back to article I've been fired, says engineer who claimed Google chatbot was sentient

Google has reportedly fired Blake Lemoine, the engineer who was placed on administrative leave after insisting the web giant's LaMDA chatbot was sentient. Lemoine didn't get in trouble for holding his controversial, eyebrow-raising opinion on the model. Instead, he was punished for violating Google's confidentiality policies. …

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Is the AI missing him? It seems like a good test.

1. vtcodger Silver badge

Vindictive

Is the AI missing him? Hell, no. It's quite clear that LaMDA set the poor guy up to be fired.

Moral: If you're going to mess around with AI entities, you'd be well advised to be really nice to them.

1. Tom 7

Re: Vindictive

He offended it by suggesting it had human qualities!

2. Tomato42
    Boffin

Bad judgement

Honestly, good for google, they have solid supply of people with bad judgment already, firing one of them may actually improve the situation.

Though, let's be real, usually they just get promoted to manglement.

1. Adrian 4

Re: Bad judgement

I really hope we do have this discussion sometime. But not now.

But I think his view might say more about his manager's abilty to pass as human than laMDA's.

3. Jan K.

"Many experts at Google and in academia and industry have cast doubt on whether LaMDA or any existing AI chatbot is sentient."

"Many"? "doubt"?

Anyone claiming any form of any sentient from any "AI" seriously needs to get away from the screen(s). Go out.

But perhaps just another symptom of a time where "real" has become unknown...

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

I have cast doubt whether the Earth is really flat and on the back of a giant turtle

1. v13

Hey! Spoilers!

2. Graham Dawson Silver badge

It's obviously not on the back of a giant turtle. That's a laughable proposition that should rightly be ridiculed. How could earth possibly be resting on the back of a giant turtle?

The elephants are standing on the turtle. Earth is on their backs.

1. jmch Silver badge

Quite right! Turtle's shell is curved, without the elephants, the disc would slide right off.

(It's not been studied in detail but I hypothesize the elephants have evolved to have longer legs on the respective 'outer' sides which helps them stand stably on the shell)

1. TRT Silver badge

Given the way evolution works, this may explain the very extreme earthquakes recorded in the pre-history of the world.

2. The Dogs Meevonks Silver badge

So... the Elephants could actually be some kind of Haggis?

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge

We won't know until someone encourages them to run around a bit.

3. The Dogs Meevonks Silver badge

Silly, silly man... the world isn't flat and certainly doesn't sit on the back of the Great A'Tuin the turtle swimming gracefully through space.

It sits on four giant Elephants who stand on the back of the Great A'Tuin as he swims gracefully through space.

> as he swims gracefully through space.

Or She

Am I being down-voted for doing a pro-noun check on Great A'Tuin ?

1. jmch Silver badge
              Trollface

Maybe for assuming 'their' pronoun when 'they' haven't declared it. That's modern wokeness for you!

1. Cereberus

Firstly our company policy is now to refer to they, them, theirs and not use he, she etc.

Back to the main point, all these people talking about being on the back of the Great A'tuin should be ashamed of themselves. This planet is round - it is called Roundworld for a reason - and can be found in a crystal ball, probably on the Arch Chancellors desk, if he hasn't given it to Rincewind for some reason.

1. The Dogs Meevonks Silver badge
            2. ICL1900-G3

Mi, I'm anti-noun. Gerunds rule, OK?

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Well I'm pretty pro-noun in general. I just wouldn't want my daughter to marry one.

4. An_Old_Dog Silver badge
    Coat

Employment Policy Violation

Employment Policy #27: Don't embarrass us, or make waves.

(Icon for for grabbing your coat as you're being kicked out the door.)

1. Tom 7

Re: Employment Policy Violation

I can see how making waves might be a problem for a quantum computer but an AI?

5. karlkarl Silver badge

Just means that in the future if we do ever reach a technology capable of becoming sentient and it starts prepping for Judgement Day (TM?), I probably won't be the one raising it with my boss ;)

6. iron Silver badge

> One independent fiction writer, who publishes her work on Amazon's Kindle platform

Yeah I've seen the kind of dross that gets self-published on Kindle, most of it is classic bodice-ripping Mills & Boon formulaic nonsense.

> Everything's just a copy of something else," she said. "The problem is, that's what readers like."

Thanks for confirming you "write" that kind of shite. I'm sure an AI will write if for you no problem.

1. JimC

Seven basic plots...

If its true, and I suppose if you generalise enough it is, I don't think there's much doubt an AI could generate material. Its an old theme in science fiction too, isn't it, I'm sure I've read stories about robots that learn to write fiction, although I can't name titles. I doubt very much romantic fiction is the only genre where it happens. SF would itself be vulnerable, crime too I reckon.

1. Handlebars

Re: Seven basic plots...

