back to article Microsoft warns Windows 10 patch broke printing for some

Microsoft's torrid time with patches is continuing after the company admitted that printing might once again be broken in Windows 10 for some users following the application of an update. At fault is the latest patch Tuesday emission, KB5015807, and its preview, KB5014666. Both updates affect Windows 10 and Windows Server 20H2 …

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge
    Joke

A traditional problem

It sounds like the Microsoft update verification workers still don't use printers, I guess they will fix the patch with a new patch now that we've noticed the upgrade issue.

1. druck Silver badge

Re: A traditional problem

I'm pretty sure they don't use computers either.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Coat

"It sounds like the Microsoft update verification workers still don't use printers,"

The paperless office has arrived?

1. Richard Jones 1
        FAIL

So, just advancing the paperless cause, then.

3. simonlb Silver badge
      Trollface

Gutenberg invented the printing press almost 600 years ago. Only Microsoft could manage to break something that has worked perfectly well for centuries.

4. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

more like MS wanting us to move to the fabled 'Paperless Office' right now.

Even so, their QA process (if it exists) sucks big time. Nothing new there then...

1. ITMA Silver badge

There was a joke "cartoon" in (I think) "Practical Computing" back in the 1980's which went something like this:

Man sees another guy approaching dragiging a "train" of trolleys (at least 5) loaded with stacks of fanfold paper.

He asks:

"What's that?"

"It's the documentation for our paperless office"

5. ITMA Silver badge

It is far simpler than that.

In Microshaft's view, customers ARE the test/software QC department....

And what EXACTLY is it that printing in Windows 10 does that means it won't work with versions of PCL < 6????

FFS!!!! Printing is basically putting marks on paper...

And I have worked for TWO global printer manufacturers and very little has changed.

The only real developments have been GDI (aka "brain dead") printers where your PC does all the work and .... that is it. Nothing else.

So WTF does Windows do that can't work with PCL5???

2. DailyLlama

I don't see the problem

Just get rid of all your printers, and it's all fine.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Linux

Re: I don't see the problem

Maybe it would be fixed by using a Linux box sharing its CUPS printers via Samba.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Sounds good to me, windows printing on supported printers is unreliable in my house, with windows print spooler randomly deciding that the printer isn't accepting print jobs despite the printers saying otherwise. Printing from Linux works every time....

2. BobChip
        Linux

Likewise. Win 11 has screwed up my Epson scanner. Fortunately, it still works perfectly in Linux. As do all the other devices (printers etc..) attached to my desktop. Guess which OS I am now using for my WORK

1. portman

Linux is the worst for drivers. Printers not working, audio not working, wifi card not working.... Windows it all just works, same with Mac.

3. Andy Non Silver badge

I get the impression

Windows has become so bloated and complex and trying to do too many things to the point Microsoft are having difficulty managing it and keeping it stable.

1. fidodogbreath

Re: I get the impression

That's been the case for a while now.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

OTOH printing is something you expect an OS to be able to just do.

1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Unfortunately printing is an unfashionable side of computing. It was a vital component in the past and still languished through lack of care and attention, it's less vital for many now but when needed it still needs to work. Reliably.

Microsoft chose not to invest resources in printing and printer interfaces (the horrors of trying to write printing code made this lack of care from Microsoft incredibly obvious even at the API level), and instead implemented what should have been OS functions such as print preview into their Office applications. After all, if any application can do "print preview", it makes Microsoft Office feel less special. Printer capabilities increased of course and rather than work with this, Microsoft abandoned the printer manufacturers to implement everything in custom code - not helped that some of the printer manufacturers employed badly trained monkeys to mash keyboards until something vaguely compiled and called this a printer driver.

Because Microsoft didn't care for printing functions, the enhanced functions had to be implemented by third parties and it's no surprise that these were badly implemented and full of security holes.

Microsoft's fix for this mess that they managed? To block printer driver installation even from trusted sources and to introduce the generic v4 printer driver model which has even less features than a standard printer driver. Useless in other words.

4. fidodogbreath

"It just borks."

^^ New Windows marketing slogan ^^

1. J. Cook Silver badge
      Joke

Re: "It just borks."

If they unload a rail car of money at Disney, they might be able to use the Swedish Chef in their next ad as well...

1. MrDamage Silver badge

Re: "It just borks."

Drop the idea to someone in Apple's marketing department.

2. Mishak Silver badge

Swedish Chef

<Shudder>

Reminds me of an English teacher I had at school. We were studying Chaucer "in the original", and he "helpfully" brought in a recording he had made by lowering a microphone into the horn of the wind-up record player he used.

It sounded exactly like the Swedish Chef. "As you can see, we are now at the bottom of page 67". Frantic turning of pages...

A real waste of my early life!

5. Primus Secundus Tertius

Good old XP

My printer/scanner is attached to a machine running Windows XP. So it does not have these update problems.

1. David 132 Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Good old XP

I'm tempted to make a flippant remark along the lines of "yes, and the 30,000 black hats worldwide who have root access to your PC really appreciate the availability of the printer too..." but I won't.

