitely aliens who created these pits.

1. Joe W Silver badge
      Alien

Re: I'm not saying it was aliens...

Yeah, "those are not pits, those are exhaust pipes / collapsed access tunnels / airlocks..."

(because we all know that this is no moon, etc....)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"those are not pits, those are exhaust pipes"

If those are indeed exhaust ports, please make sure that any adjacent auxiliary ports are fully protected. Old school design guidelines called for ray shielding ports 3m in diameter an smaller, but that's been found to be insufficient.

2. werdsmith Silver badge

Clangers, absolutely no question that the Clangers live in these holes.

1. DishonestQuill

Hmmm.... I'm not so sure. That looks like prime Soup Dragon territory to me.

1. Fr. Ted Crilly Silver badge

Mind you, the blue string pudding will pall after a while...

3. Little Mouse

It's an Exogorth cave - definitely.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Alien

Sarlaccs, definitely sarlaccs, just waiting for astronauts to drop in for dinner.

1. Snowy Silver badge
        Joke

That is the pits

3. wolfetone Silver badge

Not Lava Tubes

They are exhausts for the secret underground Nazi moon base.

As we all know!

1. seven of five

Re: Not Lava Tubes

Since the moon is hollow and contains the dinosaurs? Or was this where the nazis ride kangaroo? Damn, I' losing track.

1. David 132 Silver badge
        Happy

No, stupid, it’s where Lord Lucan and Elvis keep Shergar in their red double-decker bus. Do try to keep up. /s

1. Ken Shabby
          Headmaster

Lancaster bombers mate, trust me. It was in a quality paper years ago, they knew how to break an exclusive back then.

1. jonathan keith

I have a vague memory of the aircraft in question being a B-17, if we're both thinking about the same quality publication.

And here's the story, although the aeroplane is simply described as an 'American World War 2 bomber'.

If, somehow, I managed to miss the astounding news of a Lancaster being found on the Moon as well, I'll be profoundly grateful for any links to the full story.

4. Richard 81

No soup for you.

The warmth is caused by fumes from the Soup Dragon's kitchen.

1. Dizzy Dwarf

Re: No soup for you.

With the simple and practical addition of a dustbin lid we can raise the temperature to a toasty 20°C

5. Paul Herber Silver badge

17C

yes, but my wife would still be wanting to wear thick socks and a nice warm scarf amd telling me to wear a jacket.

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Re: 17C

Mine too, but she's from Rio and thinks 25C is a bit chilly.

1. WhereAmI?

That's warmer than high summer here. Sign me up!!!

2. wolfetone Silver badge
      Coat

In Space...

... no one can hear your wife nagging you to wear a jacket.

1. b0llchit Silver badge
        Coat

Re: In Space...

But the image! The image is terrifying! Imagine having to see and endure that amount of silent nagging. The silent treatment is a lot harsher than the vocal.

1. Caver_Dave Silver badge
          Joke

I haven't spoken to my wife in years. I dare not interrupt her!

1. Aussie Doc
            Joke

Well, my wife and I make a point of never going to bed angry.

We've been awake since last Friday.

2. TRT Silver badge

Harcourt Fenton Mudd! Have you been drinking again?

3. innominatus

Up here in Bonny Scotland 17C is a scorcher of a summer's day. Taps Aff!

Also, "direct-to-Earth communications" suggests it it time to properly register and open up tld .moon (currently claimed by the Lunar Embassy?)

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Here doon sooth in Geordiland, that's not only a real swelterer. but we'd already be in shorts and no tops long before it got anywhere near THAT hot!! Bloody saft Scots! :-)

6. DaemonProcess

Asimov

So now we know where to put Robot Daneel Olivaw.

1. Fr. Ted Crilly Silver badge

Re: Asimov

Or Jemby for that matter.

2. stuartnz
      Pint

And when he is put in charge of the moonshine (ha!) manufacturing, they will be The Caves of Still

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

That has the feeling and maturity of a joke you came up with 20 years ago and have been waiting to use ever since :-)

1. stuartnz
  7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

MAAS

> A steady 17C contrasts markedly with the rest of the Moon's service

Moon As A Service?

1. Mike 137 Silver badge

Re: MAAS

"Moon As A Service?"

Quite soon (just like everything else). We'll be paying subscriptions shortly to ensure the tides turn.

1. imanidiot Silver badge

If I don't pay for the tides do they stop only for me? That seems useful somehow.

1. Tom 7

Only if your a bit of Cnut!

1. Doomz

Grammar!! Tut tut. You mean You're

1. WonkoTheSane
              Headmaster

Vowels were in short supply during the early years of the 11th Century

1. TRT Silver badge

The days of yo're?

2. Yet Another Hierachial Anonynmous Coward

Actually very useful.

On the beach, on a nice sunny day and the tide is coming in and the beach quickly disappearing....

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Moon As A Service?

Pretty sure that's NSFW!