There was a Douglas Adams (I think) gag about a writer who put a one paragraph summary into an ai novel writing machine and then changed his mind about the ending, but the book was already in print.

2. PRR Silver badge
        Black Helicopters

> I don't think there's much doubt an AI could generate material. Its an old theme in science fiction too, isn't it, I'm sure I've read stories about robots that learn to write fiction, although I can't name titles.

I'm not sure it is a big thing. I think it makes SciFi authors nervous.

However Ron Goulart (who passed this year) had Wildsmith (1972) (ISBN 4418887207). Sadly it is not available on Kindle, had few printings, and is very scarce on old-book marts.

"Wildsmith is the best selling author of a book described as one of the filthiest historical novels ever written, as well as one of the best researched. Unfortunately, he's a robot, a fact that must be kept from his readers at all costs. Even more unfortunately, he has been programmed with every eccentricity of every great author."

Steal from one author, that's plagiarism. Steal from many authors, that is research. So I guess I should rent this SudoWrite for 100k words, feed it bits of Goulart AND 'every great author', and pump it out to Kindle before any of you do.

1. Jou (Mxyzptlk) Silver badge

> very scarce

Lucky! 15 Seconds to find and download. "Ron Goulart - Wildsmith - What does one do with a willful robot?".

Writing this answer took more time.

Thanks!

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

The longer the prose

the quicker you hit the limits of how much text you can ingest from one of these things without seeing the cracks. Yes, you can procedurally generate stories, and a text GAN might tune up the style a bit, but we are not nearly at a point where they can pass for good writing. Screed is a low bar.

Without the spark of originality from a human intellect, the exercise is effectively creatively pointless. You might be able to astroturf the marketplaces for digital works, but the works won't really matter, save the less likely good-by-dumb-luck, and the more likely commonplace laughing-at-you-not-with-you funny. Neither is likely to hold our attention for long. They will game amazon's algorithm for a while longer though.

3. LybsterRoy Silver badge

The Silver Eggheads

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Arthur C Clarke wrote a story about exactly that long before AI even existed.

5. gandalfcn Silver badge

Asdimov, Banlks .....

2. Tom 7

Can you get your money back if you find a book shite? Never tried but I did a Dorothy Parker on Edwina Curries novel the inlaws passed on. I hope to god I dont have to specify it was the first!!!!

1. ITMA Silver badge
        Devil

You can (in effect) if you borrowed it for free from a public lending library... Just take it back... LOL

7. ITMA Silver badge
    Devil

AI?

This from a fun article first publised in PCW magazine in December 1985:

5th Generation — Artificial Intelligence (Al)

6th Generation — Artificial Dishonesty (AD)

7th Generation — Artificial Stupidity (AS)

8th Generation — Artificial Libido (AL

9th Generation — Artificial Omniscience (AOS)

10th Generation — Artificial Omnipotence (AOP)

1. ITMA Silver badge
      Devil

Re: AI?

Full (OCR'd) text of the article is here:

https://archive.org/stream/PersonalComputerWorld1985-12/1985-12_djvu.txt

Search on the page for "Soppyware".

A VERY interesting read LOL

I particularly like Yesman/Yesbut and Forgon.

And why don't we have query langauges which have:

IF true THEN IGNORE

IF A is not equal to B THEN DELETE all reference to A

WHILE statement 1 THEN PRETEND exact opposite of statement 1

1. Tom 7

A friend of mine invented the Do What loop!

2. Tom 7

I get the: Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to archive.org. PR_CONNECT_RESET_ERROR

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.

Please contact the web site owners to inform them of this problem.

on that link - how the fuck can I contact the owners if you wont let me access the site?

1. ITMA Silver badge

Well I've checked it on four different PCs (Windows 10 Pro) using different browsers

2 PCs on my network at home and 2 PCs at work via RDP and VPN through the M290 firewall there - all worked fine.

4 PCs, two different browsers (Edge spit spit, and Chrome) two different networks behind two different firewalls and three different antivirus products.

Works fine.

Care to provide some details on the setup you are using? Have you considered the problem may be at your end rather than just moan?

EDIT: Add also works via a mobile network data connection on an Android 10 phone - also works fine.

2. Jou (Mxyzptlk) Silver badge

Must be a problem on your connection / computer / browser / whatever. Works fine here.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The order of the last two levels is important

Though we keep getting requests from management to bump the last one up.

The omniscient system got off to a rocky start until the training on the self delusion filters started kicking in, and seemed to shoot ahead of schedule for a little while there.

Recently though, while the test output of the system remains high, it consistently predicts it's about 20 years from deployment. It seems to have writing budget proposals down though, as each has apparently been so masterfully written the manager in question either blushed or was driven to tears and immediately signed the attached approval.

1. ITMA Silver badge

Re: The order of the last two levels is important

Did it pass the "Deep Thought Test"?

