back to article Oracle, Microsoft agree to shared custody of your workloads in the cloud

It just got a little easier to stitch together databases in Oracle Cloud with workloads running in Microsoft Azure with the launch of the duo’s multi-cloud database service. The oh-so-creatively named Oracle Database Service for Microsoft Azure enables customers to provision, access, and monitor Oracle-hosted database services …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is silly

> There’s a well-known myth that you can’t run real applications across two clouds,

Why should anybody even care who owns that particular computer? It is akin to not being able to call someone who is with a different phone company.

One of those cases where regulatory intervention might be required to ensure a minimum of interoperability.

1. MatthewSt

Re: This is silly

The article does go on to address that:

* skillset required to have knowledge of n cloud platforms

* bandwidth charges for data moving between the two

* latency

Standards (Kubernetes?) sort of go a way towards the first, the 2nd you'd have to legislate some form of interconnect rates (Cloudflare have the bandwidth alliance, these two have their own deal), the third you'll find tricky to solve through regulatory intervention

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> Standards (Kubernetes?) sort of go a way towards the first, the 2nd you'd have to legislate some form of interconnect rates

Yup. The first point would also benefit from legislation, if nothing else to mitigate vendor lock in.

As for latency, that's a business decision but nothing stops providers from sharing data centres, much in the way that airlines share airports (and their entire service infrastructure) or train companies run on someone else's tracks.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Note that standards already exist. I have made the business decision to support nothing but OpenStack.

One benefit that one gets for free is that you can move stuff between public and private¹ clouds with pretty much zero additional effort.

¹ The “cloud” is a stupid name but in practice it's just a set of tools to automate server and application provisioning and configuration. It doesn't have to be, and often isn't, someone *else's* computer. Especially with OpenStack.

2. ecofeco Silver badge

Only an idiot would not care about who is holding your data and processing in their hands.

And if it's not on premises, it will never, never, ever, be safe.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> run real applications across two clouds,

What part of the original quote did you fail to understand?

The comment above clearly refers to the ability to use common APIs, not to who is in possession of the data.

2. Peter-Waterman1

In what way will it not be safe?

You encrypt data in the "Cloud" with your own, privately held encryption keys using 256-bit encryption. You can do this at the data layer as well as the storage layer. You can also do this for data in transit.

We have gotten to the point in cybersecurity where we assume we will have a breach. If we presume breaches will happen in the cloud, and on-prem, and protect the data, does it matter where it's stored?

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Well it kinda does, because if youd cloudy server is under attack, you might not know about it until it's too late.

Of course, you can also not know about your on-prem server being under attack, but that would be because you're not paying enough attention.

2. ZenaB

Sorry, but what? Okay, your volume/data is encrypted - but just who is holding the keys to decrypt it?

3. OhForF' Silver badge

Cloud storage and processing in the cloud

Encrypting your data with a key only known to you is an option if you just use the cloud for storing data.

As the article talks about "workloads" and databases its about more than just using the cloud as an external storage device. If you want to do any processing of the data in the cloud you'll have to provide the data in some useful format - which usually rules out encrypting everything interesting.

1. Peter-Waterman1

Re: Cloud storage and processing in the cloud

You can store your client-side encryption keys on-prem, not in the cloud. Use an HSM to store the keys with all the relevant 2FA, monitoring and alerting. When it comes to using the keys to decrypt and process data use secure enclaves to encrypt memory - which is supported in Azure, AWS, and probably GCP as well.

While I am sure no solution is 100% foolproof. The likelihood of an internal Azure engineer/bad guy being able to get your private keys from your on-prem HSM, find the server processing the data in Azure, decrypt the memory and steal your data, without triggering alerts, are so low, that I don't see why the "Cloud" would be any more insecure than on-prem in terms of decrypting data.

2. jake Silver badge

So now I pay rent to not one, but two ...

... companies to ensure I am no longer in control of my corporate compute infrastructure?

No thank you. I'm good.

3. ecofeco Silver badge

Holy...

Are you effing kidding me?! ARE YOU EFFING KIDDING ME?!

Screw that shit.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's interesting

Reading the comments I think one can often get an idea of what kind of people tend to be interested in what aspects is technology. The number of people commenting is clearly small compared to the total readership but nonetheless.

When it comes for instance to "cloud" articles I see a lot of negative comments with one interesting trait: they do not suggest evidence of the commenter having any actual first hand experience with the tech, leading in some cases to wild misconceptions (the biggest being that "it's someone else's computer", private clouds are increasingly common. CERN is one well known example).

My supposition is that a lot of the commentariat consists of computer repair and SMB / corporate IT admin types who are afraid of being put out of a job.

This is not to say that running stuff on public clouds is necessarily a good idea on practical, security or financial terms, obviously there are massive question marks there (which is why I'm very parsimonious with public clouds and stay clear of US vendors), but that shouldn't lead to a dismissal of the technology out of hand. After all, it is basically just a marketing name for something we've been doing all along: a bunch of scripts and more or less half arsed APIs to automate remote server management. It might be somebody else's server, or it might not.

TL;DR from my own experience:

* Proprietary public clouds (AWS, etc): great choice if your goal is vendor lock in and being completely at the mercy of the provider.

* Non-proprietary public clouds (usually OpenStack): do your own assessment, factoring in financial and risk analyses. They are useful in some cases, such as stuff that's supposed to be on the internet to start with, as a plan B for disaster recovery or as a standby to handle infrequent peak loads.

* Private clouds (usually OpenStack or your own, probably shittier, solution): with the advances in visualisation of the last couple decades (containers and so on) we're at a stage where it is possible to repurpose computers on the fly and this means real opportunities for cost (and therefore environmental impact) savings by keeping computers busier more of the time.

PS: A good example of the potential benefits of the last two options is the French government's cloud policy (and infrastructure). They use a private / public mix more or less as described above. Mind, to be a supplier you need to pass a reputedly very hard certification based on ISO-27001 (and basically be European).

1. OhForF' Silver badge

Re: It's interesting

As you're putting a critical view on commenters that do not show evidence of first hand experience with the technology involved I'd like to invite you to provide some details about your own background with setting up and administrating solutions using

* proprietary public clouds

* non proprietary public clouds

* private clouds

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like