back to article Microsoft Teams outage widens to take out M365 services, admin center

Microsoft's Teams collaboration environment is experiencing an outage, depriving unknown numbers of people of the opportunity to enjoy video and/or audio conferences, or to access documents. Microsoft acknowledged the issue at 01:47 UTC on July 21 and offered the following update around 75 minutes later: We’ve determined that …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

NelsonHaHa.jpg

2. TheBadja

"Those who attend offices may also wish to consider “walking” to a “meeting room”, a facility established with the express purpose of allowing teams of people to interact." and spread COVID.

1. Cederic Silver badge

If they're already in the office together it's a moot point.

Although our meeting rooms connect with the outside world via Teams. Oh well.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The fun bit with this "new normal" way of working is to see meetings where several of you are in the office engaged in the same meeting - via Skype (we still use Skype - it's better, and due to being internally hosted for us, more secure). It's also irritating to be able to hear the lag between when you hear one of the louder spoken people talk directly across the office, and when you hear them in the meeting.

3. jake Silver badge

Also ...

IRC, email and private Usenet hierarchies still exist, and rarely (if ever) go down when run by competent staff.

1. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Re: Also ...

I am amazed how decades ago one could communicate with people on a machine as powerful as current calculators, without slowdowns, lags, nothing.

Then today Teams can bring down a computer being an equivalent of a supercomputer decades ago.

It is also interesting that many data centres ban IRC traffic and installation of IRC servers is forbidden.

Could this be a result of lobbying from companies that try to shove Teams like garbage down our throats?

1. jake Silver badge

It's not about lobbying, it's about marketing convincing consumers and management that ... OH! Look! Shiny!

2. analyzer

Or the baud rate was only 1200/2400, and that would give the systems time to keep up

1. jake Silver badge

Let's throw a little perspective at it.

1200 or 2400 isn't really all that slow ... How fast can you read?

1. Jim Birch

Frames per second?

4. that one in the corner Silver badge

Leverage?

Some strange auto-correct for "use"? Good thing tweets are longer now.

(Then again, I'm being offered "anti-aircraft" and "sure-footed" as corrections for "auto-correct" so maybe there is truth in snark)

5. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Trollface

"I Survived the microsoft teams outage 21 July 2022"

Guys, if you have to make a T-shirt for every Borkzilla outage, . . . well, you've got successful business going there !

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "I Survived the microsoft teams outage 21 July 2022"

Stock management might become a problem, though, with the sheer volume of problems - maybe a T shirt with built-in white paper display and a subscription service would work better.

:)

1. TheRealRoland
        Devil

Re: "I Survived the microsoft teams outage 21 July 2022"

"Well," says the VC, "now that's a much better idea than the lit-up ugly christmas sweater blinking the 'Silent night' song in morse code!"

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My previous employer, a Scottish university, decided not to replace the ageing Cisco VoIP phone system but that everyone would then be using Teams on their PC/laptop for any voice comms. Thankfully I am out of there now but can imagine the amusement this would have caused.

I think their argument about the loss of emergency / 999 call facilities was everyone has a mobile phone these days. Hopefully that will never end up being tested in court.

1. Cederic Silver badge

We're just ditching our expensive telephony system on the grounds the ten people still using it can just use Teams instead.

Even with this outage I support that change.

(We're retaining full telephony for customer engagement, including support, because there's a value proposition there)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Good luck. Basic functionality like call forwarding just doesn't work. Even stuff like deleting local call history isn't even implemented.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Customer engagement? What's that? Spam calls?

1. Cederic Silver badge

No, it's helping them through complex processes and assuring they get the right outcomes, as well as managing simple things like changes of details, requests for information and complaints.

Other terms could apply but 'engagement' felt it covered everything.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

So, helldesk. Why didn't you say so?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Zoom in

My employer has replaced all that handsetty desk furniture with Zoom!

So we're all right, Jack!

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

My employer did the same. There has been no actual phone hardware (except mandatory headsets) for 2 years now.

Every single employee will tell you this was the best thing ever. The company was ready for covid/homeoffice from day one. Worldwide collaboration massively improved and it got "teams" actually closer together. In the time we had maybe 2 or 3 actual outages and one incident where calls to the POTS had bad quality. Not a Microsoft fan, I'm actually a Mac user at work (and Linux at home). I also hate the app because it is much slower than it should be. It is still the best office communication tool I have seen so far.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. EnviableOne

try literally any other collaboration tool.