Because I'm better than that. And also I'm sure you're smart enough to keep the machine air-gapped or otherwise protected.

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Devil

Re: Good old XP

I have a windows 7 box that NEVAR goes on Teh Intarwebs that has printing enabled, because if I do NOT enable printing, QuickBooks stops working. Not like I need it for ACCOUNTING or anything...

But yeah if the only thing I do on that box is QB and the occasional "windows thing" (not Teh Intarwebs) what do I need UPDATES for, when it is behind my FreeBSD FIREWALL (filtering the HELL out of IPv6) ???

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And this is a *new* issue ?

Sorry, I've had printers stop working, need reinstalling, appear as duplicates and generally fuck things up for well over 2 years of Windows 10.

The article just read as BAU for me.

1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Re: And this is a *new* issue ?

I've got an old printer installed on my system that even when signing in as the local administrator I cannot get rid of. I guess I could prune the registry manually but so far I haven't bothered, I just print to the current printer.

2. Snake Silver badge

Re: And this is a *new* issue ?

Exactly - happened to 2 computers on the network last week.

As Bugs Bunny said, "So what else is new??"

But note that, in my experience, printing problems only started after they started their mitigations on reported vulnerabilities. Before that, Win10 printing was rock-solid on all the computers I administer.

7. Charlie van Becelaere
    Facepalm

At least I know where the blame lies

as my default printer has disappeared from printing dialogs this week.

Oddly, not in all applications, and it shows in the Printers and Devices - as the default - but, maddeningly, it's gone from the one application I wanted to use.

Perhaps after another patch Tuesday I'll get it back?

8. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
    FAIL

After all these years

you'd think someone at m$ actually knew about the print service module and howto keep it upto date without borking it.

Then again, if the QC department hadn't of been fired to save money, m$ might have picked it up before the update got out............

9. Someone Else Silver badge

From Micros~1's perspective, printing is soooo Windows 7!

10. Jan K.

Man, it must be easy to write reports on el Reg...

Copy, paste, edit some KB numbers and... Voila!

Aren't updates delivered to users in "segments" or groups?

With 100s of millions users, updates could be pushed to 1000 users. Check for issues. Push to a million. Check for issues. etc. etc.

For the majority of users that could at least be considered being as some kind of QA?

Or is it MS's AI check of updates failing it's job? https://www.engadget.com/2018-06-14-microsoft-ai-windows-10-updates-smoother.html

1. druck Silver badge

So you push the usual bundle of features, bug fixes and security patches to a 1000 or a million users, and how long to you wait for problems to show up? A day, a week? In the mean time all those security patches are being reverse engineered by blackhats and exploits developed and deployed before those updates go off to the other 100s millions of users.

Treating users like guinea pigs is no substitute for QA.

11. Nifty Silver badge

Should try using your remote control to print

1. Print your document to PDF, save to a cloud drive.

2. Pick up phone, open the doc from the drive, send to printer.

That's how I've been getting around Windows 10 printing borks.

1. EH

Re: Should try using your remote control to print

Same. My iPhone is the most reliable way to print at home. I don’t have the time or the will to set up a print server at home and maintain all the family’s laptops, so when their printing inevitably fails I tell them to use their phones too. The kids like to play games so moving them all to MacBooks probably not an option (and not cheap)

1. Nifty Silver badge

I've also found printing out recycling centre booking emails (to a Canon printer) a challenge with my Android tablet. So I book it on the tablet (Chrome on Android has good auto form filling) but use the iPhone to print the email.

2. fidodogbreath

Unless you have a Brother network laser (like mine), which prints one job and then drops off of the network until I hard-reboot it.

12. M.V. Lipvig Silver badge

Neat.

I only even turn my Win10 laptop on at tax time. In the meantime, my Win7 machine still does the job, although I've been booting Cinnamint from a USB for the last few days. Going to play with it for a month or two and if I like it, I'll make it permanent.

13. david 12 Silver badge

Network protocol

It's not just the print system that has problems -- it's the complex, chatty, verbose 'automatic' network discovery of printers using ZeroConf, mDNS, DNS service discovery, and WTF all else.

That printer is gone, new one on the network is (1), No, that's gone, now we've got (2).

That system never worked properly in the first place, and because it's a network discovery protocol, as well as being newish and complex, it gets security updates -- which contain new bugs and breakages, because it's new, complex, and has to work with existing printers, each with their own idiosyncratic implementation.

1. FirstTangoInParis Bronze badge

Re: Network protocol

*walks into small office*

Windows user: my printer has stopped working. I have to email file to iPhone to be able to print!

* logs into router, nails up printer IP address, reinstalls printer driver **

Windows user: ah thanks it works again now

I rest my case.

14. ComputerSays_noAbsolutelyNo Silver badge
    Joke

Save trees

update your Windows

15. Zack Mollusc

anyone else remember....

..when the big appeal of windows was the support for a wide range of printers and it was easy to get lan printing to work?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like