back to article Twitter launches probe after miscreants claim to have swiped 5.4m users' details

Twitter is investigating claims that a near-seven-month-old vulnerability in its software has been exploited to obtain Twitter account IDs linked to phone numbers and email addresses of a reported 5.4 million users.  A miscreant using the handle "devil" claims to have siphoned the details and is selling it all on a cyber-crime …

1. Howard Sway Silver badge

Nothing romantic

As that seems to be the standard operating procedure for careless deployment of the Muskmember, it's not really a full denial, is it?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Nothing romantic

He posted pictures of him and the guy who's wife he was supposedly cheating with. The newspaper that originally broke the story had literally no sources for the information.

Their sources were literally "trust me bro". They were having fun at a party. Didn't look like anyone was upset

He said newspapers would put out hit pieces about him and he's just proven that right. It makes me sad to see the reg jumping on the sub par tabloid reputation these papers are getting. 2 minutes of research would have shown the story was completely untrue.

Hired any activist journalists lately?

1. werdsmith Silver badge

I don't know why anyone would care who he shags or doesn't shag. I guess enough people do though.

2. rskurat

the WSJ is a tabloid?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Social media wants my phone number?

Social media be damned.

3. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Published too early

Because it gets worse: https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1551389048572301312?s=20&t=Edj7sPejaots-uYngnahhA

4. EnviableOne

As always

"As always, we're committed to protecting the privacy and security of the people who use Twitter"

if people were actually committed, there would not be an issue with privacy or security

1. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

Re: As always

"As always, we're committed to protecting the privacy and security of the people who use Twitter"

if people were actually committed, there would not be an issue with privacy or security

If people were committed, they would be denied access to sharp objects, stay sedated most of the time and have occasional interactions with hospital staff.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like