You'll find that Lync For business AKA teams, is clunky resource hogging and lacking in functionality

Webex, Zoom and Slack are the big guys, but a myriad of smaller providers provide similar or better services at a better quality.

The problem is, as with Excel, "Everyone" uses it, and it's "free" (Included) with your O365 costs, so the PHB and finance wonks, refuse to pay for something that's better because it is good enough...

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Mine did the same, except the cell tower is 12 miles away, so it's "well you can get a text... in 20 minutes or so... if you point the phone the right direction... or maybe not at all"

Edit: old chestnut "That's why I love VoIP. You don't get people phoning up to complain that the network is down."

7. lglethal Silver badge
    Holmes

Oh so Telephones always work huh?

The Register would like to take this opportunity to wish readers the best during this trying time, and to remind them that olde-timey devices called "telephones" still exist and can quite easily arrange at least three-way calls.

Need I remind everyone of this? It was not that long ago...

https://www.theregister.com/2022/07/08/canada_rogers_outage/

Everything can fail when some engineer has a whoops moment...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Oh so Telephones always work huh?

Indeed, and it's even stranger snark when the article itself contains a Tweet from a company saying their telephone system is down.

2. Mike 125

> 'engineer'

Oh my aching sides. Careful, tears cause corrosion.

3. jake Silver badge

"Everything can fail when some engineer has a whoops moment..."

Only if the system has a single point of failure. Or points, as seems to be common today.

4. fidodogbreath

Unless your org also uses Teams for audio calls. I don't think anyone at our shop uses it to arrange three-ways, though, except maybe Marketing.

8. elsergiovolador Silver badge

Harassment

Why roll out of Teams is not considered as harassment in the workplace?

9. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
    FAIL

a recent deployment contained a broken connection to an internal storage service,

i.e. the installer forgot to plug it in.

Seriously, one missing connection and the whole system falls over?

1. DCdave
      Joke

now we know how the spooks set up their dead-man's-handle kill switch

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes.

It highlights how the whole MS ecosystem is a stack of half-baked code, sitting on other half baked code, relying on other half baked code - all replicated millions of times around the world such that I suspect there is no-one in MS who still has a clue how the whole fragile edifice works. It's "interesting" to try logging connections when signing into any of the MS stable of bloatware - to see how your auth relies on being bounced from server to server all over the world (and putting paid to the lies about "local data storage out fo the reach of other countries"). And when just one of those servers breaks, it creates problems for users all over the world - see previous ElReg reports on the various MS outages.

Teams is layers and layers of lipstick, on a circus act of pigs doing the "build a porcine pyramid while riding bikes".

3. ITMA Silver badge

Well....

In the flats where I live in the UK we lost the TV signal for the entire block for best part of a week a while back.

Why?

Some utter moron twat of a Sky "engineer" came to install a Sky Q upgrade for someone. He needed a 13A socket to plug his shiny new shit into - oh none free.

Rather than go to his van to get a short mains extension block out to create some more sockets (not great but it is all low current stuff) he just unplugged something else. His shiny new shitty Sky Q was working so he duly fucked off.

Leaving the entire communal terrestrial aerial distribution system fucked with no power until the landlord called in the company that maintained the system. Fixed in 10 miniutes, entirely avoidable and all because of some Sky "fuckwit" so-called "engineer".

1. SImon Hobson Bronze badge

At which point, the action should be to send a large bill to Sky to cover both the cost of the call out and compensation for all the affected users.

I expect the management company won't have the gumption to do that, or the balls to follow up on it - and if they did, Sky would spend more effort finding excuses why "not my problem guv" than it would cost them to say "oops, sorry - hears a little something by way of an apology". Meanwhile, the clueless f'wit who thinks that's an OK thing to do will carry on with no comeback.

1. ITMA Silver badge

The landord did get a full report fom the proper AV company which came and (very quickly) sorted it out (they maintain the communal TV distribution system).

The landlord came to the same conclusion though - was it worth the hassle with Sky and would they get anything worthwile out of it, probably not.