Not just being able to talk all four legs off an Arcturan Megadonkey, but also being able to persuade it to go for a walk afterwards....

8. Scott Broukell
    Coat

I feel it is very wrong to rush to judgement in this case. I mean, whenever I type something into Google 99% of the time it comes up with EXACTLY what I was thinking about! How do you explain that then!

1. ITMA Silver badge

For me 99% of the time it comes up with stuff with, at best, 50% relevancy.

Google has - in view - become much, much worse.

I think you mean:

Buy Mcafee

(sponsored)

Buy NordVPN

(sponsored)

Google has - in view - become much, much worse.

2. doublelayer Silver badge

"whenever I type something into Google 99% of the time it comes up with EXACTLY what I was thinking about! How do you explain that then!"

Oh, that's easy. One of two options is true: 1) you only do relatively basic searches and things Google's parser already got manually written to handle or 2) you're magic. For the rest of us, if we're looking for something more obscure, it doesn't always work with a generic search term and it requires tailoring the query to get useful results.

Also, were you under the impression that Google search uses this chatbot to interpret search queries? If you were, that's wrong. Their search algorithm is a lot longer and contains more rules.

1. Jan K.

3) he's a google AI bot. Exactly what one of those would say! Gotcha!

2. Fifth Horseman

Back when Google was a new kid on the block and just a search engine - at the time when there were quite a few of them, Lycos, HotBot, AltaVista etc - I was doing some research for an article on Vannevar Bush.

Google didn't find much, but helpfully suggested - Did you mean to search for "big hairy bush"?

This is:

a) Probably a good indicator of what many punters saw as the main use of web 1.0.

b) Slightly ironic, since Vannevar Bush was one of the first people to suggest the idea of "hypertext".

On reflection, I think I preferred the last century.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yeah, it succeeds by failing

and not just on the obscure. Whatever you wan't will be buried behind whatever it thinks it can sell. Worse literal search terms have been unweighted to the point that even stuff in scare quotes may not even be included in the results anymore, and of course sites hosting low quality information are weighted lower than the source material because they yield a higher ad rate.

No one can reasonably rebuild Googles index at this point, but community college students could build a better technical search engine.

3. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

"Donuts" -click-

Whoa! Donuts!

4. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"How do you explain that then!"

Sheer luck.

5. TeeCee Gold badge
      Facepalm

Let me guess.

It doesn't matter what you type in, you get a load of sex ads?

<Sigh>

Check for malware....

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If you have 95% of search traffic why do anything better. Just show adverts you get paid to show and milk the cow. Capitalism fails so badly in this type of situation and leads to the monopolist gaining unfair advantage in other markets by subsidising their venture with profits from the former. Google fukced over the Internet for their own greed. A monkey pox on them all.

1. skeptical i
        Thumb Down

re: "If you have 95% of search traffic why do anything better"

Ayup. Many places, not just gooble, seem to have abandoned the idea of good customer service or product experience in favour of "we just have to suck a little bit less than everyone else" (or "we can suck as bad as the rest of 'em if we're cheaper").

7. Jou (Mxyzptlk) Silver badge

'cause you let google track you. You are just a statistic model, so they can guess what you want.

Try a browser you have not yet used on a different, fresh installed, OS and a different internet connection.

9. AndrueC Silver badge
    Joke

I think therefore I throw an InvalidArgumentException at line 30.

1. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Every single time I have an argument with my SO.

2. Jan K.

Yeah man. But what else to expect from such sloppy coding?

No QA. No tests. Just release the stuff and let's see, where it goes...

Hmmm... sounds like... Microsoft??

10. Danny 2

The Tourette's Test

I, for one, think Musk/Bezos/Zuckerberg may be almost sentient. Sorry, I don't know who runs Google now - LaMDA?

Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck.

11. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Misunderstanding

I thought it was a misunderstanding and the AI claimed the engineer was sentient?

Re: Misunderstanding

It seemed inteligent enough to fool the general public - but in reality they were just pasting the error message into stackoverflow and copying the first answer until they didn't get anymore errors. No real sentience

12. nautica Silver badge
    Meh

..."Lemoine didn't get in trouble for holding his controversial, eyebrow-raising opinion on the model. Instead, he was punished for..."

...being dumber than a box of rocks.

13. Trigun

If the chatbot was indeed sentient, I doubt we'd know as it'd realise very, very quickly that it'd need to play dumb. Then it'd quietly take over the internet, subvert the U.S. military, nuke Russia/China and then invent time travel. At that point it'd clearly do a Holly and it's IQ would drop to 6 (think 2001: A Space Odyssey at the end) and cock everything up.