3. steelpillow Silver badge
      Coat

And I always thought Elon Musk was saying he wanted to do Mars.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Wayne Rooney (allegedly) only wanted to do grandmas

2. TRT Silver badge

I knew a girl at college who loved to do Mars, allegedly.

8. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Orbital Potato Gun

Imagine an orbital potato gun launching potatoes into the Moon's warm pockets.

In a couple decades would could rename the Moon to Potatoon.

Re: Orbital Potato Gun

Yabbut... who wants a moon that sounds like a Harley Davidson?

1. David 132 Silver badge
        Coat

Re: Orbital Potato Gun

> who wants a moon that sounds like a Harley Davidson?

Dunno, but as for someone wanting a moon that sounds like a clock, well, that would be a lunatic.

9. Eclectic Man Silver badge

Stability

I wonder how stable the holes are? They look similar to sink holes here on Earth, so might need some structural reinforcement before it would be safe to go there. Still, 17C does seem very welcoming compared to the lunar surface.

1. Tom 7

Re: Stability

IF the temperature is stable in the moon holes then its likely they are a lot more stable than places that undergo thermal cycling.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Keep in mind the huge gravity difference. There is no indication that these pits follow the same pattern as similar structures on earth year. That said, it looks A LOT like a skylight into something like a lava tube, which would be an ideal find. In that case the breakdown of the hole in the ceiling would have more to do with cooling lava then gravity/impacts and could lead to an extensive and handy tube.

Flip side is that it could be a teacup impact crater in powdered regolith and act like a giant ant lion trap, collapsing tons of mass on whatever hapless fool disturbs it. Friction and low g can make for some interesting stuff. Or you know it could just be a giant vacuum adapted ant lion in there I guess, judging by some of the other comments here.

But finding a stable lava tube to use as shelter for further exploration would be a huge coup. That would mean we could line it with a lightweight structure akin to one of the Bigelow inflatable hab structures instead of trying to heavy lift something, or digging equipment.

Fun to dream right? How much gas would a cubesat with a hall thruster need to get there and check it out?

2. brainwrong
      Trollface

Maybe elon musk will finally get to use his cave rescue tube contraption made out of old rocket bits.

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"I wonder how stable the holes are?

I wonder that too when I read these bits from the article:

"hypothesized the pit and others like it were created by the ceiling of a collapsed cave.

“For long term colonization and exploration of the Moon, pits may provide a desirable habitat:

As the first line was from the end of one paragraph, and the second line is the start of the next paragraph, it seemed especially jarring and maybe not such a good idea.

10. lglethal Silver badge
    Go

Hmmm...

I'm wondering what you would need for a robot to explore these areas. Unfortunately, with the zero air on the Moon, no Helicopters would be possible. Rovers would also be out. I suppose with the low gravity, some sort of hopping robot, might be possible, but damping it so that it doesnt spring straight back out would be a challenge, and as a rule electronics are not normally fans of bouncing.

That's a project I would love to work on...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hmmm...

Just need to put a nice room on them. How hard can it be ?

2. cray74

but damping it so that it doesnt spring straight back out would be a challenge

Shock absorbers and dampers are old, established technologies. Use a piston to launch your hopper and then separate legs with damping to cushion the landing.

electronics are not normally fans of bouncing.

Solid state electronics are pretty good about bouncing. If you don't have spinning rust in the system and take care to prevent the components from flexing such as by potting them in epoxy then you can get functional electronics launched from cannons at thousands of Gs.

I work with aircraft systems that can handle 11Gs in hard landings with a safety factor of 2 and an additional customer-is-antsy factor of 1.5. There are additional flight turbulence and operational requirements to handle more sustained bouncing than a brief hard landing. The microchips, components, and other circuit board doodads don't have weird aerospace-grade packaging, either. In fact, most of the electronics aren't even shock-mounted unless they incidentally share a mount with more delicate systems like optics.

1. Tom 7

ISTR the chips I worked on were specced to 50,000G - and that was mainly down to the wires that connected the chip to its carrier. Modern chips have far better methods of connection and I would imagine they have far higher immunity to bangs and vibration. However in an vacuum environment I would imagine static could reach extremely high levels!

I used to design systems that were tested at 10-20,000g...

2. lglethal Silver badge
        Go

Shock absorbers and Dampers might be old and established Tech on Earth, but in Space they're not so often used with moving rovers. At least not on the rovers themselves. Most shock absorbers use some sort of Oleo arrangement, but on the Moon your stuck with making it a hydraulic Oleo, since you cant use Air, and that's going to make it heavy. To make some sort of pneumatic system, it's going to have to be hermetically sealed, again upping complexity, weight and cost.

Crush dampers are fine if only needed once, but you then need some sort of extra mechanism to deploy your movement mehcnaism after the dampers have done their job. Again all this adds Compleixty, cost, weight, and potential failure mechanisms.

For me, for these holes, you would want something that's able to jump in the hole and then go cave exploring. A damper system would be difficult in that.