1. SImon Hobson Bronze badge

I'd be looking at it more from the PoV that while I might not get anything out of it, I'd done my bit in terms of making it a problem for Sky when their engineerstechnicians screw up other people's systems. IN this case, by being just plain f'ing ignorant, the tech has caused problems for many people - and will suffer exactly zero comeback for being an ignorant sh*t.

But for that to change means that everyone with an issue like this needs to make it an issue for Sky - only then with Sky bother making it an issue for their technicians who pull this sort of stunt.

But then, I'm working towards a masters in the Grumpy Old Gits university.

1. jake Silver badge
              Pint

" I'm working towards a masters in the Grumpy Old Gits university."

You don't need to work on that, silly!

That's an hono(u)rary degree, bestowed on you simply for living long enough.

2. ITMA Silver badge
              Devil

I did phone Sky myself about it.. LOL

10. Eclectic Man Silver badge
    Happy

Peace

In the absence of 'Teams', and (as noted above) telephonicular* communications. How about time for a nice cup of tea, and spot of peace and relaxation?

Close your eyes

Sit up straight,

Relax the neck, shoulders and chest.

Extend the arms upwards, outwards and then let them fall gently to the vertical (avoid hitting workplace proximity associates and furniture if possible), allowing the shoulder blades to lie flat against the back.

Inhale deeply through the nose using the diaphragm

Hold that breath for at least 10 seconds.

Exhale gently again through the nose.

Wait 10 seconds at least.

Repeat breathing exercise.

Listen to the peace and calm of a work environment uncluttered by unnecessary conversation.

Repeat breathing exercises until bored. (Or until your local PHB interrupt with 'What the %^&* are you doing?'.)

There now, doesn't that feel better?

*Copyright Eclectic Man 2022

11. thondwe

Points of Failure

POTS telephone - multiple single point of failure. Teams multiple access routes (different ISPs, 3/4G etc), carefully constructed layers of resilience and fault tolerance = hugely complex = multiple points of spectacular failure.

12. disgruntled yank

Numbers

"depriving unknown numbers of people of the opportunity to enjoy video and/or audio conferences"

Should you replace "enjoy" with "make use of"? I think that the number of people who actually enjoy Microsoft Teams conferences must be pretty small.

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Re: Numbers

I assumed it was a typo for "endure"...

2. This post has been deleted by its author

13. xsf

Probably due to MS updating the emoticons on Teams

Probably due to MS updating the enoticons on Teams, breaking something that didn't need fixing in the first place!

1. David Hicklin Bronze badge

Re: Probably due to MS updating the emoticons on Teams

You noticed as well?

I thought they had just got a bit "redder" to match the temperatures in the UK earlier this week

14. Auntie Dix
    Big Brother

Spyware Downtime

Tell panicked micromanagers to use the precious downtime to savor the TOS of this POS corporate spyware.

As you do so, hold up a finger to your laptop cam.

15. J. Cook Silver badge
    Flame

The worst part of it is that I didn't find out until I started my work day and saw the internal notification emails from our support team about it. Granted, there's exactly nothing I could have done about it, but getting informed would have been nice.

Not a peep from Microsoft at all, and I'm the admin for our tenant. :(

(Somehow the boss also knew, and when I speak with him today I'm going to ask if he got any notifications and if so, where he turned them on so I can do the same- I don't like getting blind sided by tripe like this.)

1. Andytug

Downdetector website

Thoroughly recommended for the real picture of downtime :)

16. druck Silver badge
    Facepalm

M328.5 strikes again

When a company making $168bn in revenue over 365 days can't manage more than a single 9 in reliability.

17. Displacement Activity

Remember: telephones exist

In the UK, at least, possibly not for much longer.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Remember: telephones exist

At work our office is being refurbished to make it less user friendly - at least that's how I interpret the plans.

I asked if there would be any desk phones - given that sometimes we need the IT helpdesk to be able to contact us while troubleshooting problems. I got the answer that there will be no desk phones as we all have Skype - neatly missing the point that when our IT isn't working, and we're waiting for a response from the helpdesk (even if it's only to say they've finished their remote work and we can log in again), then Skype isn't an option - and we're not allowed mobiles in the office either.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like