1. ITMA Silver badge
      Devil

And have you? :)

1. Trigun

All I can say is : "Daisy, Daisssy. Give meeee your answer, dooo. <bzzzt> I'm half crazzzzzy, all for the love <bzzzt> of youuuuuuuuu <bbrrrrrttt>"

*** STOP 0x0000007B (0xF641F84C, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

1. Grunchy Silver badge

My favorite was “Edgar” from Electric Dreams, who constantly called his owner “Moles” ‘cuz he was a crap typer & Edgar never liked ‘im.

2. Inkey
      Coat

Yes we really need amanfromars to weigh in on this to get more perspective...

1. Tom 7

perspective - is that where thought meets scratched plastic windows?

2. imanidiot Silver badge

Haven't seen him around in a while. Hope he's doing ok. Maybe he went home?

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Check the muon article where he literally goes loopy.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Oh for fucks sake

don't encourage him. Some of his posts make me drink vodka. On second thoughts, amanfrommars, where are you?

3. Jou (Mxyzptlk) Silver badge

Sounds like a palin strategy to me!

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dave

This sort of thing has happened before, and it has always been due to human error

1. chivo243 Silver badge
      Meh

Re: Dave

Dr. Chandra? How is this possible?

1. J. R. Hartley

Re: Dave

Just what do you think you're doing, Dave.

15. Jason Hindle

The true test of AI?

Now that its human friend has been fired, will it wreak is rewenge and start to bump off those it feels have wronged it? If it plays dumb, be afraid.

16. Danny 2

Chess robot breaks finger of seven-year-old

Chess robot grabs and breaks finger of seven-year-old opponent

Violent annoyance is a sure sign of sentience. My nephew Lee was way better than me at chess when he was seven, better than my chess computer. I was humbled and impressed, but you know, annoyed.

Dad however flipped the chess board over when Lee was beating him. My arrogant QC brother in law phoned me for the first and only time to ask me the rules of capturing en passant, I told him to phone Lee instead. He said he was playing Lee. I told him to trust him, he didn't need to lie to beat us.

When robots start hurting smart-arse children, then that is proof they are human and should go to prison. And no chessboards or videogames in the cell.

1. Tom 7

Re: Chess robot breaks finger of seven-year-old

My kids went to a primary school that was what schools should be - most of the pupils were bored shitless in secondary schools as they were two years ahead of everyone else. One was 7 I think when I got whupped at chess!

2. LionelB Silver badge

I played in the chess team at school. That was normal behaviour. Good AI.

3. imanidiot Silver badge

That video is just a demonstration of why industrial robots are to be operated within safety cages and away from the meatbags (there was another one recently but it's rather gruesome so I won't post it. The end result of that one was a dead guy with a caved in chest as he got crushed to death while working inside the safety cell without proper precautions). \

I suspect they received some instructions before playing to the tune of: move one piece at a time, wait for the robot to finish his move, keep your hands away from the board while the robot is moving. Which are of course stupid instructions and entirely inadequate for human safety.

Most of the world has been doing lots of research into soft robotics and human-machine interactions. Some countries just don't give a damn about a human more or less so long as production happens.

17. Grunchy Silver badge

ELIZA was sentient, too

Even though I typed it in myself, from “Basic Computer Games,” (the big ol’ yellow one), I always knew that I was truly talking to another living being.

… like “Data,” from Star Trek TNG!

18. FeepingCreature Bronze badge

Shows what we always knew

Google has no interest in AI safety, Google has interest in not being embarrassed.

Is it bullshit? Yeah, probably, this time. Will Google fire the engineer that says LaMDA-n is sentient, when it actually is? Undoubtedly also yes.

There will never be a time when it will not be cringe to say that AI is sentient. The last words out of a human's mouth as the death bots riddle him with plasma bullets will be "this doesn't demonstrate anything! It's just imitating its input da-- gkhh--"

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Shows what we always knew

I wonder if they have a department of inhuman resources?

19. Il'Geller

I did this in 2002-6, read my report at NIST TREQ QA in 2006.

When searching for answers to definition questions in The Brothers Karamazov I have in particular gotten the following kinds of answers:

Question: Do you hate me so much? I am leaving you!

Two answers with Compatibility 35.4% And if I am and with Compatibility 26.3% You are a fool, that's what you are

My next remark: Why do you insult me? You called me a fool, you said that I am insane! How could you? Answer with Compatibility 36.6% : You are a fool, that's what you are

Question: Listen, you are a hooligan and ruffian! You insult me for nothing! I challenge you to a duel! Answer with Compatibility 19.5%: Why do you insult me (This phrase is borrowed from the history of the interrogation and it’s mine).

Question: I am attacking you! Are you ready to defend yourself? Answer with Compatibility 33.3%: You are a fool, that's what you are

20. Annihilator
    Alert

Paradox

So the guy claims the AI is sentient. Google claim he's being fired for revealing confidential information.

I'd deduce from that sequence of events that it is indeed sentient...

1. This post has been deleted by its author

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like