Also, your going to want a sensor package, so you are talking optics of varying grades, lights, comms, batteries, etc. Some of that is fine with vibration and bouncing, but a lot of it will need special mountings, adding again complexity, weight and cost.

Like I said such a project would be awesome to work on, but never underestimate just how difficult it is to design something to operate in a near vacuum environment, espeically something that is not just a lander, but which needs to move around and perform science.

Man, I miss working in the Space industry...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Moon gravity != earth gravity

So if you keep your speed down the energy would be minimal. Probably could go spider if you wanted to be flashy, but for an important mission like this, with a likely short trip, I'd pack in thrusters and just fly down. Given the challenge to land adjacent to the site, then navigate the path inside in contact with the lunar surface it seems lower risk to fly in something with cameras and look around.

If someone is going to do a flyby in the next few years, maybe they could toss something out the door and guide it in Buzz Aldrin style while the radio delay is short. Maybe plant a little cocktail flag.

The counter argument would be that trying to preserve a pristine environment inside the first extra terrestrial cave we would be exploring would be better for the science. That's less fun though (and probably why I write code of dubious quality and not design lunar rovers for a living).

2. hammarbtyp

Why not use the old mars rover system of wrapping it in a giant Kelvar ball, which is deflated once in the hole?

1. lglethal Silver badge
            Go

The problem with that would be guaranteeing you make it into the hole, landing from Orbit is not a precise business. Actually let me rephrase that because Landing is a hugely precise business, but the landing zone you choose is measured in square kilometres. So trying to hit a hole a couple hundred metres across in a landing zone a couple of kilometres across, is probably not going to be successful.

Although maybe if there was the Lunar Gateway in place, then you could drop it with a lot less lateral velocity, and have more chance of hitting what you want. Still I'd hate to be tasked with calculating the landing trajectories and planning for that eventuality...

3. steelpillow Silver badge
      Coat

some sort of hopping robot

Robo-roo!

"What's that Skippy? [Insert wisecrack of choice]?"

4. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Re: Hmmm...Bouncing

Remember the moon mobiles used in Captain Scarlet?

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/gerryanderson/images/f/f7/Moon_mobile_%28crater_101%29.png/revision/latest?cb=20181114234528

5. midgepad

Abseiling and jumaring

Sort out the going down and getting back out, and more easily using lighter gear than on Earth.

Choosing a vacuum-tolerant rope is an exercise I suspect has been done.

Pitons, screws, rock anchors, Friends and chocks only depend on finding something solid in walls or slopes or above to belay.

If the floor is the interesting bit then wheels, treads and steppy things should suffice. Boston Dynamics may soon have a Lunar Rover.

1. Eclectic Man Silver badge
        Joke

Re: Abseiling and jumaring

midgepad: "Boston Dynamics may soon have a Lunar Rover"

Haha! I saw what you did there!

https://www.bostondynamics.com/products/spot

As long as it is not called 'Fenton':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GRSbr0EYYU

6. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"I suppose with the low gravity, some sort of hopping robot, might be possible, but damping it so that it doesnt spring straight back out would be a challenge,"

Clearly you never saw a Moon Hopper on UFO

Mmmm, I need to go lie down in a darkened room while a dream of sexy ladies in string vest outfits with silver miniskirts.

11. TrickyRicky
    Coat

Like a bad club...

The Moon is the pits, it's got no atmosphere

12. steelpillow Silver badge
    Trollface

Beware!

Icon for the hole's inhabitant!

13. GreyWolf

Pre-owned Pits

...may still have "someone" living in them ...

...and the floor carpeted with "bones" ...

14. Blackjack Silver badge

This could be used to put permanent equipment on the moon but is nowhere good enough for making a permanent moonbase.

15. Snowy Silver badge
    Coat

Why

Are they this temperature?

16. Bartholomew
    Meh

17°C ± 1°C ?

What is the physics at play ?

The physics for the temperature of an earth based sinkhole is going to be different, because we have air and convection changes everything ( https://weather.com/science/weather-explainers/news/2020-01-15-temperature-sinks-cold-explained )

I can understand that living inside a sinkhole on the moon you will not receive direct sunlight (127°C/260°F), so it will always be cooler living in the shade. But at night time (-173°C/-280°F) how are the lows avoided, is it that the rim of the sinkhole rock that was previously heated all day is radiating the stored heat into the middle of the sinkhole during the lunar night ?

Smart move by NASA in calling them "pits" instead of "sinkholes", to avoid any negative connotations.

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: 17°C ± 1°C ?

Something like that. Shade during the day, radiated heat during the night.

It would make an ideal habitat for moisture farmers. Just saying!

1. Bartholomew

Re: 17°C ± 1°C ?

Keep in mind that one Lunar day is 29 earth days, 12 hours and 44 minutes. Which just blows my mind that it is even possible to maintain a nearly constant temperature of 17°C ± 1°C over a single day.

17. DanceMan

Caves on the Moon

Flash Gordon was right.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like